Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | KK4TR G5RV 80 - 10 Meter Doublet Help

Reviews Summary for KK4TR G5RV 80 - 10 Meter Doublet
Reviews: 3 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $$54.95
Description: We Use 102 Feet Of #14 Stranded Wire For the Flat Top And "Are Proud To Announce The Upgrade To A 30 Foot Section Of 300 Ohm 1kw Ladder Line" For The Tuning Stub. No BALUN Is Used As A BALUN Dramatically Reduces All Band Operation And Transmit Efficiency. This Very Popular Antenna Has A Broadside Bidirectional Low Angle Radiation (DX) Pattern If Mounted 1/2 Wavelength Off Of Ground At Lowest Operating Frequency, A Higher Angle (RAG CHEW AND SOME DX) If Mounted 1/4 Wavelength Off Of Ground, A High Angle Cloud Warmer (RAG CHEW) If Mounted Less Then 1/4 Wavelength Off Of The Ground. For Those Amateurs Who Have Limited Space And Still What To Get On The Some Of The Lower Frequency Bands A Half Size Junior Model Is Now Available. Made To The Same High Standards As The Full Size G5RV Except That The Total Size Of The Flat-top Portion Is Only 52ft!! Great For A Small City Lot In "1/4 Acreville". We Also Stock The 160 meter Version Of This Antenna Which Has a 204 ft Flat-Top Portion. This Antenna Like All The Larger Antenna's Are Made To Order And Are Shipped Very Soon After Payment Is Recieved.
More info: http://kk4tr.tripod.com/index-10.html

You can write your own review of the KK4TR G5RV 80 - 10 Meter Doublet.

WA4JM Rating: 5/5 Jun 29, 2011 12:16 Send this review to a friend
K4TR G5RV Re-Visited for FD 2011  Time owned: more than 12 months
Dusted off the reliable G5RV manufactured by Joe Dube-K4TR of Brooksville, Fl. Do a web search for K4TR rather than KK4TR since he changed his callsign.

Now to the story. We started with a Alpha-Delta fan style dipole that was 80 feet over-all for our CW station. Bottom line: It sucked. The operator WK2G, could barley hear signals on 20 meters and had only worked a few. 5 hours into FD, we made the decision to directly substitute the Alpha-Delta with K4TR antenna. VIOLA! Signals galore, stations worked, the only down-side was we lost 5 hours with the crappy Alpha-Delta antenna.

BTW, we worked over 500 CW stations with Joe's antenna.

Joe's antenna is nicely made and he's a pleasure to work with. For what he charges for the antenna and the quality, it's not worth the time to roll your own.

W5WAA Rating: 5/5 May 28, 2010 11:03 Send this review to a friend
Worth the money, it works  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this G5RV made by KK4TR up about 2 years. It has withstood 2 hurricanes and a lot of bad winds. Still standing and used daily. I've been experimenting with lots of other antennas and have come to the conclusion that if you have room for only one antenna choosing the G5RV will give you very satisfactory performance. I have talked to hams the world over with great reports on the G5RV. I did a lot of A/B comparisons with other wire antennas that I built;loops, verticals, dipoles of various sorts, Moxon beams, etc. Overall, some of the experimental antennas came close, and on occasion, gave another S unit or so on some bands, but overall, the G5RV is the best general purpose antenna, tunes easy with manual or ATU and works, and, you get good transmit reports, not just receive. I recently installed a 17m Double Extended Zepp as a permanent 2nd antenna, it is the only experimental antenna I tested that justified having a second antenna, it showed almost 2 "S" units improvement on receive, on A/B transmit it showed a slight gain over the G5RV.

W2LEW Rating: 5/5 Jan 31, 2010 12:07 Send this review to a friend
Best bang for the Buck  Time owned: more than 12 months
I met Joe several years ago and purchased one of his full size G5RV Doublet antennas. I have been using it continously with fantastic results. They said that my new FT-2000D would not tune a G5RV but the Yaesu Ft-2K tunes this one FB with a flat SWR on most bands.