Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Cushcraft AR-270 Dual Band Ringo 2m/70cm Help

Reviews Summary for Cushcraft AR-270 Dual Band Ringo 2m/70cm
Cushcraft AR-270 Dual Band Ringo 2m/70cm Reviews: 25 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $89.99
Description: VHF/UHF Base antenna
More info: http://www.cushcraft.com/

You can write your own review of the Cushcraft AR-270 Dual Band Ringo 2m/70cm.

KB2FBI Rating: 4/5 Sep 22, 2006 19:09 Send this review to a friend
Long Term Survivor  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had my Ringo Ranger up for a long time and it is low maintenance. It hears well and does not get 'in the way" of enjoying the radio.

The gig I'll give is the initial set up was a little beyond super simple. No biggie, just a place to improve.

A plus is the way it hears on 70 cm. It also is a subtle and attractive antenna. I mount mine on the Radio Shack mustard colored TV antenna masts. I use the RS stainless steel straps around the chimney.

KE7EJF Rating: 5/5 Sep 22, 2006 14:52 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I replaced my ARX-2 with an AR-270 because I went dual band and what a difference. I work alot of simplex and can hear and talk to mobiles 40 miles away with my antenna only about 25 feet in the air.
I hardley ever use my 2m beam anymore.

NE5B Rating: 5/5 Nov 21, 2005 20:26 Send this review to a friend
Great Anteanna for 10 years  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my AR270 in 1994, it went together like a charm, and worked flawlessly at 4 different QTHs. That was until a few days ago when I noticed I wasn't getting into 440 Repeaters 35 miles away like I had the week before. Also on Packet more retries were necessary than in previous weeks. Using my MFJ259 I found that SWRs on 2m band where high - however were 1:1 up above 152mhz. Took antenna down and found that plastic cap on top was cracked and water was in verticle element. Emptied water checked SWR still high, adjusted antenna to compensate, but SWRs still over 3:1 on 2m. Drain hole appears to of been plugged by a spider or other web wielding insect.

Looking for solution to problem, hopefully something I can replace at fraction of the cost of a new antenna.

Even if antenna is history I still rate it as a good performer, working with no problem for over 10 years.

Regarding earlier review comparing it to a dummy load - I've found that close proximity to other antennas and trees (especially in Spring) can result in SWRs still looking good by all RF being absorbed by other antenna or tree....

Note picture here on Eham is that of the AR270B
Here's the manuals
AR270

AR270B

73 Ben - ne5B

KILOWATT Rating: 5/5 Oct 10, 2005 17:05 Send this review to a friend
Secret to Longevity  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had mine up and running in a salt environment(Pacific Ocean) for the past 6 years with no problems whatsoever. The secret? After it was assembled and fine tuned, I then sanded it down very well and then shot it with about 10 coats of clear lacquer. It's as shiny as the day I purchased it and probably will be for years to come.

KA5ROW Rating: 4/5 Jul 12, 2005 20:22 Send this review to a friend
Ok Antennas but could be better  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
First of it was very easy to assemble. The instruction manual was easy to follow and I was able to get through assembly process quickly But as with all Cushcraft antennas they need to be built with heavier duty aluminum. I know I have 4 antennas a 32-19-B 2 meter boomer a 5 el 6 meter beam, ARX2B, and this one. All are lacking in heavier construction. I would compare Cushcraft antennas to a construction site you used 2x4s when you should have used 2x6s The building looks the same until the storm comes. electrically they all perform well. I will give a extra point in my rating just because Cushcraft doesn't claim they are heavy duty.

K2TF Rating: 4/5 Jun 1, 2005 03:45 Send this review to a friend
Not bad  Time owned: more than 12 months
This antenna went together without any problems. I have it in the attic where it works suprisingly "good". There are better antennas out there, but at a much higher cost. For the money I'm very satisfied.

N6AJR Rating: 5/5 May 31, 2005 23:35 Send this review to a friend
pretty darn good  Time owned: more than 12 months
Mine has been up for about 5 years, survived up to 100 mph winds, and still works like a top. put to gether as per instructions, and works good on 2m and 440,,

I also have several 2m and 440 beams, ( biggest is 17 ele 2m and 27 ele 440 , plus a couple of rh and lh circular polerized antennas and such,) but for a ground plane antenna this is fine.

it ain't a beam , it a vert. works good for a vert, good match, lasts long time.. a 5 in my book

KJ4XX Rating: 0/5 May 31, 2005 20:08 Send this review to a friend
Terrible in Test  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought two...had terrible luck and thought it was my location since Ringo Ranger II had always worked well on two meters. Had other ham put this antenna same height next to workman duel bander...man.....how sad....almost a dummy load!!One of the 270's was even made wrong....do NOT buy this antenna

W8RJB Rating: 5/5 Jan 29, 2005 21:01 Send this review to a friend
AR 270B  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I found this antenna to be an oustanding antenna.

First of it was very very easy to assemble. The instruction manual was easy to follow and was able to get through assesmbly in less that 30 min.

It transmits and recieves great. I can get out, as far as I know, 60 miles south at 50 watts. I have it on a chimeny mount about 50 feet off of the ground.

Works great on both 2m and 440...

I would really reccomend this antenna to anyone that wants a nice, easy to assemble antenna, that has good gain and TX and RX's well.

K6NTL-3 Rating: 5/5 Apr 20, 2004 00:41 Send this review to a friend
Bang for the buck  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Shame everything costs so much these days, but considering we are fish in a barrel, it could be worse.

I am reviewing the AR270B, as it has nowhere else to go.

I have had no problem with this unit. Assembly is easy with one exception being getting the top section down into the center section far enough without a little effort.

I would like to see them pony up and use some extended U clamps rather than the hose clamps to attach it to the mast. However the latter works fine. At 30 ft up, who needs pretty anyhow, hi hi.

Performance wise, set it and forget it. The bandwidth is wide and if you set the antenna up per measurements, no worries.

The AR270 sounds good too, I've seen them and they would be great for portable or attic use. I just recommend the B to those with the room to put up more antenna. I use 9913/f but loss is loss and teh extra gain helps negate it. You all knew that though.. hi hi

Thumbs up again. This is my fourth cushcraft, and not my last.

73, Kevin