Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | MFJ-998 IntelliTuner Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-998 IntelliTuner
MFJ-998 IntelliTuner Reviews: 90 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $699.95
Description: The MFJ-998 Full Legal Limit 1500 Watt Intellituner takes you to the final level in automatic antenna tuners. With a capability of 1500 watts SSB and CW, coupled with automatic tuning, your high-power station can now operate essentially hands-free even when frequency and band changes are made.
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/products.php?prodid=MFJ-998

You can write your own review of the MFJ-998 IntelliTuner.

AB6ME Rating: 0/5 Jul 9, 2016 17:32 Send this review to a friend
not working even after warranty repair  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Bought this tuner in December 2015 from gigaparts. Used it barefoot with my IC7410 with no problems. Purchased an 811H amp in May 2016. When I tried to use the MFJ998 with my AL811H none of the meters would work when the amp was enabled. Just totally dead as if no rf was going through the tuner. Meters would work fine when amp was in standby, but when amp was enabled nothing. Therfore I was unable to tune my amp. I called MFJ and kond of got the run around but eventually they told me to send it to them for warranty repair. Cost me over $60 for shipping there and back. I wanted to be sure they understood what was going on so included a VERY detailed letter with the return. Also spoke on the phone with Stan explaining the problem and with Rob after they received the return. There can be no doubt they knew what was wrong. Over a month later I get the tuner back saying it had been repaired. Hook it up, turn it on and exact same problem. I bought a new LDG AT1000ProII autotuner hooked it up and it works perfectly so I know it is not my station. Now I have an expensive tuner I can't use and can't sell. Needless to say I am done with MFJ. By the way, I love the LDG AT1000ProII. Works like a champ. I wish I had purchased it first, I would be $700 richer.

KI7DG Rating: 5/5 Jun 21, 2016 15:24 Send this review to a friend
6YRS AND STILL WORKING  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is an update to my previous review. I have had this now for 6+ years and the only problem is the on/off switch does not work. I don't use it anyways since when turning on the station it comes on so don't need the switch. It tunes ALL my antennas from 10m thru 160m. That includes Verticals, Beam and wires. Once it finds the sweet spot it goes their automatically any time I Tx close to it with just a click, noise wise. I have recommended this to friends and two did purchase and both did have problems but MFJ corrected it with NO hassle and they were happy. Still a fine unit and recommend it.

VE3BR Rating: 5/5 Jun 4, 2016 05:22 Send this review to a friend
Yet another MFJ product that works as advertised!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Recently I have again come across really negative, disparaging eHam reviews of various MFJ products. There must be a rebirth of the MFJ haters movement.

I honestly do not get all this negativity. Before you spew it out (and before you buy an MFJ product), simply read the specs and -important this one!- have a good look at the price tag.

I have had my MFJ-998 for over 7 years.

Caveat emptor: the maximum power I have ever put through this tuner was probably ~600 Watts CW.

After a few months, for reasons unknown (the owner/operator is always innocent like a little baby goat!), one of the toroids on the antenna input board burnt, taking with it a couple of diodes.

MFJ has handled this extremely well: no questions, no attempts at finger pointing, a warranty repair at no cost to me, parts replaced and unit re-calibrated. Yes, I had to pay for shipping, but other than that I was treated as a proverbial "valued customer".

Since then nothing, other that I have updated the firmware a few times; MFJ 998 has worked just flawlessly.

The tuner is well-constructed and does exactly what the specs say it will do. It is fast and accurate. It handles my DX-Engineering 55 foot Thunderbolt dual band vertical (designed for 80/40 meters) extremely well anywhere between 3.5 to 30 MHz. (160 meters is a different story, but that is no surprise.)

I would not claim that it can tune a bedspring loaded metal mesh lawn chair, but darn close to it :)

It is loud, but I "suck it up" for the value to price ratio.

I again have to give a "5" to an MFJ product that does what it is supposed to do at a very reasonable price.

W5LRU Rating: 5/5 May 5, 2016 09:46 Send this review to a friend
Excellent auto-tuner  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I traded a LDG PROII 1000 for the MFJ 998 so I could have one for up to 1500W PEP. It has worked great right out of the box and I purchased directly at a HRO store in Plano, Texas a couple of months ago. I am well pleased with the unit and I believe it is as good if not better than the one I traded for it. The LDG1000 was just that up to 1000W PEP and I wanted the added safety of being able to push the 1000W without fear of damaging the unit as I would have with LDG product.

N8WGM Rating: 5/5 Feb 15, 2016 09:07 Send this review to a friend
Quick and nice  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I've owned this tuner now for a few months and it never ceases to amaze me.

