Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | MFJ-998 IntelliTuner Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-998 IntelliTuner
MFJ-998 IntelliTuner Reviews: 104 Average rating: 3.9/5 MSRP: $699.95
Description: The MFJ-998 Full Legal Limit 1500 Watt Intellituner takes you to the final level in automatic antenna tuners. With a capability of 1500 watts SSB and CW, coupled with automatic tuning, your high-power station can now operate essentially hands-free even when frequency and band changes are made.
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/products.php?prodid=MFJ-998

You can write your own review of the MFJ-998 IntelliTuner.

WM4RB Rating: 5/5 Dec 9, 2016 17:20 Send this review to a friend
Great Tuner  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned mine for over a year and it tunes great and fast every time. No problem here and I'm very satisfied.

Mike, WM4RB

K1MMI Rating: 5/5 Dec 9, 2016 08:55 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Tuner  Time owned: more than 12 months
On the very rare occasions when I saw the QRO/QRP error I thought the MFJ-998 had a design flaw.

Eventually, I realized after using the 998 on some band the Inductor(L) and Capacitor(C) values were set for that band and when I switched to another band those L and C values presented a very high SWR to my Transceiver, which resulted in my Transceiver folding back the output power from 20 watts to a value that was too low for the 998 to detect the new frequency and then set the new L and C values from memory or to a more appropriate starting value to tune on the new band.

My solution has been to set the Transceiver to a different band, then hit the TUNE button on the 998, then back to the band I got the QRO/QRP error on and hit the TUNE button on the 998. For me, it takes less than 5 seconds to solve this rare QRO/QRP error.

I use the MFJ-998 with my ALS-600 amplifier and I would give it a 4.7 or a 4.8 because it is so user friendly for my operating. The internal tuner in my transceiver can only match an SWR of up to 4.5 to 1. The 998 has a wide matching range that allows me to operate on any frequency in the 160 thru 6 meter bands.

W6NWS Rating: 2/5 Dec 7, 2016 15:51 Send this review to a friend
Generally OK  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I mainly use this with a K3 and ALS1306. There are a number of odd things. It doesn't always tune readily. The K3 has a tune mode which I set to 20W. Most of the time the 998 will tune. But sometimes it says QRO or QRP. The most annoying "feature" is that I can tune with the 20W and then when turning on the amp it decides to retune usually not very well with a higher SWR than when I started which of course shuts down the amp (being SS the amp is quite sensitive to SWR). My K3, TS2000, and TS940SAT all have a much wider tuning range than the 998 especially on 80M. I have to turn it off and on again to get it to tune occasionally mainly on 80M where the initial frequency display is often around 2.5MHz but corrects itself after getting going. It generally behaves and is usually useful. I probably would not buy another 998,

N1ZLE Rating: 4/5 Oct 8, 2016 15:03 Send this review to a friend
Works Fine, RTFM.  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This is my second Auto Tuner, Very happy with it. Operation isn't as intuitive as it could be. I run the AL-82 thru it without issue. I tune amp into Dummy Load via Tuner antenna switch. then switch over to antenna and hit the tune button. Never any issues at all. I made an interface cable to the FT5K and it tunes on every band. I use three different wire antennas on an external remote antenna switch. A ZS6BKW, an 80 MTR Dipole, and a 75 MTR Loop. No issues on any of them at full legal limit. The meter accuracy is sub par as is the freq display. I paid slightly over $400 used, and couldn't be happier.
N1ZLE

SV8RMA Rating: 0/5 Aug 19, 2016 09:18 Send this review to a friend
Worst tuner ever  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This tuner is not working as advertised.When you tune to a band OK and then change to another band ,the tuner most of the times doesnít sense the RF from the radio and stucks.You have to make some band changes to the radio and transmit, before the tuner decides to tune.I have tried it with several radios and several antennas but the results are always the same.I have send it back to the Dealer twice and he confirmed the way it operates (and so did the others he had in stock).MFJ send me twice the program chip of the tuner but the results were the same.Probably they know that this is a bad product but they donít admit it.
I have uploaded a short video of the operation of the tuner to you tube for anyone who is interested.
This performance is unacceptable for this kind of tuner.The 0 rating is because
1.You donít know when the tuner will decide to tune ,and if it doesnít you have to make band changes to your radio as a kid and TX everytime ,in order to make it tune.
2.And also because MFJ claims that this is the normal operation of the tuner as advertised..!!!
My advice Östay away!73 de SV8RMA

