Reviews Categories | Keys & Paddles | Vibroplex Know Code Key Help

Reviews Summary for Vibroplex Know Code Key
Vibroplex Know Code Key Reviews: 4 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $189.95
Description: This bright red key was initially unveiled at Dayton 2007
More info: http://www.vibroplex.com/know_code.html

You can write your own review of the Vibroplex Know Code Key.

KK4CV Rating: 2/5 Jan 15, 2011 19:38 Send this review to a friend
Fair  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just received my straight key. This key needs help, thin plastic knob. I e-mailed Vibroplex, and received a short answer from Scott Robbins.
O-well.

N0NV Rating: 5/5 Jun 18, 2008 12:49 Send this review to a friend
5/5 after Contact Modification  Time owned: 0 to 3 months

I am the proud owner of a new "Know Code" key from Vibroplex. I like the key's appearance and the sentiments of its title. I also like the type of knob -- navy style with a bent lever.

The only thing I didn't like is the feel of the contacts. It has a 'soft' feel due to the upper contact being mounted to a tab, instead of directly to the lever. The tab bends as contact is made, acting like a leaf spring. I suspect this is the same situation on all versions of the Vibroplex straight key.

The solution was simple. I placed a #4 flat washer between the contact tab and the lever, beside the existing screw and washer. It was necessary to remove the lever assembly to accomplish this. The new washer is held in place by the top protrusion of the upper contact. It fills the gap between the tab and the lever and prevents any spring action from occuring in the contact tab, providing a more typical feel to the key's action.

73, Jack - N0NV

N8MME Rating: 5/5 Sep 14, 2007 06:14 Send this review to a friend
Very nice key  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This is a very nice straight key based on the basic Vibroplex straight key with a bright red paint job. It is easily adjusted and is comfortable to use for long periods of time. It is heavy enough so that it stays put on the desk top. The navy style knob is a big plus. Highly recommended if you like straight keys or want a fancy new one for SKN.

W7LEX Rating: 5/5 Sep 6, 2007 15:42 Send this review to a friend
Nice novelty key  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Vibroplex made this straight key for hams like me. I got my first ticket, KG6GOT as a no-code tech, and eventually upgraded my license as a no-code extra. Armed with the Koch method and this straight key, I'm well on my way to being a "know-code" ham. HI

The key appears to be based on the standard Vibroplex straight key, albeit with a different paint job and name plate. It feels heavy and sturdy, and doesn't jump around on my desk. The mechanics of the key feel solid, and the spring tension and key travel seem reasonably adjustable. I didn't have any problems finding a setup that felt comfortable.