Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | MFJ-998 IntelliTuner Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-998 IntelliTuner
MFJ-998 IntelliTuner Reviews: 77 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $699.95
Description: The MFJ-998 Full Legal Limit 1500 Watt Intellituner takes you to the final level in automatic antenna tuners. With a capability of 1500 watts SSB and CW, coupled with automatic tuning, your high-power station can now operate essentially hands-free even when frequency and band changes are made.
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/products.php?prodid=MFJ-998

You can write your own review of the MFJ-998 IntelliTuner.

K4LSX Rating: 5/5 Jul 15, 2015 05:17 Send this review to a friend
very nice!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been using the 998 for several years. When I used it the first time I heard arcing inside. The leads to the SO-239s on ANT 1 and ANT 2 had not been soldered, not even a bad solder joint! That was a quick fix and it has been great since.

MFJ has always had a QC issue and one must treat many of their products as if they were kits. After all, we no longer have Heathkits, Knight kits or WRL kits, so MFJ is filling a real void! Sorry for the folks that can't solder. I do find their products to be a good value after you get over the QC problems.

W6EES Rating: 5/5 Jul 14, 2015 14:47 Send this review to a friend
Best tuner I ever owned..  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought this tuner after reading several reports here. The price was right for my budget. However, I keep all receipts and boxes for several months until I could believe in it. First thing I did was inspect the insides for loose connections, poor soldering and loose hardware. Everything was perfect. I then connected it to my existing coax going to my old AH-4 tuner. It would not tune properly to my 33' vertical on my motor home. Read the manual several times till I noticed that the coax feed was too short. I installed 90' of coax to my 4:1 unun and now it tunes everything 1.5:1 It will tune much lower if you fine tune it. My big mistake was the coax feed length. This has cured all the problems I had with this installation. I love my tuner and trust it 100% I have an ICOM 706mkIIg and a Yaesu 2100f amp. Robert W6EES

VE7IG Rating: 4/5 Jul 10, 2015 09:40 Send this review to a friend
Works pretty well, not perfect.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got tired of waiting for the Alpha 4040 and bought one of these. Problems with wrist of right hand made rotating the inductor in a manual tuner increasingly more difficult.

This tuner works but often the SWR indicated on the readout varies significantly from the actual SWR as measured by digital and analog meters. This can cause problems because when it reads higher the tuner can hold the amplifier off and when lower it can be difficult or impossible to reduce the SWR further. Manually reducing and increasing L and C using the up/down buttons can help but this does not often produce a real 1:1.

The radio cable supplied was far too short. It needs to be at least a foot longer. I couldn't use it. Actually it isn't necessary as the tune button on the tuner itself does the job.

I've kept the Ameritron ATR-30 on the desk (using a large DPDT coax relay) for more demanding tuning but the MFJ auto tuner delivers close enough matching for most bands/antennas.

As I use most of the antennas I have on several bands a tuner is essential. Hopefully this MFJ product will last. Construction and soldering were well done with no loose parts or solder bits inside. So far I'm happy with it.

AA8HS Rating: 4/5 Jun 30, 2015 18:18 Send this review to a friend
Pain in the neck on 10 meters with Ameritron ALS-1300  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
On 10 meters, I was able to achieve 1:1 without the tuner. With the 998 engaged, the SWR was always worse and sometimes over 1:7. This caused issues with my Ameritron amp because when the SWR rose, the amp shut down. I had to keep the power below 20 watts input with the tuner engaged to prevent amplifier shutdown. With the tuner switched out (brief press of TUNE button), there was no shutdown. On the Ameritron 1300, power must be kept at no more than 30 watts since, at this level, produces over 700 watts; so the tuning is critical.
Any slight annoyance is that when you are transmitting, the frequency display jumps all over the place but it does not affect the SWR. Overall, a bullet proof tuner but sometimes it is better to disengage it and will result in a lower SWR as displayed on the SWR meter on the radio.

