Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | MFJ-998 IntelliTuner Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-998 IntelliTuner
MFJ-998 IntelliTuner Reviews: 106 Average rating: 3.9/5 MSRP: $699.95
Description: The MFJ-998 Full Legal Limit 1500 Watt Intellituner takes you to the final level in automatic antenna tuners. With a capability of 1500 watts SSB and CW, coupled with automatic tuning, your high-power station can now operate essentially hands-free even when frequency and band changes are made.
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/products.php?prodid=MFJ-998

You can write your own review of the MFJ-998 IntelliTuner.

VE7IG Rating: 3/5 Nov 3, 2017 08:11 Send this review to a friend
Sent for repair  Time owned: more than 12 months
After working reasonably well for several months the unit stopped working and had to be returned to MFJ (at my expense) for warranty repair. They kept it a long time and through the warranty period. Finally, when I asked them about it in an email it was repaired and returned (shipping at my expense) and since then has worked perfectly, even better than before. Most of my antennas are non-resonant on various bands I use them on and this tuner does tune them all, 160 to 10m. It is not a piece of equipment that I use with confidence that it will last, however.

KI4MOA Rating: 1/5 Nov 2, 2017 10:32 Send this review to a friend
Not What Expected  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I ordered a new from HRO MFJ 998 auto tuner for an Icom IC 7300. I tried everything I knew to do, reset the default, ordered a new tuner cable for the ICOM 7300 to the MFJ 998... even tried it on an Icom 718 before returning. I was refunded by money for the Tuner, but I now have a power supply and tuner cable I don't need and am out $23 bucks to ship it back.... I will try get credit for the power supply and cable and get my shipping back. So I may update this review. Why don't they actually check these things out before they ship them?

WB5FAX Rating: 5/5 Jun 1, 2017 02:34 Send this review to a friend
WORKS FANTASTIC  Time owned: more than 12 months
Worked right out of the box. My Antenna is a wire Inverted L. Goes direct into the wire Connection.The antenna is roughly 70 feet plus or minus a couple feet.

Tunes up from 160-10 meters 1 to 1 SWR.

WHAT I DID TO HELP IT once I got a tuned FQ I Push in the TUNE button while in RTTY low power 5 watts on my 7300,and it beeps one time and does a final SWR setting. Then added all my TUNES into Memory over writes.

Mark

AA8HS Rating: 4/5 May 8, 2017 23:06 Send this review to a friend
limited on 160 meters  Time owned: more than 12 months
The tuner works find on all bands except 160. All of my antennas have appropriate lengths and low SWR including 160 meters. The 160 dipole was cut to 1850 Khz and the tuner would give a 1.5 SWR at 1905 Khz. However, the MFJ ALS-1300 amplifier shut down at 1905 because of high SWR at 400 watts PEP. I cut the antenna to 1870 KHz and I have had no problems with the tuner or amp at 1 kW. The tuner has shown similar problems with other 160 antennas that I have used and suggests that some work needs to be done. A peak reading display would really help. I rely on my antenna analyzer for SWR measurements since the tuner's SWR readout is usually a bit inaccurate.

N0SQ Rating: 4/5 Apr 21, 2017 19:35 Send this review to a friend
dummy load  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
One feature that would have been nice is to have a third coax output to route the RF to an external dummy load. This is a possible mod by installing another coax port and a switch to route the RF to that coax port - something to try after the warranty period.

N0SQ Rating: 4/5 Apr 21, 2017 11:42 Send this review to a friend
works good  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just got this thing yesterday. The only problems that I have with this tuner is that there is no avg/peak pushbutton for the cross needles like my manual tuners have and that my USB serial port cable won't plug into the MFJ serial port due to a mounting "ear" issue. Plus the JP1 strap wasn't installed even though the default is to have the strap installed (according to the manual). Another issue is that the manual says that the display is suppose to show the firmware version when pushing and holding the TUNE and then Power buttons but it turns out that I had to hold the buttons in until the "NO INTERFACE PIC" message disappeared. MFJ tech support said that "NO INTERFACE PIC" message isn't suppose to show up on this model but it isn't causing any problems, so far, so I'll live with it. A factory reset didn't clear that message. Anyway, I bought the Kenwood interface cable which made this a slicker arrangement. Too bad the tuner doesn't do 6 meters (which my TS2000 is capable of doing). Other than that it works great. I haven't tried it with an amplifier since I don't have one right now. I'll probably try some of the other features as time goes by.

K4TK Rating: 4/5 Apr 18, 2017 13:13 Send this review to a friend
2nd one works like a champ  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
my first 998 had issues....didn't always work...was hit or miss. I called MFJ....they sent another unit that arrived in two days from the call....boxed up the "old" (2-3 weeks old) unit.....and haven't looked back.

Now, i did have some issues getting my Yaesu FT DX 1200 radio to work with the interface cable....but eventually we got that all working (that's not that unusual actually, as I've experienced interface issues with several items with the FT DX 1200....probably due to it being relatively new or other devices i bought being relatively new...and there have been configuration issues to make the radio and other items "talk").

As they note in the owners manual, the meter does't work worth a darn on SSB. Works pretty good on CW. So my only complaints would be the poor function of the meter on SSB....and ....when the replacement unit came in, the cover on it was all scratched. Luckily, since they let me keep my original one until the replacement came in, i just swapped out covers with the clean one off my other unit....problem solved IN THIS CASE. it just goes back to the common complaints about poor QA or poor finish on their products.

As for it tuning QUICKLY......oh yea, it does. If i've been on about that frequency and antenna before, it's just an almost instantaneous "click" and it's there! If i haven't been on that freq/band/antenna combo (and the SWR is above the preset 1.5 threshold i programmed on the tuner)....you can hear those relays clicking and clacking....for several seconds...and then bingo! It really is QUICK.

I also love that you can preset a threshold for when you want it to tune (i use anything above 1.5). It's a real nice feature using it with my new Ameritron ALS-1306. It will also automatically shutdown the amp if for some reason one did exceed the preset threshold for the keying line. Another really nice safety feature.

N5KDA Rating: 4/5 Apr 7, 2017 18:26 Send this review to a friend
2nd try  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After sending the unit off I waited three weeks. I called and the guy looked up my ticket and said "oh, you just got this". I said yes, it was DOA and I don't know why you all don't just send another one. Two days later, today, it arrived. It's hooked up and seems to be working fine. I give another review after I run it a month or two. It will never get a 5 because of the 1st one being DOA and the POOR customer service.

N5KDA Rating: 0/5 Mar 17, 2017 09:26 Send this review to a friend
We don't call it Mississippi's Finest Junk for nothing  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
New out of box, non working. Was hung up on by tech support.

KD2CVY Rating: 4/5 Mar 6, 2017 18:13 Send this review to a friend
works great  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
mine works great, but remember that you have to have 1.5 amps power supply to run it,i used a 110 to 12v plug but its was only 220ma,i called mfj and we worked out my problem,my fault .but this is much better then tuning by hand every time i change frequencies.well worth the money.