Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - 6M/VHF/UHF+ | TE Systems 4412RA UHF Amplifier Help

Reviews Summary for TE Systems 4412RA UHF Amplifier
Reviews: 2 Average rating: 2.5/5 MSRP: $$598.00
Description: Continuous duty, fan cooled, rack mount, RF Amplifier

You can write your own review of the TE Systems 4412RA UHF Amplifier.

KB9KHM Rating: 0/5 Sep 5, 2008 11:08 Send this review to a friend
Buyer Beware!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased a TE Systems 4412RAS (rackmount, fan cooled, 440mhz, 100watt out, linear for DSTAR) amplifer on 6/24/08. The amplifer was supposed to be set up for 15 watts input and 100 watts output. I put the amp in service 6/27/08 at my DSTAR repeater site. When I installed the amplifier, I observed that it only took 5 watts (not 15) to drive the amp to 100 watts. I set the input drive so that the amplifier was running at ~85 watts output.

On 7/27/08, the amplifier failed. The amp would only put out 1 watt of power for any input power from 2 to 15 watts. I called Dave at TE Systems was quoted a repair turn-around time of 7-10 days. Also, while on the phone with him he told me that I may have damaged the amplifier by running TOO LITTLE INPUT POWER. I can't begin to understand how damage could occur to a LINEAR amplifier by running to little input power. The amp was shipped to TE Systems on 7/29/08 and received at their facility on 8/4/08.

By 8/12/08 I had not heard back from Dave at TE Systems, so I gave him a call. He said that they hadn't yet gotten to the amplifier, but that it would be done and out the door by 8/15.

Today (9/5/08) I again called Dave at TE Systems since I'd not yet received my amplifier. Once again he told me that they had not yet worked on my amplifier and that he would have someone look at it by early next week. I let him know that I was unhappy with their turn around time since he had twice quoted me repair times that he had not been able to meet. He asked me what he wanted me to do? I said "put it on the bench now, fix it, and send it out on Monday". He said he couldn't do that. I asked if my warranty period would be extended since he'd wasted a month of it by just letting the broken amp sit on his shelf? Dave said he couldn't do that either. I told him that his customer service was poor since he had 2 opportunities to set my expectations as to the repair time, and both times failed to meet those expectations. I also told him I would be sure to share my experience as his customer with others on the internet, at which point Dave actually said to me on the phone:

"You're a real jerk"

He then offered to just send the amp back to me and I could deal with repairing it myself. I said, no, I expect you to honor the terms of the warranty that you provide with the purchase of the amplifier. He then advised me that my repair might not be covered under the warranty. So right now I'm sitting here STILL waiting to hear back from Dave at TE Systems.

I'll post an update next week.

KB9KHM

N2CSA Rating: 5/5 Jun 12, 2007 10:29 Send this review to a friend
Built like a tank!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
When I shopped for an amplifier for my 440 repeater I looked at Henry, Mirage and TE Systems. For no special reason I called TE. I found Dave very helpful. I initially intended to order the 4412R convection cooled amplifier but he convinced me to spend the extra for the dual fan cooled 4412RA. I was impressed by its heavy construction. It is built like a tank. The fans move air through the enclosure and over the heat sink very efficiently. With the exciter set at 25 watts the 4412RA puts 120 watts into the duplexer. I've had the 4412RA in service for the past 11 months without a problem and recommend it without reservation.