Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | MFJ-998 IntelliTuner Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-998 IntelliTuner
MFJ-998 IntelliTuner Reviews: 66 Average rating: 3.9/5 MSRP: $699.95
Description: The MFJ-998 Full Legal Limit 1500 Watt Intellituner takes you to the final level in automatic antenna tuners. With a capability of 1500 watts SSB and CW, coupled with automatic tuning, your high-power station can now operate essentially hands-free even when frequency and band changes are made.
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/products.php?prodid=MFJ-998

You can write your own review of the MFJ-998 IntelliTuner.

K6ZB Rating: 5/5 Apr 1, 2014 05:36 Send this review to a friend
Top notch and very capable autotuner at full power  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had the 998 for about 5 years now and it has gotten heavy usage. At first, I located it outside at the base of end fed wires and verticals, protecting it in a plastic trunk. It worked very well as a remote tuner and I only used the metering and controls for setup and testing from time to time. Recently, I moved it indoors since I've placed a 4:1 UNUN at my 43 ft vertical. The unit works really well within the shack, including the connection to my IC 7600 for one button tuning. I like the metering facilities. It tunes better than the autotuner in my PW1. This is a fine product, but it is a piece of ham equipment requiring careful study of the manual and reasonable expectations about its performance. It does its job of tuning all bands well.

KK8ZZ Rating: 5/5 Jan 15, 2014 19:13 Send this review to a friend
Old Reliable !  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Upgraded to this MFJ-998 after having the LDG-600ProII give inconsistent results used with both a fan dipole and a 43 foot vertical. Sometimes the LDG matched, sometimes it wouldn't, mostly on 75 and especially 160. When I got this, I reset the tuner's memories when I powered it on for the first time, then ran it through the various bands and freqs that I usually used. Lots of chugging at first, as you'll have with ANY auto tuner when it's learning settings, then just a quick "burp" when returning to the same freqs a second time. Much to my delight, I've never had ANY problems on 160, and as you know, a 43 foot vertical doesn't present much of a match on 160 (or 75, for that matter). Bottom line, this has been a great auto tuner, has always been reliable and quick to tune, and the white backlit meter and green LED display look pretty nifty on the radio shelf. If you're new to auto tuners, remember that as good as LDG tuners can be, only MFJ has auto tuners that can work with any of the "big 3" manufacturers with only a change in cable. The other guys make you buy a different tuner for each radio, or simply won't work with Kenwood, unfortunately. Remember that ALL tuners work best if properly connected to a station common ground....YMMV... de KK8ZZ

KD8IGK Rating: 5/5 Jan 7, 2014 13:32 Send this review to a friend
Reliable Tuner  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this tuner for about 3 years. It has tuned all my antennas well. Most of my antennas are in the attic so I have a lot of compromises to deal with but this tuner still gives me a good match regardless of band.

This unit has made my operations a breeze, just push a button and voila!

I do run power occasionally and this unit can handle at least 1.2 KW. I do not have an Amp that runs 1.5 KW so I cannot attest to that experience. If you have an AMP the tune bypass is an awesome feature, when you tune it puts the AMP into bypass mode no tuning accidents with full power.

I find the meters to be pretty accurate and compares well against my analog meters.

I would buy one again with no hesitation.
Bill
KD8IGK

KE4ZHN Rating: 5/5 Aug 17, 2013 06:56 Send this review to a friend
Nice Tuner  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've had this tuner for about a year now. It has been totally trouble free on all bands from 80-10 on my 80 mtr. doublet. Tuning is very fast although a bit noisy. One minor gripe is the lack of peak reading capability on the meters. The watt meters both digital and cross needle are accurate right out of the box. Looking inside mine was very nicely made and there were no loose parts floating around or sloppy solder work. I also like the feature where it will shut off the keying line of your amp if your swr goes above safe limits.
This thing has me spoiled. After years of running a trusty SA2040 Heath which I also love....the fiddling with it each time I wanted to move around got old after years of doing it. I have this interfaced with my IC7000 so the button on the mic calls the tuner to do its thing. Very simple and works great. I don't even have to touch the tuner at all. I simply turn it on and off and do the rest with one button on the microphone. It even bypasses your amplifier without you needing to put it in standby when you tune.I have run near legal limit through it on all bands and it never smoked, arced or shut itself down. I run a short piece of coax to a 4:1 balun which feeds the doublet. So this tuner sees a wide variety of loads on all the bands and it never flinches. Its internal menu system is well laid out and very easy to navigate through. It just works. I think this is an excellent tuner for the money.