K5BJM Rating: 5/5 May 30, 2015 20:08 Send this review to a friend
GREAT TUNER!!!!!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have used for 4 years and still works perfect! Lower losses than other tuners due to its design. Relays clicking makes a little noise, who cares! It still matches any antenna I use it on and matches to 1.2 to 1 in seconds every time. Defiantly worth your money. Yes MFJ can use better quality control but when you produce as many of these that are sold, you can expect a few that will have some kind of problems.

K4AEC Rating: 5/5 Apr 24, 2015 12:12 Send this review to a friend
Works Quite Well  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had the MFJ-998 since July, 2011, and it has performed quite well. I have run "legal limit" power through it (Ameritron AL-1200) when acting as NCS for a state-wide ARES net, and as little as 10-15 watts running low-power digital modes, and it handles either equally as well. It can act as an amp key line relay, and can act as an "autotuner" for many rigs (i.e., enable the "TUNE" button on the rig) with the right interface cable. It does have many functions, so a good review of the manual is recommended. I'm convinced that many of the low ratings, especially from "new" users, can be attributed to operators just not "reading the manual" before operating, and then, when poor or unexpected results are obtaining, simply blaming the tuner.

KC3CVI Rating: 2/5 Apr 18, 2015 07:56 Send this review to a friend
disapointed  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Unit arrived DOA this week. There where 2 issues. 1) There was no jumperblock at TP1 as there needs to be for my yaesu. I pinched the pins together and applied solder. Problem #1 fixed. 2)analog meter did not work. A wire going to the meter was not solderd. Again a quick fix. Problem #2 fixed.
Now the tuner works as advertised. If it had not had those 2 issues I would rate it a 4 because it does work as it should.(after I fixed it!) I took 1 additional point off for the cheaply made enclosure. Again I want to stress that the unit works well and does everything it's designed to do. But being DOA is a hard negitive to overcome.

W6GX Rating: 5/5 Feb 26, 2015 08:36 Send this review to a friend
Very low loss on the low bands  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this tuner since 2009. It was worked very well for me. I have since upgraded it to a Palstar HF-Auto however I still use the 998 on the low bands. Due to the switched L design the tuner has very low loss on 80m and 160m. This can be confirmed by the QST tests which include loss in %. And since there are no air-gap capacitors there's no possibility of arcing which can occur on the HF-Auto. For the price I think the 998 is hard to beat.

K3QYE Rating: 5/5 Feb 24, 2015 07:19 Send this review to a friend
Got it on sale from HRO Works better than expected.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have had the unit for 3 months and find it works very well. Tunes my 160 & 80 OCFD's very well on bands designed for. Will not match the 80 meter OCFD on 160 meters. Opened the unit and found it to be well constructed and solder contacts very good, Quelling concerns about other MFJ product reviews. It won't let you load with more than 1500 watts, saving the equipment. Paint job could be better, but hey it WORKS as promised. The instruction could use a diagram to show where J1 is located, but it is clearly marked, once inside the unit.

KE4ZHN Rating: 5/5 Oct 11, 2014 16:04 Send this review to a friend
Better than expected  Time owned: more than 12 months
After many years of running a manual roller inductor tuner I finally decided to get myself an automatic so I could move from band to band faster. I have had this 998 for just over a year now and it has worked fine from the day I took it out of the box. I found no loose parts inside and the soldering was first rate. The menu on this tuner is easy to adjust and set up and the amplifier keying line protection circuit is nice. The only things I don't like about it are the relays are a bit noisy when its tuning and sometimes it will fail to tune due to asking for more RF to find a match. Minor issues and only on certain bands with my doublet antenna. It does find a match on all bands and although a little finicky on 2 bands its my antenna system not the tuner. It has never overheated or failed on me. I have run an SB220 into it at full power numerous times on all the bands and it never gets warm. Combine this with a solid state amp and you have a sweet point and shoot combination for hunting DX.