Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | MFJ-998 IntelliTuner Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-998 IntelliTuner
MFJ-998 IntelliTuner Reviews: 88 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $699.95
Description: The MFJ-998 Full Legal Limit 1500 Watt Intellituner takes you to the final level in automatic antenna tuners. With a capability of 1500 watts SSB and CW, coupled with automatic tuning, your high-power station can now operate essentially hands-free even when frequency and band changes are made.
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/products.php?prodid=MFJ-998

You can write your own review of the MFJ-998 IntelliTuner.

W5LRU Rating: 5/5 May 5, 2016 09:46 Send this review to a friend
Excellent auto-tuner  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I traded a LDG PROII 1000 for the MFJ 998 so I could have one for up to 1500W PEP. It has worked great right out of the box and I purchased directly at a HRO store in Plano, Texas a couple of months ago. I am well pleased with the unit and I believe it is as good if not better than the one I traded for it. The LDG1000 was just that up to 1000W PEP and I wanted the added safety of being able to push the 1000W without fear of damaging the unit as I would have with LDG product.

N8WGM Rating: 5/5 Feb 15, 2016 09:07 Send this review to a friend
Quick and nice  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I've owned this tuner now for a few months and it never ceases to amaze me.

It tunes very quickly and allows me to operate on sections of bands my antenna is not resonant on. 1500 watt capacity is nice.

It is somewhat noisy the first time but once it gets the settings in memory, it is just one little click and it is tuned. The first time, it may click for a few seconds to maybe a minute. After that, just a quick click and boom....you are tuned.
It has 20,000 memories so it will remember pretty much everything you need to operate anywhere in the ham bands with the right antenna.

I recommend this tuner. I've owned many manual tuners and this is my first auto tuner. You don't know what you are missing by using an auto tuner.....it is a real nice change from a manual tuner.

WB8NXR Rating: 5/5 Jan 17, 2016 16:30 Send this review to a friend
Looking great so far!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'm just getting back into HF after a hiatus of almost a quarter-century.

I have an IC-7600 barefoot and an Alpha Delta DX-CC 80-10 wire in the backyard. It's installed as a horizontal Vee between three trees about thirteen feet off the ground. And the trees are too close together to have the wire fully straight. :-(

While the built-in tuner on the IC-7600 worked well on 40, 20 and parts of 10, 15 was marginal and 80/75 was unusable. Unusable as in the foldover dropped the power to about 2 watts and the built-in tuner could not handle any portion of the band. Probably because the ends of the wire are lying against the tree trunks or something. :-)

After having experienced the Palstar auto-tuner at a friend's home, I knew I didn't want a manual tuner as I used last century. I decided on the MFJ-998 autotuner because it was about 40% of the cost of the Palstar. I also purchased the Icom interface cable.

The tuner was packed securely in the MFJ box and used styrofoam corners and inserts. Inside and out it looked great. While it does not come with a printed manual anymore, it did come with a short power cord, about two feet. The store I purchased it from packed it in another box and wrapped the MFJ box in bubble wrap.

Connection was easy. Just hook up the cables, power and plug the interface cable into the IC-7600 and the tuner. There is a menu on the tuner that you need to set for to the Alinco/Icom setting. The IC-7600 needed no configuration.

Power up the tuner first and then power up the radio and you're ready to go. Pressing the Tuner button on the IC-7600 kicks it into 10 watt mode and tunes the tuner. I took the advice of someone (who I don't recall) who said to just go on each band and do a tune every 5 KHz. That sets everything in the tuner memory for when you need it. That was really good advice.

I was concerned that the antenna and barefoot might be "sub-optimal" but after working the North American QSO party this weekend I know that's not true. 20/40/75/80 were good and I made several cross-country contacts on 75. The tuner even worked on 12 and 17 even though the antenna is not designed for them.

I'm still looking for a solid state full-power amplifier so I'll update this whenever I get one.

