Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Yagi, Quad, Rotary dipole, LPDA | TAK-tenna Help

Reviews Summary for TAK-tenna
TAK-tenna Reviews: 147 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $181 USD
Description: High-frequency antenna for 3 to 30 MHz., inclusive

TAK-tenna is Unique and has been awarded U.S. Patent.

Radiating elements use proprietary copper jacketed alloy

Rotatable - Portable - Stealth - Primary & Restricted Space

Very easy to assemble

Sturdy and well built with low wind load Weighs only 5 pounds Very small footprint >p>TAK-tenna 80 Multibander has a 48 inch boom All other models have a 30 inch boom.

Direct feed with 50 or 75 ohm coax on resonant band User chooses resonant frequency Use coax + antenna tuner...or twin lead + antenna tuner for off resonance operation

Power tested to 1000 CW watts at resonance Key down for 30 seconds and 1400 Watts PEP no heat sensed on antenna wire or coax feed point when touched by hand after power testing

High efficiency = NO lossy matching components anyplace in system Directivity = 10 to 14 dB signal increase in transmit with 90 degree rotation with horizontal orientation Vertical orientation provides omni-directional pattern

Shipping world wide

More info: http://www.tak-tenna.com/

You can write your own review of the TAK-tenna.

KR3NO Rating: 1/5 Jan 21, 2016 06:04 Send this review to a friend
???????  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought one of these antennas years ago. It just hit me, it was not a joy to put together (a kit, I mean KIT!) for $200 bucks. They should be ashamed. The two end elements should be assembled for that kind of money (it's only copper wire). Total cost of parts in the box, $15 on the outside. As a matter of fact I remember making one side and giving up because of the effort I had put into it. So I never did complete it. The box contains basically copper weld wire, a few pieces of PVC and some tie wraps. It should be half the price.

KW0K Rating: 5/5 Nov 22, 2015 15:01 Send this review to a friend
Great on my RV  Time owned: more than 12 months
This antenna is a 5 all the way, especially for RV USE. Used It for 3 years from all over the US, Canada & Mexico. Used iron water pipe for mounting on roof ladder about 6 ft above RV roof,,,no radials needed added to convenience. Configured it for easy assembly and disassembly and storage under main bed while enroute. Follow instructions for building and setting resonance and you will not be disappointed. Doug KW0K

K6TUH Rating: 5/5 Jun 16, 2015 16:25 Send this review to a friend
great antenna  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Purchased a 20 meter antenna. Great customer service. Answered all my question.
Very quick in responding.

WB2QWU Rating: 5/5 Jan 26, 2015 20:03 Send this review to a friend
Great for HOA restricted homes  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Living in an HOA antenna restricted community I need an antenna that would allow me to get back onto the HF frequencies. The Tak-tenna was easy to put together. The pre-drilled holes aligned perfectly and the slots for the wire were cut so the wires stayed tightly in place until they were secured with the wire ties. The Tak-tenna is installed vertically about 10 feet off the ground between a wall and the house, not the best of locations, but the best I can do. I had no problems getting the antenna to resonate at 1.3:1 at 7.175 mhz. Using my tuner, I have made contacts on 80, 40, 20, 18, 15 meters with reports from S-4 to S-9 depending on conditions. Also, I do not pick up much background noise like I did on a wire antenna. All in all, this is a great antenna. Sure you can make it yourself for cheaper, but I would rather spend my time making QSO,s then trying to DOY it.
Photo of the installation can be seen on TAK-tenna web page.

N2AMA Rating: 5/5 Dec 5, 2014 20:34 Send this review to a friend
Excellent no compromise antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The TAK-tenna is a great no compromise antenna.
I have tried several other antennas for restricted spaces including long wire end fed designs and verticals with an autotuner and this is hands down the best!
The TAK-tenna was a fun to build kit and only took the afternoon build and install including spray painting a coat of matte black and it looks really sharp!
The TAK-tenna tunes up easily with my IT-100 tuner and I regularly use it for Winlink and I have made SSB contacts on 40 Meters as far away as Italy from my home in upstate NY

N5ATZ Rating: 5/5 Jul 15, 2014 18:05 Send this review to a friend
TAK-Tenna is great on small lots!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been using TAK-tennas for over two years. I have owned four of them. I have read many reviews stating that they do not work. If you can read and follow directions, they can work very well.

I am currently running the 80-meter version mounted at about 15 feet. It takes up a very small footprint.

Since I have been using TAK-tennas, I have made numerous DX contacts, including stations in Croatia, Finland, Cuba, Costa Rica, Mexico, Japan, and other countries in Europe and South and Central America. I have also made many US and Canada contacts as well. I ran the 40-meter version for over a year and I was quite satisfied with it. However, my personal experience suggests that the 80-meter antenna works better on 40 meters than does the 40-meter version. Both versions work very well on 20, 17, 15, and 10 meters. An antenna tuner is required to use any of them on bands other that which they were originally designed.