It tunes very quickly and allows me to operate on sections of bands my antenna is not resonant on. 1500 watt capacity is nice.

It is somewhat noisy the first time but once it gets the settings in memory, it is just one little click and it is tuned. The first time, it may click for a few seconds to maybe a minute. After that, just a quick click and boom....you are tuned.
It has 20,000 memories so it will remember pretty much everything you need to operate anywhere in the ham bands with the right antenna.

I recommend this tuner. I've owned many manual tuners and this is my first auto tuner. You don't know what you are missing by using an auto tuner.....it is a real nice change from a manual tuner.

WB8NXR Rating: 5/5 Jan 17, 2016 16:30 Send this review to a friend
Looking great so far!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'm just getting back into HF after a hiatus of almost a quarter-century.

I have an IC-7600 barefoot and an Alpha Delta DX-CC 80-10 wire in the backyard. It's installed as a horizontal Vee between three trees about thirteen feet off the ground. And the trees are too close together to have the wire fully straight. :-(

While the built-in tuner on the IC-7600 worked well on 40, 20 and parts of 10, 15 was marginal and 80/75 was unusable. Unusable as in the foldover dropped the power to about 2 watts and the built-in tuner could not handle any portion of the band. Probably because the ends of the wire are lying against the tree trunks or something. :-)

After having experienced the Palstar auto-tuner at a friend's home, I knew I didn't want a manual tuner as I used last century. I decided on the MFJ-998 autotuner because it was about 40% of the cost of the Palstar. I also purchased the Icom interface cable.

The tuner was packed securely in the MFJ box and used styrofoam corners and inserts. Inside and out it looked great. While it does not come with a printed manual anymore, it did come with a short power cord, about two feet. The store I purchased it from packed it in another box and wrapped the MFJ box in bubble wrap.

Connection was easy. Just hook up the cables, power and plug the interface cable into the IC-7600 and the tuner. There is a menu on the tuner that you need to set for to the Alinco/Icom setting. The IC-7600 needed no configuration.

Power up the tuner first and then power up the radio and you're ready to go. Pressing the Tuner button on the IC-7600 kicks it into 10 watt mode and tunes the tuner. I took the advice of someone (who I don't recall) who said to just go on each band and do a tune every 5 KHz. That sets everything in the tuner memory for when you need it. That was really good advice.

I was concerned that the antenna and barefoot might be "sub-optimal" but after working the North American QSO party this weekend I know that's not true. 20/40/75/80 were good and I made several cross-country contacts on 75. The tuner even worked on 12 and 17 even though the antenna is not designed for them.

I'm still looking for a solid state full-power amplifier so I'll update this whenever I get one.

K1RI Rating: 2/5 Dec 17, 2015 07:40 Send this review to a friend
MFJ sez it all  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Purchased new Dec 2015. Worked good all bands except 75/80 into a resonant 75 meter dipole. Extreme RF at all power levels. When taken out of line and replaced with my 25 year old manual tuner, RF completely gone.

WM4RB Rating: 5/5 Nov 13, 2015 09:38 Send this review to a friend
Great Tuner!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned my tuner for a little over a year now. I use it to tune a 530 ft loop at 40 feet in the air. It will tune anywhere on all the HF bands and handles legal limit power. It also tunes within 2 to 3 seconds. I am very pleased with the performance of the MFJ-998 IntelliTuner!

WA8UEG Rating: 5/5 Nov 13, 2015 09:20 Send this review to a friend
Great auto tuner!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been using mine for around 4 years, first with a FT1000MP and now with my FT5000MP. It tunes my 2 element 20/15/10 on 17 & 12 in the blink of an eye and handles 1500 watts from my Swan MK II with no problem. I also used it to tune my 80/40 meter fan dipole to 60 meters prior to putting up individual dipoles. The optional rig interface cuts the exciter power to 50 watts, cuts the amp out and tunes before I can take my hand off the button and down to the VFO knob. The 998 is a really nice dependable tuner.

KB1GKN Rating: 2/5 Nov 12, 2015 20:17 Send this review to a friend
poor quality  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Initial assessment of "out of the box" quality - I purchased this tuner at HRO in Salem, NH. When I got home and unpacked it I found a strange breaking-up of the packaging foam inside the sealed and undamaged box. Further examination revealed a large and noticeable scratch on the front panel. I really wanted to bring this back to the store for an exchange, but they had no others in stock. Facing a weekend when I wanted to be on the air, I accepted the poor quality and bad initial experience so I could be on the air.
Had I bought this used, I could've accepted a scratch or two if the price were right. But paying full price for a brand new item, this damage is unacceptable.