AB6ME Rating: 0/5 Jul 9, 2016 17:32 Send this review to a friend
not working even after warranty repair  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Bought this tuner in December 2015 from gigaparts. Used it barefoot with my IC7410 with no problems. Purchased an 811H amp in May 2016. When I tried to use the MFJ998 with my AL811H none of the meters would work when the amp was enabled. Just totally dead as if no rf was going through the tuner. Meters would work fine when amp was in standby, but when amp was enabled nothing. Therfore I was unable to tune my amp. I called MFJ and kond of got the run around but eventually they told me to send it to them for warranty repair. Cost me over $60 for shipping there and back. I wanted to be sure they understood what was going on so included a VERY detailed letter with the return. Also spoke on the phone with Stan explaining the problem and with Rob after they received the return. There can be no doubt they knew what was wrong. Over a month later I get the tuner back saying it had been repaired. Hook it up, turn it on and exact same problem. I bought a new LDG AT1000ProII autotuner hooked it up and it works perfectly so I know it is not my station. Now I have an expensive tuner I can't use and can't sell. Needless to say I am done with MFJ. By the way, I love the LDG AT1000ProII. Works like a champ. I wish I had purchased it first, I would be $700 richer.

KI7DG Rating: 5/5 Jun 21, 2016 15:24 Send this review to a friend
6YRS AND STILL WORKING  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is an update to my previous review. I have had this now for 6+ years and the only problem is the on/off switch does not work. I don't use it anyways since when turning on the station it comes on so don't need the switch. It tunes ALL my antennas from 10m thru 160m. That includes Verticals, Beam and wires. Once it finds the sweet spot it goes their automatically any time I Tx close to it with just a click, noise wise. I have recommended this to friends and two did purchase and both did have problems but MFJ corrected it with NO hassle and they were happy. Still a fine unit and recommend it.

VE3BR Rating: 5/5 Jun 4, 2016 05:22 Send this review to a friend
Yet another MFJ product that works as advertised!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Recently I have again come across really negative, disparaging eHam reviews of various MFJ products. There must be a rebirth of the MFJ haters movement.

I honestly do not get all this negativity. Before you spew it out (and before you buy an MFJ product), simply read the specs and -important this one!- have a good look at the price tag.

I have had my MFJ-998 for over 7 years.

Caveat emptor: the maximum power I have ever put through this tuner was probably ~600 Watts CW.

After a few months, for reasons unknown (the owner/operator is always innocent like a little baby goat!), one of the toroids on the antenna input board burnt, taking with it a couple of diodes.

MFJ has handled this extremely well: no questions, no attempts at finger pointing, a warranty repair at no cost to me, parts replaced and unit re-calibrated. Yes, I had to pay for shipping, but other than that I was treated as a proverbial "valued customer".

Since then nothing, other that I have updated the firmware a few times; MFJ 998 has worked just flawlessly.

The tuner is well-constructed and does exactly what the specs say it will do. It is fast and accurate. It handles my DX-Engineering 55 foot Thunderbolt dual band vertical (designed for 80/40 meters) extremely well anywhere between 3.5 to 30 MHz. (160 meters is a different story, but that is no surprise.)

I would not claim that it can tune a bedspring loaded metal mesh lawn chair, but darn close to it :)

It is loud, but I "suck it up" for the value to price ratio.

I again have to give a "5" to an MFJ product that does what it is supposed to do at a very reasonable price.

W5LRU Rating: 5/5 May 5, 2016 09:46 Send this review to a friend
Excellent auto-tuner  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I traded a LDG PROII 1000 for the MFJ 998 so I could have one for up to 1500W PEP. It has worked great right out of the box and I purchased directly at a HRO store in Plano, Texas a couple of months ago. I am well pleased with the unit and I believe it is as good if not better than the one I traded for it. The LDG1000 was just that up to 1000W PEP and I wanted the added safety of being able to push the 1000W without fear of damaging the unit as I would have with LDG product.

N8WGM Rating: 5/5 Feb 15, 2016 09:07 Send this review to a friend
Quick and nice  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I've owned this tuner now for a few months and it never ceases to amaze me.

It tunes very quickly and allows me to operate on sections of bands my antenna is not resonant on. 1500 watt capacity is nice.

It is somewhat noisy the first time but once it gets the settings in memory, it is just one little click and it is tuned. The first time, it may click for a few seconds to maybe a minute. After that, just a quick click and boom....you are tuned.
It has 20,000 memories so it will remember pretty much everything you need to operate anywhere in the ham bands with the right antenna.

I recommend this tuner. I've owned many manual tuners and this is my first auto tuner. You don't know what you are missing by using an auto tuner.....it is a real nice change from a manual tuner.