Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | MFJ-901B Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-901B
MFJ-901B Reviews: 45 Average rating: 4.2/5 MSRP: $79.95
Description: MFJ'S smallest 200W tuner
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/products.php?prodid=MFJ-901B

You can write your own review of the MFJ-901B.

G7IGB Rating: 5/5 Jun 4, 2009 05:58 Send this review to a friend
Great portable ATU  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I got my MFJ-901B from a local radio rally last year and I've used it just about everywhere since. This compact HF ATU easily matches all my antennas, which include a G5RV, inverted L, OCF dipole and 66' long wire. I also find that the 901B will also match most of my antennas on 50 MHz, which is a real bonus as the ATU is not intended to cover the 6m band.

The impedance matching range is far greater than these modern 'auto tuner' units and its small size make it ideal for portable use. Overall I'm very happy with the MFJ-901B and I know of two other local amateurs who use this ATU as their main tuner, with no problems at 100W RF input power and various coaxial fed or long wire antennas.

M3XPR Rating: 5/5 May 9, 2008 00:56 Send this review to a friend
So good I bought another one.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been so pleased with my 901B that since my last revive I bought another one to use with my Yaesu FT817.
This one cost a little more than the last one at £70 but still very good value.
Cheers and 73

JDWYER Rating: 1/5 Apr 6, 2008 13:01 Send this review to a friend
Not so fine Junk  Time owned: more than 12 months
Some incarnations of this tuner have the SO239s mounted to the chassis using rivets instead of screws. You get varying SWRs and the only solution is to weld the connectors to the chassis or use metal shims to improve the connections.

Don't waste your money!

SM5PHU Rating: 0/5 Dec 14, 2007 01:22 Send this review to a friend
You're better off with a dummy load  Time owned: more than 12 months
I prefer antennas that donít require a tuner, but occasionally Iíve found myself in situations where Iíve needed to put up a makeshift antenna. So some ten years ago I bought a 901B to go with my IC-706.

Most of the time my 901B has been sitting unused on a shelf in the shack, but off and on I would take it out for a field day or similar activity.

Every attempt to use the 901B has however ended in disappointment. The tuner would reduce SWR to a near 1:1 on most bands, but regardless of what antenna I tried, I would never reach beyond my own back yard.

Not even an easy-to-tune antenna like the G5RV would work with this tuner.

I finally got myself a radio with a built-in tuner, and gee wiz Ė all of a sudden the G5RV turned into a real DX antenna, at least in comparison with the mediocre performance it showed with the 901B.

In my opinion, youíre better off with a dummy load, since it will work without tweaking any knobs.

I sold the 901B. A few weeks later, I saw the very same unit on sale on e-bay. At least it made the guy I sold it to happy: He got three times as much for it as I didÖ

Itís possible that something was wrong with my unit. Itís also possible that it worked just as (poorly) as intended.

Regardless of which, I give a solid Z-E-R-O.

M3BAV Rating: 5/5 Nov 22, 2007 15:14 Send this review to a friend
5 OUT OF 5  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was sceptical about purchasing a MFJ tuner after reading the reviews on this site. I would have preferred a Palstar tuner, but could not justify spending so much. I decided to go minimalist and purchase a 901B. The unit matches my 45 metre doublet with ease on all bands from 80-10. I feel my choice is wise as not much can go wrong with a simple mechanical device.

M3XPR Rating: 5/5 Oct 22, 2007 09:17 Send this review to a friend
Super value  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I picked up one of these new for about £60 to use with my Yaesu FT757
I have been very impressed by its performance and have not had any problems with build.
However there was a large scratch in the paintwork on arrival but I was not worried about that.
I have used it with a 26 meter long wire and a 1/2 sixe G5RV and in both cases it have given good results on 40 -10 metre bands the long wire giving an SWR of about 1.5:1 on 80 metres.

I am very impressed with the performance of such a cheap tuner

WB9GMV Rating: 4/5 Aug 15, 2007 09:20 Send this review to a friend
Decent small tuner  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this unit for almost 10 years now. Has worked very well. I also had the problem with a capacitor plate rubbing when I first received it and fixed that quickly and have had no problems since then. Have used it to tune wires and dipoles.

N7KIX Rating: 5/5 Jun 26, 2007 18:33 Send this review to a friend
EXCELLENT tuner!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought MY tuner back in 99' here it is summer of 07! its jut GREAT! its pocket sized, matches anyhting to my Icom 718, and works greatt for what I need. I have worked a LOT of DX countries at Rock Park, Castle Rock, CO (see me @ QRZ.com) on THIS tuner, with a 40 ft long wire with 5-9 plus sig. reports! MY ADVICE? BUY ONE if you find it cheap, why? if you EVER! have to use a wire or ANY antenna to get ON the air in a emergency, its WORTH IT! 21 years on the air, and i LOVE this lil tuner. last year i DID have to straighten the shorting cap plates, took what?, 5 min? bigg deeaal word of ADVICE? keep the cap plates IN the tuner? CLEAN! with notebook paper folded 2 or 3? timess.. THIS! lil tuner lets me to from forest, to desert, matches ANYTHING, for GREAT sig reports! GOOD JOB MFJ!

Torbey Eubanks, 21 years as N7KIX

N5EAT Rating: 4/5 Feb 4, 2007 18:33 Send this review to a friend
21 years  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned one of these tuners since 1986 or 7.
My unit has been used mobile, fixed, and portable. I remember only one time I could not get this thing to match my feedline/antenna to my transceiver. I've had the 901 apart several times to blow the dust out of it. In the early 90's, I bought one of MFJ's tuners which has the cross needle meter, etc. A nice looking unit, but it's performance was not very good. I still use my 901b periodically and it still works very well. One of my best ham investments.

AA8GK Rating: 4/5 Feb 4, 2007 17:00 Send this review to a friend
Ok, but open and check it first!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this about 4 years ago to use with my FT-817, and was hearing a 'ping' sound when tuning the caps. That 'ping' sound were the plates of the (cheaply made) variable caps shorting out!!! Sadly, I discovered this AFTER the finals in my '817 were already blown. An hour or so of work straigtening the plates and a VOM check showed no more shorts.

I LOVE MFJ's philosophy of providing low-cost ham accessories, but sometimes, low-cost really does mean low quality.

Other than that, the connectors on the back of the tuner are REALLY close together, especially if you use balanced line like me.

All in all, not a bad tuner for the cost. I've worked a TON of DX because of it, and I probably would buy another one.