Reviews Categories | Filters, Audio: (DSP and others) | bhi NEIM1031 Help

Reviews Summary for bhi NEIM1031
bhi NEIM1031 Reviews: 15 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $129.95
Description: Similar to NES10-2 MK2 but has advantage of using ANY speaker, ie Kenwood SP-230.this product really does remove un-wanted noise as well as using Headphones.
More info: http://www.bhinstrumentation.co.uk/

You can write your own review of the bhi NEIM1031.

VK2NZA Rating: 4/5 Aug 19, 2017 02:48 Send this review to a friend
Excellent performer.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned most of BHI's noise reduction products and they are excellent at what they do.
The NEIM1031 is no exception. Even the best DSP equipped transceivers/receivers can benefit from one of these in line to an outboard speaker.
Although an AF DSP they are very effective.

The Downside!
For all the effectiveness of BHI's DSP units they all suffer from poor construction and low quality fittings and jacks IMHO.

The company really need to employ an ergonomics person to lay out the controls in a more user friendly fashion .
For the cost of their products better quality jacks and pots should be employed.
A more substantial weighted enclosure with rubber grommets in order that it not slide around on the desk when operating controls and replace the main DSP ultra mini plastic thingy??? with a decent control for an average sized fingers.
This DSP knob is just pathetic.
On their NES10 -1-3 models the mini phono jack is interfered with by the bracket that holds the speaker, and controls and jacks are placed on 3 sides of the unit, not very manageable and just an ill thought out concept.
Please BHI I like the effectiveness of your product BUT for the price better quality enclosures,controls and a better designed layout is necessary.
I have rated the product a 4 just because the quality of construction is not good enough especially for the price asked.

G7HZZ Rating: 3/5 Mar 21, 2014 10:03 Send this review to a friend
. . but not good enough.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Update to previous review. Sadly, the NEIM1031 was returned because it removed a lot of airwave QRN but added almost as much DSP pulsing noise which is quite noticeable and distracting when weaRING 'CANS'.

MM0OVV Rating: 4/5 May 13, 2013 04:36 Send this review to a friend
You'll be lost with out it  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
First of I'm going to start with the Negatives of this little device.
The little box is light and is a bit cheap and plasticky looking.
Which on first impressions doesn't fill you with much confidence.
When mines first came it didn't work out of the box, a phone call to BHI and it was sorted.

They had got a batch of power leads from China and the Crimping was sub standard.

The chap I spoke to new right away what the problem was as he had had to go through a batch of product to replace the power leads.

He offered to send me out a new lead and he explained how to fix it with a soldering iron which I did easy enough.

However the thing that will annoy you the most about this little device is the filter level control (knob).

It keeps falling off.

It's a little ( too little for my big hands) Gray knob that has 8 sections 0 - 7 that is used to give you more or less filtering.

Ironically it's the smallest knob on the device that's used the most.

The knob fits into the electronic device underneath it like a key with little plastic cog.

The problem with the design of the little knob and device underneath is that it's designed really just to calibrate something and then for the little device to be left alone.

Here it's the knob that's used the most.

I suspect because of what it does they can't find a device more suited to the job.

But I wished they could as it really lets the side down.

Now for the positive.

This little device with the Gray knob that keeps falling off ( oh by the way don't make the same mistake that I almost did and think you can fix the problem with super glue. Chances are you won't get it to turn again.).

Where was I ... Yes this wonderful little thing breathed a new lease of life into my radio.

Yes folks it really does work.

There are enough utube examples to go and have a look at and what you see and hear does work.

I have a TS 2000 and it really makes my radio sing.

For thoughts that haven't used one they can be a bit noisy but the 1031 will allow you to hear signals a lot better.

It's a bit like listening to one of the more recent newer rigs that have just come out with there up to date DSP a nice low noise floor level.

Am I saying this would replace you purchasing a 3 or 4 grand rig no I'm not but the 144 is well worth the money.

And I can guarantee it will put a smile on your face.

I should say at this point that it takes a bit of playing with the controls for a time to get the best out of it and for you to get your ear used to it.

