Reviews Categories | Filters, Audio: (DSP and others) | bhi NEIM1031 Help

Reviews Summary for bhi NEIM1031
bhi NEIM1031 Reviews: 15 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $129.95
Description: Similar to NES10-2 MK2 but has advantage of using ANY speaker, ie Kenwood SP-230.this product really does remove un-wanted noise as well as using Headphones.
More info: http://www.bhinstrumentation.co.uk/

You can write your own review of the bhi NEIM1031.

VA7DH Rating: 5/5 Aug 24, 2009 10:05 Send this review to a friend
Saves your hearing  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently saw a listing for BHI noise eliminating equipment on eHam. I elected to get the NEIM 1031 unit based on recommendations there and was not disappointed,it works really well. There is a tiny bit of warbling in the audio but not anywhere as bad as other built in units on HF transceivers and receivers that I've listened to. I've noticed that a lot of older hams completely lose their hearing and believe that the QRN hi impulse noise contributes to that. It's MHO that the BHI equipment can greatly extend a person's ability to hear by several years. The cost is worth it and I've noticed that I can carry on listening much longer without getting overly tired. Noise does that to you. Thank you BHI.

M0FRH Rating: 5/5 May 15, 2009 23:30 Send this review to a friend
Best addition  Time owned: more than 12 months
Best addition to my station. I own a 1000 plus of radio and this device knocks spot off the DSP in the set. Used on SSB and FM all the time. Highly recommed. 73

F8AFC Rating: 5/5 Jan 31, 2009 12:34 Send this review to a friend
Nice RX improvment !  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Fully agree with the last previous comment, but rate it at 5 (maybe due to the excitement of this recently bought acquisition) I'll only talk about SSB mode here.

Unit is almost a plug&play solution, settings are easy to handle, and over-all preliminary results are very encouraging. I certainly have to get more used to it, but I can already say that it seems to be working as it should! I could for, example, pull out a XU7 station on 40m in a noisy environment: I barely listened to him with the unit OFF, and he was full readable when I switched the DSP ON. That was not a "armchair" copy, but it would have been a lot tougher/longer/impossible(?) without it.
Levels of filtering need to be finely adjusted according to the noise type and the Signal Over Noise ratio, but I'm very happy with it. Pushing too much the filter level give you a watery background noise, and a robotic voice on the wanted signal (may/may not like, depends o you).
Things to remember:
- This unit will NOT give you an "easy" reading of a very weak signal. But it will greatly improve it, above all if used with headphones as I do.
- This unit will not allow you to read a station deeply buried in the noise that you can't even guess. This is not a magic box!
- This DSP is a lot better than the DSP used in my transceiver (Yaesu FT-920), but combinations of both looks very promising.
As a summary, with a bit of patience to handle the trade-offs noise/ S/N / filter level, this unit will give a GREAT improvment of the reception. It is more than useful on the low bands, a great investment!

G4TRA Rating: 4/5 Mar 17, 2008 08:02 Send this review to a friend
Works OK  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have the NEIM1031 connected to my FT1000mp Mk5 feeding either a matching Yaesu speaker or my sensational Sony MD7506 headphones.

The unit does what it says, it reduces noise. Strong HF SSB signals in a noisy band will be more readable and fatigue reduced. Indeed 80m rag chewing starts to sound like 2m FM! Weaker signals too will be made more easily readable especially when headphones are used. However signals on the noise floor will be lost, it is better to allow the natural processing capability of the ears do the work here and pull the signal from the noise floor. The different levels of audio processing are from 1 to 8. I tend to use from 2-5 depending upon level of noise.

There are a couple of oddities: On initial switch on, regardless of the noise eliminator being switched out, the audio through it will be altered, plus the unit could do with a little more output power.

Compared to my Mk5 noise reduction system the NEIM1031 is infinitely better. Also it is better than the system on my IC746 too which I always thought was quite reasonable.

However ergonomically the controls are less than rugged and even though the noise elimination level switch has been changed from earlier models, it is still a small fragile control, as are the two on-off slide switches on the front panel. Overall this unit could do with a mechanical beef up.

GD7ARS Rating: 5/5 Jun 11, 2007 14:31 Send this review to a friend
5/5  Time owned: months
Have tried other well known filters, but none worked as good as BHI NEIM1031.
This filter will pull weak stations out of noise & make them readable!!