My rig is an ICOM IC-7200 working in conjunction with an LDG IT-100 Autotuner. I normally run the ICOM at about 90 watts.

One must absolutely follow the assembly instructions to the letter to get these antennas working properly. It is not that difficult. Additionally, they must be resonated as described in the instructions. I initially tried to accomplish this by using the SWR meter on my transceiver. That got me sort of in the ball park, but when I used an antenna analyzer to resonate it, that process went much better. I would never again try to resonate one without an analyzer. The process takes some time, it is an iterative process, but just be patient and it will all come together.

Steve, the proprietor of the tak-tenna company, is a very helpful individual. I have talked with him on the phone and exchanged numerous emails with him since I have been using these antennas. He will get back to you very quickly and is a very knowledgeable ham and engineer. When I ordered my last antenna from him, he was in the process of moving to another state. He dropped what he was doing and shipped my antenna the day I ordered it. Talk about service!

One more thing, if your TAK-tenna becomes damaged (as in a Texas wind storm), you can go down to the local hardware store and find materiel to fix it.

I have a very small lot, and this antenna has performed very nicely for me, tucked in it's small corner of the back yard.

N2TNQ Rating: 5/5 Mar 14, 2014 09:33 Send this review to a friend
Tak-tenna 80 Great antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
An easy antenna to put together. Have been using it in the vertical position for over two years. No problem talking to Europe or South America with 100 watts. Has also worked well with a max of 500 watts to South Africa.

S52CC Rating: 5/5 Nov 1, 2013 13:37 Send this review to a friend
DXCC 200 in 5 years  Time owned: more than 12 months
On October 29 2013, I worked Robert, 3B9FR on 12 m band CW and this was my 200th DXCC entity worked with TAK-tenna 40 multiband antenna 183 of them being already confirmed. Well worth a small celebration I guess.

In the past five years that I have this TAK-tenna, I have logged 4373 QSOs on all bands between 40 and 10 m bands, some even on 80 m. The resonated antenna is 50 Ohm direct-fed and vertically oriented.

Protruding from a 3rd story balcony of my previous apartment the antenna was “blocked” by the building on the north-west. Between the building and the paved street some 11 m below there was a narrow stripe of grass.

My present balcony (3rd story again) is inside a 5 story U-shaped construction visually open only to the south. About 8 m below the antenna is the concrete roof of a supermarket. Even with these restrictions I worked over 90 DXCC entities in all parts of the world in less then a year. Just like before my equipment is the Yaesu FT-450 with maximum 100 W output.

I am sure that no other antenna would have ever brought me more pleasure than those two little spirals, and just as TAK-tenna states it has “brought excitement to my QSOs”.

Vince, S52CC

N3HBV Rating: 5/5 Oct 26, 2013 05:41 Send this review to a friend
TAK-tennas are working like a champ!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I installed the 20m and 40m-multiband TAK-tennas three months ago and have been very pleased with their performance. I have them at 20 feet, horizontal polarity, and am using a simple TV rotor for azimuth. They were straight forward to both assemble and resonate with an SWR analyzer, and the MFJ-969 tuner has no problem adjusting for optimum SWR when changing bands. The TAK-tennas are outperforming my G5RV jr. and have definitely added a very positive dimension to my DX capabilities.

VK1IRC Rating: 5/5 Apr 9, 2013 01:50 Send this review to a friend
TAK-tenna 80 - Great HF antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
Ok.. Point 1. TAK Antenna is a VERY effective antenna..
After achieving resonance at GROUND level, I have had a HAM friend help me with putting the TAK up on a telescopic mast (and soldering taps to final position) that has been put in at QTH.. With ground Earth. I have to say that resonance with this antenna did take some time but an Antenna analyser did pull this antenna in for me easily... at the end. Father & son assistance did speed it up. Since then... GERAT performance...
Taps soldered into final position (very important). Well.... I have to say that after ONE (1) day of the Tak being up and plugged into the rig, I have achieved a contact to VE7AV (in log on QRZ.com page), British Columbia Canada which I have to say is a BIG BIG achievement from VK1 land (on 100W.. Kenwood TS 2000). Also... all around VK 3, VK 4... 5, 7 etc... getting Great reports from the TAK. Various SOTA contacts as well and ZL 4/2 New Zealand calling ME.. on a DX net. This is an Awesome antenna. Highly recommended...Very well designed. PSK receive great as well, Multibander does the job extremely well with tuner in rig.
Every station that I contacted (without) the Tak previously has said that my signal is MUCH better than ever on the TAK TENNA.
So.... Knowledge sharing from Steve is a big factor. Steve has extensive knowledge to assist you with getting this antenna up and on the air from your QTH. He will work wih you 100%.... post sale as well.
TAK really is a very unique antenna that works...
Very Happy.