Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Yagi, Quad, Rotary dipole, LPDA | TAK-tenna Help

Reviews Summary for TAK-tenna
TAK-tenna Reviews: 144 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $181 USD
Description: High-frequency antenna for 3 to 30 MHz., inclusive

TAK-tenna is Unique and has been awarded U.S. Patent.

Radiating elements use proprietary copper jacketed alloy

Rotatable - Portable - Stealth - Primary & Restricted Space

Very easy to assemble

Sturdy and well built with low wind load Weighs only 5 pounds Very small footprint >p>TAK-tenna 80 Multibander has a 48 inch boom All other models have a 30 inch boom.

Direct feed with 50 or 75 ohm coax on resonant band User chooses resonant frequency Use coax + antenna tuner...or twin lead + antenna tuner for off resonance operation

Power tested to 1000 CW watts at resonance Key down for 30 seconds and 1400 Watts PEP no heat sensed on antenna wire or coax feed point when touched by hand after power testing

High efficiency = NO lossy matching components anyplace in system Directivity = 10 to 14 dB signal increase in transmit with 90 degree rotation with horizontal orientation Vertical orientation provides omni-directional pattern

Shipping world wide

More info: http://www.tak-tenna.com/

You can write your own review of the TAK-tenna.

KM4QML Rating: 5/5 Jul 24, 2017 14:02 Send this review to a friend
Meets my needs well  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
5/5
Although I am not limited by neighborhood covenants, my property foot print is limited and without trees to string a wire antenna far or high enough. In my research for an antenna for a confined space I came across the Tak-tenna. There are many home brew plans for similar designs and I considered a build from scratch. My wife encouraged me to err on the side of convenience. She gave me good advice. In the end, I went with the kit TAK-tenna 80 Standard Style Multiband Antenna.
It arrived with all parts and well packaged. A careful review of the assembly instructions paid off. The premeasured notches and high-quality parts were a plus for me and the antenna came together with ease. The kit saved my time spent searching for parts. The experience was a nice balance between the satisfaction of building an antenna without hassles.
As emphasized in earlier reviews and in the assembly directions, it is very important to resonate any antenna. This is a critical step for getting maximum antenna performance.
Resonating the TAK-tenna was made simple by following the easy instructions in the manual. Properly soldered wire junctions using solder flux are also very important for proper RF current flow.
Using only my rig on low power and only an SWR meter I made the antenna resonant in short order. Resonance paid off on all bands. The antenna tuner provides quick matching and with very little if any churning in the auto-tuner attached to my transceiver.
I was in touch with Steve(WA2TAK) by e-mail (Tak-tenna) for one small build question and he was extremely fast on the reply and very helpful.
My original antenna is a compact multiband vertical. The TAK-tenna is consistently less noisy and performs better across each entire band. It also requires much less tuning in most bands.
I have tried both the vertical mounting option and the horizontal. Currently it is mounted horizontally at a 22-foot height. Although I can switch between my two antennas, I stay on the Tak-tennamost of the time.
The Tak is holding up well in the elements with no loss of performance.
I am very pleased with the TAK-tenna. Glad it was my choice.

Mark/NI2Y

KK6YO Rating: 5/5 Mar 17, 2017 06:04 Send this review to a friend
I can't believe it's a antenna :=)  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Update: 20 feet up: horizontal. compared to my bazooka. 2 s units different. weird little thing BUT it actually works. A little patience and you will have a better than average antenna. Very cool. For those who can't get it to work. Send it to me (JK). 73 to all and see you on 7.155 morning group. Jerry KK6YO
P.S.
Remember this is not a full size antenna so don't expect it to work like one. It definately is not a POS.

KK6YO Rating: 4/5 Mar 14, 2017 16:13 Send this review to a friend
Good and Challenging   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Ok, I just put the antenna together and tuned to 7.010 @ 1.5 to 1. Put it up and it received @ 11 feet 5 s units lower than my double bazo0ka up 40 feet. I was surprised on how well the antenna does being as small the foot print is. But is is no way close to how the bazooka works. I know what you are thinking. The bazooka is completely a different animal. I agree. I plan to do more testing as this morning on the 7.155 group I came on using my heathkit sb-200 to push the TAK antenna with out the group knowing, @ 500 watts I was still an average of 3 s units down on what the guys were hearing me. That being said I turned the antenna from north to south to east to west and the signal came up 2 s units. (NVIS?) Maybe. Anyway this is a great little antenna to experiment with and I will update as I see necessary. If you live in a cc and r location, it will still be better than nothing. 74 to all KK6yo - Jerry

N9ZWY Rating: 5/5 Oct 12, 2016 22:12 Send this review to a friend
Good Product & Exceptionally Great Service  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've been an on-and-off ham for the last 21 years. My experience with the Tak-Tenna has been awesome.

Back in 2011 I purchased the 80 Tak-Tenna. A good friend of mine, Mark (KB9SCT) helped me build the antenna in my back yard. The process was not terrible, and really kept my interest - as opposed to being a chore or something.

