Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | MFJ-901B Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-901B
MFJ-901B Reviews: 49 Average rating: 4.2/5 MSRP: $79.95
Description: MFJ'S smallest 200W tuner

You can write your own review of the MFJ-901B.

N8QXE Rating: 4/5 Jul 27, 2009 15:03 Send this review to a friend
Needs a Bypass  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned my 901B for over 14 years with no problems, I've used it in my shack and in the feild.
My 901B is currently my tuner for feild use with my FT-817, it's been scratched and dented a little, but still performs solid.
Only one drawback, no bypass switch.
K6SDW Rating: 4/5 Jun 11, 2009 07:22 Send this review to a friend
It works..  Time owned: more than 12 months
My backup tuner for when the Ten Tec dies (3 times thus far in 10 years!!) ....... it doesn't have the greatest range like the mega-$$$ tuners but it gets the job done when needed!

I definitely would be careful of home much power you run through it, less you like seeing smoke.

Cheers All
K4PDM Rating: 3/5 Jun 11, 2009 06:44 Send this review to a friend
Worth the money...  Time owned: more than 12 months
I used one of these mobile for a while. It is not very rugged and you 1. should make sure to tune at low power, and 2. make sure not to switch the inductor selector while transmitting. The balun is incredibly small, too. But it is worth the small price it sells for as long as you remember to baby it.
OLLIEOXEN27 Rating: 1/5 Jun 9, 2009 09:23 Send this review to a friend
Little tuner from hell  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I owned one of these for awhile. The connectors on the rear were so close together it was a pain changing from coax to balanced line. Then there was that extra jumper between balanced line and single line connectors - jeesh. Never could make many contacts. When I bumped the tuner or picked it up the SWR would change on my meter. Enough said.
G7IGB Rating: 5/5 Jun 4, 2009 05:58 Send this review to a friend
Great portable ATU  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I got my MFJ-901B from a local radio rally last year and I've used it just about everywhere since. This compact HF ATU easily matches all my antennas, which include a G5RV, inverted L, OCF dipole and 66' long wire. I also find that the 901B will also match most of my antennas on 50 MHz, which is a real bonus as the ATU is not intended to cover the 6m band.

The impedance matching range is far greater than these modern 'auto tuner' units and its small size make it ideal for portable use. Overall I'm very happy with the MFJ-901B and I know of two other local amateurs who use this ATU as their main tuner, with no problems at 100W RF input power and various coaxial fed or long wire antennas.
M3XPR Rating: 5/5 May 9, 2008 00:56 Send this review to a friend
So good I bought another one.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been so pleased with my 901B that since my last revive I bought another one to use with my Yaesu FT817.
This one cost a little more than the last one at £70 but still very good value.
Cheers and 73
JDWYER Rating: 1/5 Apr 6, 2008 13:01 Send this review to a friend
Not so fine Junk  Time owned: more than 12 months
Some incarnations of this tuner have the SO239s mounted to the chassis using rivets instead of screws. You get varying SWRs and the only solution is to weld the connectors to the chassis or use metal shims to improve the connections.

Don't waste your money!
SM5PHU Rating: 0/5 Dec 14, 2007 01:22 Send this review to a friend
You're better off with a dummy load  Time owned: more than 12 months
I prefer antennas that donít require a tuner, but occasionally Iíve found myself in situations where Iíve needed to put up a makeshift antenna. So some ten years ago I bought a 901B to go with my IC-706.

Most of the time my 901B has been sitting unused on a shelf in the shack, but off and on I would take it out for a field day or similar activity.

Every attempt to use the 901B has however ended in disappointment. The tuner would reduce SWR to a near 1:1 on most bands, but regardless of what antenna I tried, I would never reach beyond my own back yard.

Not even an easy-to-tune antenna like the G5RV would work with this tuner.

I finally got myself a radio with a built-in tuner, and gee wiz Ė all of a sudden the G5RV turned into a real DX antenna, at least in comparison with the mediocre performance it showed with the 901B.

In my opinion, youíre better off with a dummy load, since it will work without tweaking any knobs.

I sold the 901B. A few weeks later, I saw the very same unit on sale on e-bay. At least it made the guy I sold it to happy: He got three times as much for it as I didÖ

Itís possible that something was wrong with my unit. Itís also possible that it worked just as (poorly) as intended.

Regardless of which, I give a solid Z-E-R-O.
M3BAV Rating: 5/5 Nov 22, 2007 15:14 Send this review to a friend
5 OUT OF 5  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was sceptical about purchasing a MFJ tuner after reading the reviews on this site. I would have preferred a Palstar tuner, but could not justify spending so much. I decided to go minimalist and purchase a 901B. The unit matches my 45 metre doublet with ease on all bands from 80-10. I feel my choice is wise as not much can go wrong with a simple mechanical device.
M3XPR Rating: 5/5 Oct 22, 2007 09:17 Send this review to a friend
Super value  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I picked up one of these new for about £60 to use with my Yaesu FT757
I have been very impressed by its performance and have not had any problems with build.
However there was a large scratch in the paintwork on arrival but I was not worried about that.
I have used it with a 26 meter long wire and a 1/2 sixe G5RV and in both cases it have given good results on 40 -10 metre bands the long wire giving an SWR of about 1.5:1 on 80 metres.

I am very impressed with the performance of such a cheap tuner