Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Cushcraft AR-270 Dual Band Ringo 2m/70cm Help

Reviews Summary for Cushcraft AR-270 Dual Band Ringo 2m/70cm
Cushcraft AR-270 Dual Band Ringo 2m/70cm Reviews: 25 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $89.99
Description: VHF/UHF Base antenna
More info: http://www.cushcraft.com/

You can write your own review of the Cushcraft AR-270 Dual Band Ringo 2m/70cm.

K6JM Rating: 5/5 Apr 2, 2011 15:13 Send this review to a friend
Excellent dual bander for its small size  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had the 3.75 foot tall AR-270 up for 8 years. It has stood up well to the weather, and continues to perform well. Taller antennas will have more gain, but for the size, the AR-270 does great. No complaints.

AI4WM Rating: 4/5 May 9, 2010 16:47 Send this review to a friend
Nice antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
First, the photo shows an AR-270B. The 270B is much taller than the 270. There needs to be 2 review sections to distinguish between the 2.
I bought the AR-270 a few years ago to use as an antenna in my jump kit. However our local work is all done on VHF. I used this antenna on VHF only for a few years and then retuned it for both bands and permanently installed it about 6 months ago for dual band use. The antenna performs fine on 2 meters with 3.3 dB gain and on UHF with 5.5 dB gain. Material and construction quality is fine with the antenna if only the manufacturer used a better method to connect the coax to the antenna and use N instead of UHF connectors. The reason the antenna earns a 4.
For those who need a nice compact antenna for emergency deployment this is a nice compact easy to use antenna. VHF tuning went fine and is flat at 1.1:1 to about 1.5:1 worst case across the band. UHF is not linear with high SWR near the band ends and in the middle best is 1.5:1 and the peaks about 2:1

KC2VOB Rating: 5/5 Aug 16, 2009 06:22 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Antenna  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Please differentiate between AR-270 and AR-270B. I got AR270B at a height of about 50’, fed with 75’ Times Microwave LMR400. The setup does an excellent performance with very low loss both on 2m & 70cm. It enables me to make contacts through a 2m repeater located about 70 miles from me with an S9 on receive. May be it’s assisted by the sunny and hot weather here. As for 70cm, I got a Motorola GP300 programmed to 440 for portable use. I was able to make contacts with home at a range of 4-5 miles with plenty elevations & exposed power lines. One a hilly peak, behind a mountain, I was able to make contact at a distance of about 20 miles. From my experiment, Diamond V2000 and AR270B electrically compare side by side on amateur bands. What’s more interesting about Cushcraft’s ringo antennas is that their length can be adjusted to desired frequencies. Speaking of strength, AR-270B has stood one full season of the daily monsoon windstorms in S Asia. I posted a video of mine on YouTube under my call sign KC2VOB.

K3DLB Rating: 5/5 Jul 23, 2008 16:31 Send this review to a friend
Perfect For Indoor Use  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had very good luck with this antenna. I have it mounted to a vent pipe on the roof of my townhouse. It was easy to assemble and works great on both bands. Also, it's perfect for indoor use if you have antenna restrictions.

W3RXO Rating: 3/5 Apr 18, 2008 20:31 Send this review to a friend
I wish this site distinguished between the AR270, and AR270B  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had an AR270, and was very disappointed with it, after a short time. It just didn't have the quality parts, and fell apart, after less than a year. I had a friend with an AR 270B, who had upgraded to a Diamond, and didn't need the 270B. The "B" has been in service now, for about 14 months, and is still doing well, for an antenna that was likely a year, or more old, when I got it. It certainly is a better antenna than the 270. I gave an overall rating of 3, as the 270 should get a 2 and the 270B should get a 4, in my opinion.

K4JC Rating: 3/5 Jan 31, 2008 14:39 Send this review to a friend
OK on 2m, great UHF dummy load!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had the AR-270 for several years in different locations, and have found it works fine on 2 meters, with performance equivalent to a 1/2-wave antenna. The performance on 440, however, is pretty poor. When compared to a 1/4-wave ground plane under similar conditions, the ground plane consistently outperforms the Cushcraft. The only advantage is the AR-270's size. It's small and light, and fits nicely in an attic as an emergency/backup antenna. But for the same (or less) money, I think you would be better off getting a Comet GP-1 or Diamond X-30A.

NB7I Rating: 3/5 Sep 3, 2007 05:38 Send this review to a friend
Works, but why bother?  Time owned: more than 12 months
Had a AR-270B up for about 7 years. Replaced it with a Diamond X50A after the Cushcraft corroded/loosened up/quit working on 440. The Diamond is a much better antenna for harsh enviroments, and the same price.

WA0KAQ Rating: 5/5 Apr 17, 2007 09:35 Send this review to a friend
Works great!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've run the AR-270 both as a portable and fixed antenna, and for the money, I love it. It is small in size, yet I can work mobiles at 35 miles or more with it running about 40 watts on 2 meters, and it is mounted at only 15' - just barely clearing the roof top (darn antenna restrictions here). I've now had it installed permanently for 3 years without a problem. The two meter section seems to work better than the 70 cm, but there's always a bit of trade-off when using multi-band antennas.

I also have the AR-270B (the big brother to the AR-270) available for ECOMM work, as it boasts a little more gain. It has worked great in that capacity.

KB5OZE Rating: 5/5 Jan 19, 2007 03:18 Send this review to a friend
Excellent antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
It survived Katrina at 25 feet when the Rohn tower fell down (in 144 mph windows). I have had it for 5 years with 1 problem (3 years ago). The SWR's went up to about 4. I took it down, cleaned all the oxidation off, sprayed clear lacquer (4 coats) over the whole antenna. It still looks and performs like it is brand new. I recommend this antenna to anyone that needs a reliable dualbander anywhere (especially for field ops).

KR6AUL Rating: 4/5 Jan 18, 2007 23:41 Send this review to a friend
Good Antenna, parts are bad  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought the antenna to try and get better reception. Mounting it was a problem. The parts did not fit into place and the tighning washer did not tighten. I had to use a hacksaw to cut one of the sections in half between the pipe. After that, the antenna worked fine