The Tak-Tenna was 90% assembled, but because of children, job changes, and moves, I had to keep putting the antenna in the rafters of the garage.

Enter 2016...the dawn of the completion of my Tak-Tenna journey. Steve was incredible with his support of helping me polish this project. (At one point, we even had a phone tag thing going and he would go out of his way to seek me out. Never had that kind of support before.)

Admittedly, the process of tuning took a bit of time. However, it is something I have learned a lot from, and is something that is a time-honored part of amateur radio. As of tonight, a Comet CAA-500 Mark 2 antenna analyzer shows that the antenna literally has an SWR of 1.0:1 at 3.7MHz. Had to take a picture of the Comet's LCD display for posterity.

Although I'm dealing with issues with high SWR on certain bands at the moment, I've sent a message to Steve to see if he has any suggestions. He really seems to know his product, in and out.

Cheers to Steve, his creation, and his support.

Todd
N9ZWY

N2RRA Rating: 4/5 Mar 18, 2016 14:03 Send this review to a friend
It works, but got to be honest.  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have to be honest here.

Wrote a review back in 2007 a bit to hastily. I finally got this antenna to work, but for me worked great in the vertical position. Couldn't get it to work in the horizontal position, but that could've been my fault due to being in patient with it. Even then, I can't take away the fact this antenna did work well and I think now I was better off. When I did use it I enjoyed making the contacts with good signal reports when I didn't think it was gonna be possible.

My expectations were very high cause I am spoiled with much bigger arrays and my experience with home brewing all my various wire antennas through the years. That being said if it didn't meet my specific requirements I would'nt have held on too it all this time.

This antenna is great to experiment with and will help those in living quarters that are restricted from putting up anything twenty times larger.

Luckily just moved and back in the game installing a tower so off it goes to the next ham that will enjoy making DX and local contacts he, or she couldn't make before. Tax-Tenna produced a good thing for those in need.

Probably would've rated a 3 being its a pain to tune, but rated a 4 for over all performance for apartment dwellers and HOA needs along with performance.

73!

WB4MWT Rating: 5/5 Mar 14, 2016 15:23 Send this review to a friend
Great small antenna that rivals larger wire antennas  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased the 40 meter antenna in 2010. In the vertical omni-directional position at 9' high and running 100 watts, I have worked a lot of DX with no real problems. Compared to my S-9 vertical, the antenna's performance is close to equal during the day with state-side contacts, and slightly below working DX at night.

After having some external line noise problem, I contacted Steve, the owner, for advice. With many emails back and forth for a week, I found out I had my antenna improperly tuned, and Steve led me through the process of retuning the antenna with my transceiver that came out near perfect to the desired frequencies and with low SWR.

I cannot say enough about the customer service. Steve went the extra mile with his time and effort to help me get my antenna tuned right. In the process of collecting data on my antenna, I learned a whole lot more about how this antenna works and operates. It was a fun and enjoyable experience working with Steve.

The TAK-tenna for its size, foot print, performance, and ease of maintenance is more than a portable antenna. One outstanding feature is that this small antenna can be operated with up to 1000 watts. Most other antennas this size can only be operated with low power. With all the these features I highly recommend the TAK-tenna.

AB2JD Rating: 5/5 Jan 24, 2016 08:24 Send this review to a friend
Very effective  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This is a really effective antenna for people who do not have much space. I mainly use it for digital operation (PSK 31/JT9/JT65) and my station was monitored as far away as Western Australia using just 15W. Another advantage is that the TAK-tenna does not have to be erected very high. Mine is just 15' up on glass fiber poles. I assembled it together with a friend of mine, who is a lot handier than I am. But I am sure that you can do the assembly yourself if you follow the instructions carefully. Right now, the TAK-tenna is mounted horizontally and I am anxious to see if results are different when it is up vertically. In conclusion, a great product if you are space restricted and still want to be heard outside your own country or even continent.

KR3NO Rating: 1/5 Jan 21, 2016 06:04 Send this review to a friend
???????  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought one of these antennas years ago. It just hit me, it was not a joy to put together (a kit, I mean KIT!) for $200 bucks. They should be ashamed. The two end elements should be assembled for that kind of money (it's only copper wire). Total cost of parts in the box, $15 on the outside. As a matter of fact I remember making one side and giving up because of the effort I had put into it. So I never did complete it. The box contains basically copper weld wire, a few pieces of PVC and some tie wraps. It should be half the price.

KW0K Rating: 5/5 Nov 22, 2015 15:01 Send this review to a friend
Great on my RV  Time owned: more than 12 months
This antenna is a 5 all the way, especially for RV USE. Used It for 3 years from all over the US, Canada & Mexico. Used iron water pipe for mounting on roof ladder about 6 ft above RV roof,,,no radials needed added to convenience. Configured it for easy assembly and disassembly and storage under main bed while enroute. Follow instructions for building and setting resonance and you will not be disappointed. Doug KW0K

K6TUH Rating: 5/5 Jun 16, 2015 16:25 Send this review to a friend
great antenna  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Purchased a 20 meter antenna. Great customer service. Answered all my question.
Very quick in responding.