Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | MFJ-998 IntelliTuner Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-998 IntelliTuner
MFJ-998 IntelliTuner Reviews: 84 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $699.95
Description: The MFJ-998 Full Legal Limit 1500 Watt Intellituner takes you to the final level in automatic antenna tuners. With a capability of 1500 watts SSB and CW, coupled with automatic tuning, your high-power station can now operate essentially hands-free even when frequency and band changes are made.

You can write your own review of the MFJ-998 IntelliTuner.

WM4RB Rating: 5/5 Nov 13, 2015 09:38 Send this review to a friend
Great Tuner!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned my tuner for a little over a year now. I use it to tune a 530 ft loop at 40 feet in the air. It will tune anywhere on all the HF bands and handles legal limit power. It also tunes within 2 to 3 seconds. I am very pleased with the performance of the MFJ-998 IntelliTuner!
WA8UEG Rating: 5/5 Nov 13, 2015 09:20 Send this review to a friend
Great auto tuner!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been using mine for around 4 years, first with a FT1000MP and now with my FT5000MP. It tunes my 2 element 20/15/10 on 17 & 12 in the blink of an eye and handles 1500 watts from my Swan MK II with no problem. I also used it to tune my 80/40 meter fan dipole to 60 meters prior to putting up individual dipoles. The optional rig interface cuts the exciter power to 50 watts, cuts the amp out and tunes before I can take my hand off the button and down to the VFO knob. The 998 is a really nice dependable tuner.
KB1GKN Rating: 2/5 Nov 12, 2015 20:17 Send this review to a friend
poor quality  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Initial assessment of "out of the box" quality - I purchased this tuner at HRO in Salem, NH. When I got home and unpacked it I found a strange breaking-up of the packaging foam inside the sealed and undamaged box. Further examination revealed a large and noticeable scratch on the front panel. I really wanted to bring this back to the store for an exchange, but they had no others in stock. Facing a weekend when I wanted to be on the air, I accepted the poor quality and bad initial experience so I could be on the air.
Had I bought this used, I could've accepted a scratch or two if the price were right. But paying full price for a brand new item, this damage is unacceptable.
KK8ZZ Rating: 5/5 Oct 18, 2015 06:09 Send this review to a friend
Great Tuner that Always Works!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this tuner for several years and it works first time, every time. Until it learns enough minimum SWR points, it's noisy while it finds the right algorithm, but after that, "braap!" and it's ready. The box is BIG, so make enough room for it. The other "best thing" about this and other MFJ tuners is that MFJ makes cables for nearly every radio, unlike the other high power auto tuner manufacturer, who makes Icom easy but no cables for Yaesu or Kenwood.
KJ4YZI Rating: 5/5 Oct 17, 2015 18:42 Send this review to a friend
ALmost instant tune on all bands  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I dont care what anyone says, MFJ has some great, and neat stuff. I made a video review on this tuner on my YouTube channel "HamRadioConcepts" and it took every bit of 1500 watts, with 20,000 memories, it remembers the value of where you used it and what it used to make the match, and the next time you hit that spot, its instant.. If you dont run high power, you should check out the MFJ-993b, i made a video of that as well. For mobile or smaller operation, the MFJ-939 is the same. All 3 have the memories, and the best fastest match. Definately recommended.
WB4GUD Rating: 5/5 Oct 13, 2015 13:40 Send this review to a friend
Great tuner so far  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned this tuner about four years. A few months ago, it started acting up-the meter light would dim and I'd get a "turn power off" display. Things would be OK for an hour or a day, then it would do the same thing. I worked with MFJ via email for several weeks. They sent me a new microprocessor chip and interface cable (for free), but that didn't fix it. I finally sent it back and they replaced the 7805 regulator and a 4001. All is well again.

I did find that tuning was quicker if I didn't hook up the interface cable to the FT-950 and just zapped the tuner with 25W AM. After it has been tuned to a particular frequency, it will go back to the settings within a half second.

It seems fashionable to badmouth MFJ, and they do have their QC issues from time to time, but this tuner has worked great and the service from MFJ was great too.
AA8HS Rating: 4/5 Sep 12, 2015 07:31 Send this review to a friend
Inaccurate meter but tunes well.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have no complaints about this unit's ability to tune and protect my radio from high SWR's. There are two problems. First of all, when I have a perfect 1:1 match on an antenna at a given frequency, the MFJ may show a 1.5:1 match. The tuner will accurately lock on a new frequency but, while transmitting, show a frequency that is up to 100 KHz high or low from the original. The tuner continues to maintain the original SWR while transmitting, however. The digital meter is fine for CW and AM but worthless for SSB, showing a declining peak power. I thought that there was an issue with my radio and sent it for repair only to learn that this is a common misunderstanding with SSB. You need a professional quality digital meter for SSB. After one year, the autotuner has continued to tune properly and protect my radio and Ameritron amp.
K4LSX Rating: 5/5 Jul 15, 2015 05:17 Send this review to a friend
very nice!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been using the 998 for several years. When I used it the first time I heard arcing inside. The leads to the SO-239s on ANT 1 and ANT 2 had not been soldered, not even a bad solder joint! That was a quick fix and it has been great since.

MFJ has always had a QC issue and one must treat many of their products as if they were kits. After all, we no longer have Heathkits, Knight kits or WRL kits, so MFJ is filling a real void! Sorry for the folks that can't solder. I do find their products to be a good value after you get over the QC problems.
W6EES Rating: 5/5 Jul 14, 2015 14:47 Send this review to a friend
Best tuner I ever owned..  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought this tuner after reading several reports here. The price was right for my budget. However, I keep all receipts and boxes for several months until I could believe in it. First thing I did was inspect the insides for loose connections, poor soldering and loose hardware. Everything was perfect. I then connected it to my existing coax going to my old AH-4 tuner. It would not tune properly to my 33' vertical on my motor home. Read the manual several times till I noticed that the coax feed was too short. I installed 90' of coax to my 4:1 unun and now it tunes everything 1.5:1 It will tune much lower if you fine tune it. My big mistake was the coax feed length. This has cured all the problems I had with this installation. I love my tuner and trust it 100% I have an ICOM 706mkIIg and a Yaesu 2100f amp. Robert W6EES
VE7IG Rating: 4/5 Jul 10, 2015 09:40 Send this review to a friend
Works pretty well, not perfect.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got tired of waiting for the Alpha 4040 and bought one of these. Problems with wrist of right hand made rotating the inductor in a manual tuner increasingly more difficult.

This tuner works but often the SWR indicated on the readout varies significantly from the actual SWR as measured by digital and analog meters. This can cause problems because when it reads higher the tuner can hold the amplifier off and when lower it can be difficult or impossible to reduce the SWR further. Manually reducing and increasing L and C using the up/down buttons can help but this does not often produce a real 1:1.

The radio cable supplied was far too short. It needs to be at least a foot longer. I couldn't use it. Actually it isn't necessary as the tune button on the tuner itself does the job.

I've kept the Ameritron ATR-30 on the desk (using a large DPDT coax relay) for more demanding tuning but the MFJ auto tuner delivers close enough matching for most bands/antennas.

As I use most of the antennas I have on several bands a tuner is essential. Hopefully this MFJ product will last. Construction and soldering were well done with no loose parts or solder bits inside. So far I'm happy with it.