Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | MFJ-902H Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-902H
MFJ-902H Reviews: 4 Average rating: 3.5/5 MSRP: $119.95
Description: 80-10 Meters travel tuner; 150 Watts.
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/products.php?prodid=MFJ-902H

You can write your own review of the MFJ-902H.

W4KPA Rating: 5/5 Nov 11, 2009 08:56 Send this review to a friend
Works fine for me  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this for several years now, and I've had nothing but really good results -- no loose screws, no cold solder joints, etc. I've used it very successfully with a Yaesu FT-817 and a variety of antennas. I think the key point is to remember that this is a QRP tuner. It may be rated for 150 watts, but if you put that much power into it, the impedance you're trying to match had better not be too quirky, or else it will arc. The same thing may happen with a 300 watt tuner. For most tuners the manufacturer's ratings are more than a little optimistic. MFJ is no worse about that than anybody else. This is a QRP tuner -- and a reasonably good one.

PD1JMB Rating: 4/5 Jun 22, 2009 07:40 Send this review to a friend
Works as described  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this tuner to use with and end fed wire (1/4 wave 40M, 1/2 20M, 1 wave 10M). I was able to tune all bands properly with no problems at all, except for some RF current on the tuner housing when using the wire as quarter wave for 40M, probably because of insufficient counterpoise.

I checked this tuner internally because of previous reviews on the Internet. I found no problems. No faulty capacitors, all solder joints were OK.

Overall, an easy to use, well built tuner. I am happy with it, it does what it is expected to do.
I didn't test the built in 4:1 balun, but it seemed to be constructed properly. Solid wire, toroid properly fastened to housing.

KI5SO Rating: 4/5 Jan 13, 2009 14:41 Send this review to a friend
Does as described  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Anyone can get a lemon in anything. After reading the two previous reviews, I was kind of worried after ordering this tuner, but with a little patience, I found this tuner to work as described. If you are having problems with a manual tuner try going straight to the tuner and bypassing your switchbox, if you have a little short in your coax or jumper that can show up when trying to use the tuner when it might not show up otherwise. That's been my actual experience.

I can tune 80 through 10 on my loop that is just a little short in length for 75 meters. It is tricky and requires slow ajustments which means patience. Take your time and learn to use the tuner and make sure your cables and antenna system have no shorts. Tune up using the least amount of watts you can put into the tuner and then turn up your watts to no more than 100 watts.

If this breaks or quits working, I'll come back and let you all know. I'd probably buy a larger manual tuner or perhaps a more expensive automatic tuner. But right now, this little tuner is working just as described.

Mike Baggett, KI5SO

F5TIL Rating: 1/5 Jun 17, 2007 09:08 Send this review to a friend
Very bad quality.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this tuner and I was not able to use it for two reasons!!! Why ??
-Impossible to screw none of my PL259 on the SO239 of the MFJ902,I have to replace the SO239 of origin by a new.Now that works !!!
Second problem:False contact in the button Bypass / Tune, I have to replace this button by a new ....now that works !!!!
I can now use this tuner.
MFJ sells very expensively poor quality devices.

Stefan, F5TIL