Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | MFJ-901B Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-901B
MFJ-901B Reviews: 51 Average rating: 4.2/5 MSRP: $79.95
Description: MFJ'S smallest 200W tuner
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/products.php?prodid=MFJ-901B

You can write your own review of the MFJ-901B.

KD7RDZI2 Rating: 5/5 Nov 13, 2016 14:44 Send this review to a friend
This is not mighty fine junk  Time owned: more than 12 months
Indeed it works just great. Let me say you can tune antennas fed by coax or balanced line and longwires. The balanced line antenna input does include a 4:1 balun. Someone says it is pricey but I think there is some handwork to make them, the price is similar to a balun and you have a portable antenna with a piece of wire. My unit was carefully made and I guess might last quite long, maybe beyond a century... It does handle 200w and that is true. Before TX I use an antenna analyzer to get SWR close to 1 without transmitting a single watt. Even if it would not be necessary, keying down I adjust and refine the tuning already made before with the analyzer.

26JLH Rating: 3/5 Jun 30, 2016 13:27 Send this review to a friend
looks like shizun but works  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
looks like a fish scratch on top no manual.
not every one has a phone let alone the net
cost a few pence to put one in the box.
12 volt lead in box not needed.
works ok 1/2 inch of solder bouncing around inside
but it works fine but 100.00 pounds plus in the UK.
is not pennies but it will do.

tnx MFJ it works so i will say its ok ..

N2UJN Rating: 5/5 Jun 4, 2015 03:16 Send this review to a friend
Excellent, well made (in 1992), small, tuner  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased the MFJ-901B new from MFJ via the MFJ catalog in 1992. At that time, I paid $39.95. Today it apparently is selling for between $89 and $99. I used this small tuner in my early antenna building of dipoles. I have also used this tuner to tune an Antron 99 for 2m use. In addition, I often use this tuner between my radio and an amp for 10m to match 50ohm impedance. It still looks new. I have the old face style with the polished aluminum outer area. Looks much nicer than the costed down front face of today. Also, in 1992 the entire front face was polished and painted. Looks like, from pics, that is not polished on the face of the case today. So, I am kind of glad I bought it a long time ago. It works perfect. I have never exceeded 100W of use. However, I have tuned out SWR of 14:1 and greater. Even without attaching it to an RF ground.

EI6DP Rating: 4/5 Apr 13, 2015 02:34 Send this review to a friend
Simple and Easy  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Having read so much about MFJ (Manufacturers of Fine Junk) I was somewhat reluctant to buy any of their products. However, I took a chance and purchased a pre-owned MFJ 901B.

:-) I found this little ATU very good for what it is, ie, its quality and design. It has its down side but for the price (even new) it is a bargain. Mind you, I doubt its capabilities at 200W. I am using it with my FT817 without any problem. The first change I will make is to replace the plastic rotary switch with a good quality ceramic one.

With my HF Portable antenna and 5w it was quite easy to tune up and to find that resonant spot. So, a simple log should make band changing and retuning relatively easy.

MFJ 901B ok for the price - don't expect miracles.

73's EI6DP

N2DM Rating: 5/5 Jan 22, 2015 13:52 Send this review to a friend
Good, Handy  Time owned: more than 12 months
Purchased mine at Dayton Hamvention over 10 yrs ago. Tune my trap dipole with it, running nominal 100 watts, in and out of Amateur bands(MARS usage).
No arcing or sparking noticed. My advice, do not rotate inductance switch while transmitting! Will fry contacts.
Would buy another unit. 73, Dale.

KD7RDZI2 Rating: 5/5 Dec 2, 2014 15:58 Send this review to a friend
Simplest and effective  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Probably built to last decades. No quality issue found. It tunes virtually any antenna (mobile antennas too), fed by coax, random wires and balanced lines too. It lacks an SWR meter. No issue at all if you already have one. If you have an antenna analyzer use it to tune perfectly the MFJ-901B before transmitting a single watt.

AA7BI Rating: 5/5 Jun 6, 2012 22:58 Send this review to a friend
A Keeper  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this tuner in 1988. Nice and compact. It's great when you have an SWR meter built into your radio or use a cheap, 50 cent, yard-sale CB SWR meter like mine. It has spent many years stored in a box out in the shed, but I retrieve it whenever I want to load something difficult or absurd, like a gutter or rusty bedsprings. It will load anything you throw at it. It may not constitute a viable antenna, but it'll match it and load it! Just for fun I once loaded two Volkswagens parked side by side with the 901B and enjoyed a nice 80 mile QSO on 75m.

I have used it with ladder-line (via the 4:1 balun), slinkies, beams, dipoles and end-fed. One time I temporarily loaded the steel roof of my new home on one side and the steel roof of the shed on the other until I could erect a dipole. I've used better antennas in my day, but it worked! Nowadays I use it to load random antennas when RVing and on field-day. I throw out a resonant quarter wave wire from the RV, pitch it up into a tree, tune it and get my QSOs.

No mechanical or electrical issues. I've stored it outdoors many winters at -40 and it has always worked perfectly for me. I may have experienced a tiny bit of arcing once at 120 watts AM on 160m with a difficult load. This certainly must have exceeded the tuner's specification of 200 watts PEP. Despite all the years of use and being a budget brand, this tuner has proven itself to be a worthy and lasting asset to my shack and does the job admirably.

Thanks to the e-ham team for a great site!

73 de Bob, AA7BI/VE5

MW0LDJ Rating: 5/5 May 1, 2011 00:20 Send this review to a friend
MFJ-901B  Time owned: more than 12 months
Ive used this great little tuner for years after buying it from a box of 'Other' at a ham fayre in 2004. It will tune just about any antenna you care to throw at it where some of the much more expensive auto-tuners will give up and shut down, it even tunes down the zinc fencing that runs around our property. The only thing missing 'out of the box' is a bypass but its a 15 minute job to fit one from bits out of your scraps box.

WA6MOW Rating: 5/5 Feb 9, 2011 07:45 Send this review to a friend
great deal  Time owned: more than 12 months
Use it when my auto tuners can't cut it. I would never be without one. MFJ has provided me with great products for many years.j

WB0FDJ Rating: 5/5 Aug 24, 2010 17:13 Send this review to a friend
Simple and reliable  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had mine for many years. It's beat all to heck, scratched, dented and at times ignored in a boxful of other "stuff". But it darn near matches anything, providing you know how to use it correctly. I still use it, today, with my new Jupiter. I also have a nice autotuner that I'm not using as much. It occasionally barfs and gives me some funny setting. With my 'ole reliable 901 I wrote down the settings for each band that I need them and it takes only a few seconds to QSY. It's bare bones and at times I wish for such extras as bypass, etc, but for the what I spent on it I've definitely got my moneys worth. Nice size too....