Reviews Categories | Microphones | Heil PR 781 Microphone Help

Reviews Summary for Heil PR 781 Microphone
Heil PR 781 Microphone Reviews: 91 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $179.00
Description: Dynamic microphone designed for the IC 7800,successor of the PR780
More info: http://www.heilsound.com/amateur/

You can write your own review of the Heil PR 781 Microphone.

WA4FOM Rating: 2/5 May 6, 2014 16:37 Send this review to a friend
Underwhelmed  Time owned: more than 12 months
My experience with microphones is pretty much
like one man's meat is another's poison.
Translation: Just because you spend a barrel
of money on a particular mic doesn't necessarily
mean it's going to make you sound like Walter
Kronkite. That said, You just have to find
one that you like and you like how it makes
you sound.

The PR781 is pretty. It's large and honking.
It also has muddy bass and not much clearer
midrange. It also has in common with the
other Heil mics low output and crippled highs,
but most modern radios can compensate for the
least two, so I won't ding the PR781 for that.

Don't waste your money on this one. Instead,
try to locate a Goldline 5 on eBay. That's a
decent sounding mic, especially if you can get
it used at a discount. Even the El Cheapo
Behringer XM8500 sounds better and clocks in
at a petty $20.00.

AE7G Rating: 5/5 May 6, 2014 11:09 Send this review to a friend
Excellent equipment  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got the PR 781 to replace a 10 year old MD2 (Heil via Elecraft) that had gotten damaged from extensive Field Day use.

I work mostly with a boom and foot pedal. This mic was obviously designed for this use, it clamps in well, adjusts easily and holds its position. Professional studio quality.

Working on the K3 the mic setting needs to be configured high with bias off and it needs more gain than the previous mic, but it delivers strong audio once configured properly. It is front loaded, which again is ideal for a boom mic. You talk into it, not across.

I started by setting the K3's Tx EQ flat and, using the monitor feature, I was pretty quickly able to get a strong, clear, natural sounding and yet penetrating voice adjusting only compression and gain. It needs only about 10 to 15% compression. This is obviously a quality piece of audio equipment.

I tried it out and got great signal reports despite initially difficult conditions. I proved I could penetrate a pileup at a distance with only one or two calls.

With just about half an hour of fiddling I seem to be ready to go. I may use the K3's EQ to tune the unit to my voice but it does not need much.

There may be cheaper units out there that perform well, but the prices on this unit are now under $140 for the mic and clamp.

I am happy with the purchase.

KD6HUC Rating: 5/5 Apr 28, 2014 09:18 Send this review to a friend
Works for me  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is the 4'th Heil Microphone I have owned and I've been happy with all of them. Mine is actually the PR 781G which is same mic.,but with the added bling of gold windscreen. I have mine connected to an IC-7100 and have gotten numerous positive responses to my audio. I've owned this unit for a little over a month now and have yet to find any issues. Mine is attached to the HB-1 boom,but I think it would look equally impressive on the desktop base Heil sells.

SV2BWM Rating: 5/5 Mar 26, 2014 03:47 Send this review to a friend
Superb audio!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
A superb dynamic mic designed by Heil K9EID for the ESSB lovers of amateur radio! Thanks Bob...73's de SV2BWM

NT9E Rating: 5/5 Jan 10, 2014 21:41 Send this review to a friend
Superb Audio!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This past fall I found a new Behringer Euro Rack UB802 mixer for $30 in a pawn shop. I ordered a Heil PR-781 mic, 2 foot switches, and made some mic cables to go between the mixer and each of my radios(IC-9100 and an IC-2720). I used the Monitor function on the IC-9100 to listen to myself with headphones while I adjusted the EQ. Went on the air and the compliments on my audio poured in. This mic is a winner when paired with a mixer with EQ and a mic pre-amp. Highly recommended! 10 thumbs up!

KG4EYG Rating: 5/5 Jan 2, 2014 20:45 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This mic was designed for any 600 ohm mic radio requirements, but it was made for the Yaesu family, in my opinion. You can get this mic for between $120-$140, and it will out perform the PR-30/40s. Since I started using this mic with my Yaesu FT-1000MP Mark V and FT-920, I have had nothing but unsolicited compliments every time I transmit. Thanks to Bob Heil and the good folks at Heil Sound for recommending this microphone to me!

KE4QZW Rating: 5/5 Apr 23, 2013 17:36 Send this review to a friend
SUPER  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've had this mic for several weeks and I am very happy with it. Works as advertised and thanks to WA6DKN for helping me get the audio right.

N9GUU Rating: 5/5 Apr 11, 2013 06:25 Send this review to a friend
Great Microphone  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased my PR-781 at Dayton last year from DX Engineering. DX Wnated $179 but I wanted to match $129 from the DXstore.com. With some "pursuading", DX finally agreeded to match the price. Anyway...I use my PR-781 on a boom with an ICOM IC-7410. At first I was told that the audio was weak, didn't work well on VOX and was initally disapointed. However after setting the radio to the settings suggested on the Heil website, it now works perfect and I get great audio reports. Others have said that they have rust problems with the front screen. After a year of use, I dont notice that. Bottom line...I would give it a solid 5 especially if you can get it for $129.

N0IU Rating: 5/5 Apr 1, 2013 08:55 Send this review to a friend
Nice gift from Heil  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I don't think much more can be said about this microphone that hasn't already been said. I received mine just in time for the 2013 CQ WPX contest and I was very pleasantly surprised when it arrived in a heavily padded aluminum "road case". It was a special promotion and if you hurry, maybe you can get one too!

AD4GB Rating: 5/5 Jan 28, 2013 08:17 Send this review to a friend
Love it!  Time owned: more than 12 months
My wife got me a PR-781 for my birthday a few years ago and I love it! I always get great sig. reports and audio reports. I already had a PR-40 and so I compared the two and nobody could tell the difference so I sold the PR-40 and kept the PR-781!