K1RI Rating: 2/5 Dec 17, 2015 07:40 Send this review to a friend
MFJ sez it all  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Purchased new Dec 2015. Worked good all bands except 75/80 into a resonant 75 meter dipole. Extreme RF at all power levels. When taken out of line and replaced with my 25 year old manual tuner, RF completely gone.

WM4RB Rating: 5/5 Nov 13, 2015 09:38 Send this review to a friend
Great Tuner!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned my tuner for a little over a year now. I use it to tune a 530 ft loop at 40 feet in the air. It will tune anywhere on all the HF bands and handles legal limit power. It also tunes within 2 to 3 seconds. I am very pleased with the performance of the MFJ-998 IntelliTuner!

WA8UEG Rating: 5/5 Nov 13, 2015 09:20 Send this review to a friend
Great auto tuner!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been using mine for around 4 years, first with a FT1000MP and now with my FT5000MP. It tunes my 2 element 20/15/10 on 17 & 12 in the blink of an eye and handles 1500 watts from my Swan MK II with no problem. I also used it to tune my 80/40 meter fan dipole to 60 meters prior to putting up individual dipoles. The optional rig interface cuts the exciter power to 50 watts, cuts the amp out and tunes before I can take my hand off the button and down to the VFO knob. The 998 is a really nice dependable tuner.

KB1GKN Rating: 2/5 Nov 12, 2015 20:17 Send this review to a friend
poor quality  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Initial assessment of "out of the box" quality - I purchased this tuner at HRO in Salem, NH. When I got home and unpacked it I found a strange breaking-up of the packaging foam inside the sealed and undamaged box. Further examination revealed a large and noticeable scratch on the front panel. I really wanted to bring this back to the store for an exchange, but they had no others in stock. Facing a weekend when I wanted to be on the air, I accepted the poor quality and bad initial experience so I could be on the air.
Had I bought this used, I could've accepted a scratch or two if the price were right. But paying full price for a brand new item, this damage is unacceptable.

KK8ZZ Rating: 5/5 Oct 18, 2015 06:09 Send this review to a friend
Great Tuner that Always Works!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this tuner for several years and it works first time, every time. Until it learns enough minimum SWR points, it's noisy while it finds the right algorithm, but after that, "braap!" and it's ready. The box is BIG, so make enough room for it. The other "best thing" about this and other MFJ tuners is that MFJ makes cables for nearly every radio, unlike the other high power auto tuner manufacturer, who makes Icom easy but no cables for Yaesu or Kenwood.

KJ4YZI Rating: 5/5 Oct 17, 2015 18:42 Send this review to a friend
ALmost instant tune on all bands  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I dont care what anyone says, MFJ has some great, and neat stuff. I made a video review on this tuner on my YouTube channel "HamRadioConcepts" and it took every bit of 1500 watts, with 20,000 memories, it remembers the value of where you used it and what it used to make the match, and the next time you hit that spot, its instant.. If you dont run high power, you should check out the MFJ-993b, i made a video of that as well. For mobile or smaller operation, the MFJ-939 is the same. All 3 have the memories, and the best fastest match. Definately recommended.

WB4GUD Rating: 5/5 Oct 13, 2015 13:40 Send this review to a friend
Great tuner so far  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned this tuner about four years. A few months ago, it started acting up-the meter light would dim and I'd get a "turn power off" display. Things would be OK for an hour or a day, then it would do the same thing. I worked with MFJ via email for several weeks. They sent me a new microprocessor chip and interface cable (for free), but that didn't fix it. I finally sent it back and they replaced the 7805 regulator and a 4001. All is well again.

I did find that tuning was quicker if I didn't hook up the interface cable to the FT-950 and just zapped the tuner with 25W AM. After it has been tuned to a particular frequency, it will go back to the settings within a half second.

It seems fashionable to badmouth MFJ, and they do have their QC issues from time to time, but this tuner has worked great and the service from MFJ was great too.