I would suggest not to over drive it and to keep the overload red LED off just.

I would be lost without it now and perhaps the chaps at BHI will see this review and maybe be able to do something about the little Gray knob.

G7DMQ Rating: 5/5 Apr 22, 2013 12:36 Send this review to a friend
Amazing!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I suffer from a lot of noise in an urban area - TV's LED lights, fibre modems to name a few!

I've only had mine 2 days - but tis the first time 80m has been usable and I'm able to hear many more stations clearly on all bands. It's the first time that I can hear more stations than can hear me - I only have 100w.

If your QTH is noisy - this will make you smile! I'm delighted!

Only two negatives so far. It's a bit RF sensitive so you get the speaker buzzing a little while you speak.
Also, while you are transmitting, the AGC ramps up and when you in-key the mic, you hear a short burst of noise.

I can live with these for the advantage it gives though.

M0AZE Rating: 5/5 Mar 27, 2013 13:47 Send this review to a friend
A necessity!   Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased one some 7 years ago and used it on my TS 870 as 80 meters here was almost impossible to use due to noise on the band. What a transformation...

The difference was just as it was demonstrated at a local ham rally.

TS 870 replaced with ICOM 756 pro III and BHI unit was relegated to the cupboard. Audio output was low and I kind of managed without it. Knowing it still has a place in my shack I enquired if I could have the unit repaired and brought up to current spec. The cost was extremely reasonable and the turn round was just 7 days. Great service. Now it's back in service it really does make a difference even when working with the radio's own DSP. Many You Tube videos should you doubt its effectiveness. Not cheap but its a quality product doing a really effective job. If you suffer from too much noise or no longer using bands give this a try you won't regret it.

WU0R Rating: 5/5 Dec 21, 2011 08:30 Send this review to a friend
Great addition to the Shack  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently purchased one of these new and really enjoy it. I was going to purchase a used one from an N4 ham but he was so rude and ignorant, I opt'd to just get a new one.

I have mine hooked up between two current DSP based transceivers and it really takes out the noise. Using the radio's DSP and adding the DSP module, really does a number on the noise.

I laugh at the individuals that complain about the price (you know that before you buy it, don't you?)so I don't get it being an issue in a review.

The controls could be more robust but then again, you shouldn't be man handling it, just using it as required. Never been inside the unit and have no reason to remove the covers. Not sure why anyone would, but shouldn't complain afterwards when the break something internal to the unit. If hooked up correctly, shouldn't give you a problem.

Go on YOUTUBE and check out the GAP DSP Module in use with a TS-940. You can hear the difference!

I bought the GAP version which I believe is the same, just under the GAP umbrella now.

IW0GVG Rating: 5/5 Oct 21, 2011 23:36 Send this review to a friend
Superb  Time owned: months
Great!!

2E0AYQ Rating: 5/5 Jun 7, 2011 15:07 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: more than 12 months
this unit really does make a differance i live in a area which is very noisey rf wise 5/7 on 80m.
The neim 1031 connects up to the ex speaker socket on your radio then you connect your speaker to the unit It has also got a socket for headphones
when I turn it on it cuts the qrm to virtually 0
it has 7 dsp settings. you can also adjust the audio output to suit your radio it has made the hobby a lot more enjoyable for me

VE6AGE Rating: 5/5 Mar 14, 2011 17:06 Send this review to a friend
Superb, Just Superb  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just got my new BHI / NEIM-1031 MKII this afternoon and all I have to say is, "it works great". Taking out a lot of noise and now I can hear stuff I could never hear before. Superb, just superb and I highly recommend it. Also, the price is right compared to other similar products.

VK3MDD Rating: 3/5 Feb 28, 2010 14:21 Send this review to a friend
ok for radios with no dsp  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
definitely didnt help me pull out a weak signal beneath the noise level. My pro3 and 1000 Mkv worked just as well without it. It also seemed a little prone to rf , ie I could hear a muffley noise when transmitting. Id perhaps reccomend it for a pre dsp radio