W5JLF Rating: 5/5 May 20, 2013 16:27 Send this review to a friend
Works great  Time owned: more than 12 months

I have had mine for over five years and have never had a problem. It tunes 160 to 10 with no problem. I have done two or three firmware updates with no issues at all. I would recommend it to anyone.

Joe

W3JKC Rating: 2/5 May 17, 2013 13:07 Send this review to a friend
Woouldn't take it to a dog fight  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
It needs a peak reading meter and it does not tuner correctly. I had it about two weeks and it started to have trouble tuning. Then it just stopped. The SWR detector went out with only 800 watts in. NEEDS HELP BUT could be a great tuner if they get the bugs out.

TF3ARI Rating: 5/5 Apr 22, 2013 12:00 Send this review to a friend
GOOD  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Hi
Got this tuner one week agou and He do all what manual explain he can do and more.
I have 43 Feet vertical from Ziro five + 4:1 UNUN
I hook the MFJ 998 with coax from UNUN to tuner, cable around 1 meter long and there it is 30 meter to VL 1000 1 kw Amplifier finaly to Flex 5000.
I get tune 1:1 down to 1.850 Mhz and yes he also tune 6 meter to 1:1 but manual say he stop at 30 Mhz, and I have test him on 80m, 60m, 40m,30m,20m,17m,15m,12,10 and 6.
I have kay in 1 kw CW carrier and no problem SWR stay down, tuning time is around 5 sec or less.
I did get problem in start, I left my Flex at 100W tune power and tuner was not happy to start tune on all band, I use now 30W as tune power and tuner start right away and works great, so he he 5 star unit for me.
only negative part is that tuner is not waterproof, well he is weather proof and you need to give him better box if you live in horizontal rain area+ salt. And like long travel as I am in ICeland I did check all connector and fasten all bolts before install him.
Ari

K6CTA Rating: 5/5 Apr 7, 2013 13:50 Send this review to a friend
1.5 Year Review  Time owned: more than 12 months
After using the MFJ-998 for over 1 1/2 years, I can still say that I am very pleased. I have had zero issues with it, and have used it on 80-10 with up to 1.5kw for extended periods of time in all modes. I know that MFJ can be a controversial subject (and one that gave me pause before my initial order), but it has been a very cost effective addition to the station. I still stand by my comments in my initial review - " Iíve used the tuner on CW, SSB and RTTY at full power with no issues. There are a lot of features to the 998, but it is easy to use. The convenience of having an auto-tuner is a huge improvement in operating. Iíve had no difficulty in the tuner finding a match. I must say that I have been pleasantly surprised. You do need to understand its limitations, and how it works. It may not be the fanciest looking piece of equipment I own, but it certainly does its job, and so far, does it quite well."

NO9E Rating: 4/5 Feb 24, 2013 18:29 Send this review to a friend
Initial problems but now very useful  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I use it with TT Centurion and 80m doublet fed by ladder line.

Initially it was locking up. Added capacitors following an earlier review. Still the display was acting. Stopped acting after grounding to the amp.
During an attempt to match a nonexisting antenna a diode in SWR detector burnt. After replacing everything is fine.

Matches all bands except part of 40. Match is better with home-made balun than with a professional balun. The meter is pretty accurate. It also shows the value of C and L.

The tuner is very useful for rapid QSY. While it would take me some 30s and fatigue with a manual tuner, MFJ 998 does it in seconds with no fatigue. I am surprised how it can work reliably since the voltages and currents can be pretty high at a KW level.

KL2D Rating: 0/5 Feb 24, 2013 08:38 Send this review to a friend
Tuner LCD was DOA  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I know MFJ has a reputation for poor quality control, but I wanted an auto-tuner and this looked like a good option for the price. I read lots of reviews and finally convinced myself that their QC was improving so I went ahead and ordered one. I have Ameritron and Mirage amps and have been very happy with them, so I thought maybe the parent company would be ok.

When the tuner arrived I made al the connections according to the manual. Tuner powered up and appeared to function, but the LCD screen which is necessary to control the tuner was dead - all black squares (all pixels triggered). Fortunately I got it from R&L so sending it back was super easy. I admit that I was disappointed, I really wanted this tuner to work!

I was going to call MFJ and try to resolve what is probably a loose component on the display board, but instead just decided to spend the extra bucks and get the Palstar HF-Auto. I don't really want a piece of equipment that does not work reliably. I've been very happy with all of my other Palstar equipment, it is top-notch.

73s