Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | Palstar AA30 Help

Reviews Summary for Palstar AA30
Palstar AA30 Reviews: 2 Average rating: 3.0/5 MSRP: $99.00
Description: Inline Active Antenna Tuner
More info: http://www.palstar.com/aa30.php

You can write your own review of the Palstar AA30.

KB7WOX Rating: 5/5 Dec 19, 2015 10:21 Send this review to a friend
Works just fine   Time owned: more than 12 months
Got one from a SWL, a few years ago, for some odd and unexplained reasons had two front knobs missing. Otherwise, in excellent condition and in good working order, found some replacement knobs and it works great adding a little more to the weaker signals.

K7KEY Rating: 1/5 Oct 21, 2015 18:46 Send this review to a friend
Poor to worthless  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I should have known better, but the hype over active antennas got me wondering. My wife's mom wanted a SW receiver that she could move around the house and take camping. With her being non-technically oriented, I was looking for some easy-to-operate portable receiving antenna solutions, and bought a copy of the Palstar AA30. I selected the Palstar active antenna precisely because I own a couple of other pieces of Palstar equipment that I've been very pleased with. I hoped that Palstar would be selling something effective, if anyone could. But after hours and hours of trying the device with both the included telescoping antenna, and various outdoor antennas, on a wide range of frequencies, with several different RX, I couldn't find anything that this device can do well, on any band, with any antenna. In every case I got significantly superior reception results with every antenna by just feeding it to the RX through a simple impedance matching tuner. I returned the AA30 to the seller and was left wondering how Palstar could presume to market such a dud. I think this device proves that there is rarely any magic that can be had with preamps and preselectors, at least if the RX is of any quality to start with. I give it one star instead of zero only because of my respect for Palstar, and because there might be some special situation where you might find the AA30 useful.