Reviews Categories | Ham Software - Other than logging | CQ100 Help

Reviews Summary for CQ100
CQ100 Reviews: 33 Average rating: 4.2/5 MSRP: $Free for 90 days, then $32/yr
Description: The so-called "virtual ionosphere" to allow legally licensed amateurs world-wide
the ability to make QSOs via the Internet
More info: http://qsonet.com

You can write your own review of the CQ100.

K5REZ Rating: 5/5 Mar 4, 2014 14:10 Send this review to a friend
Fun  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Is propagation lousy? No problem. Use CQ-100
Contesters everywhere? CQ-100 eliminates that.
Noise? RF issues? CQ-100 fits the bill.

A great alternative to HF for licensed folks.

Big tip: 14.200 is the calling frequency. Go there, call CQ and then move off. Plenty of nets, roundtables, etc. Great alternative.

KD8TUT Rating: 2/5 Nov 28, 2013 12:15 Send this review to a friend
Just ok....  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This program is a good idea, and functions well. The interface is pleasing, and there was a lot of skill employed in it's creation.

I would recommend it on principle. And I am a subscriber. But I'm very frustrated with the areas where it misses the mark.

First, the "free competition":

All of it's functionality is duplicated by Teamspeak. And I've been using Teamspeak with other hams for some time now (for free).

Echolink, does the same thing, and allows you to get on the air (for free).

Remotehams.com allows you real HF access (for free- but you can donate)

Second, where it misses the mark:

CQ100 is exclusive to only licensed ham operators, which I think is a marketing mistake on the scale of "old Coke, new Coke". There's a missed opportunity here to use "simulated modes" to recruit and acclimate non-hams into the hobby (and make money doing it!). Voip/internet modes present one of the greatest opportunities to recruit and teach new hams that this hobby has ever had. This program could be hotbed of recruitment into the hobby, while increasing it's activity level.

There isn't much simulation of HF conditions in the program. Which is something that would make me happier as a subscriber.

In short, this is a great program that really misses it's calling. It needs to go another direction from a commercial and practical standpoint. If you're looking for a "ham only" social club with perfect reception- this might be something that would interest you. But be aware, that Echolink, Remotehams.com, and Teamspeak can provide the same experience. And in the case of Echolink and Remotehams.com- you can even get on the air.

However, if the program opened itself to non licensed subscribers, I would be much happier with it- because "off air" or "simulated modes" are the future for getting people interested in the hobby.

So while I'm fairly disappointed overall, I am a subscriber based on "principle". These new "off air modes" are an important development in ham radio and need to be supported.

WA4LJO Rating: 4/5 Jul 29, 2013 13:44 Send this review to a friend
So very happy with this program.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
WA4LJO thinks this program is great!! Hope many will join us here. My experiences have been very satisfying and helpful.

K7KLB Rating: 5/5 Jan 4, 2013 08:08 Send this review to a friend
Easy and Friendly  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I find the CQ 100 overall fun enjoyable and easy to use and yes it is Amateur Radio and they also require a license check to be on the program. Very nice people and they have a free 90 day trial for you to try. This is also great for our Elder ham operators that are limited to what they can do and still enjoy this wonderful gift we have been given. I am joining as well as a friend of mind. I have tried the others and I find this one to be my choice. Happy New Year to all. 73's Keith

W2BLC Rating: 5/5 Mar 5, 2012 14:11 Send this review to a friend
Excellent RF alternative  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been using CQ100 for several years on a daily basis. It allows me to keep in contact with many hams that can no longer get on the air due to living circumstances (no antennas etc.).

It works like HF radio, has rules and requires a current license. It does not involve RF - so condo rules can't stop you. Can even be used in a nursing home - or on the beach with WiFi.

Allows the communication and companionship of ham radio to those who would be without such if there was no CQ100.

I operate both RF and VOIP - and I enjoy them both. An advantage of CQ100 is no QSB, QRM, QRN and you can share pictures.

Go ahead nay sayers - refuse to use it because it isn't real radio. You can always watch TV or read a book. I use it to have communication and companionship.

K2BEW Rating: 5/5 Dec 11, 2010 21:09 Send this review to a friend
A wonderful program!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Notice I said "program", and yes, that is why it is in the software section. It never claimed to be radio and it makes no sense to me to see reviewers complaining it is not. If you're not interested then just don't use it why complain about something others enjoy?
I tried it a few weeks ago because I am in the process of moving and don't have a radio on the air. I also tried Hamsphere to compare and really like CQ 100 better, so I am subscribing to CQ 100. Also CQ 100 gives you a very generous 90 day free trial.
I did like the fact that CQ 100 limits use to only licensed amateurs and does a check to ensure you really are the license holder, unlike Hamsphere.
I found the folks talking on CQ 100 wonderful and as a newly licensed operator I have found it a great tool to learn how to operate better. Lots of experienced HAMS on the stations, and I think it is great that the program sticks to following proper radio procedure even though technically they don't have to.
There are many nets and even a few contests. There is a CW practice listening station, and with the ability to actually use CW with other folks I look forward to using it for CW communications once I get better at it.

No, it will not replace radio but when I don't have access to one or I am traveling with my netbook what better way to still enjoy the hobby?! Actually I am sure I will use this a lot at home once my radios are on the air too.

Finally, I thinks that CQ 100's greatest strength is it allows disabled or aging operators who can no longer get a radio on the air to continue this great hobby!
Tom B. N2BEW

K3ROJ Rating: 5/5 Aug 30, 2010 07:02 Send this review to a friend
CQ100 is tops  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is my second posting since 2008 and have been using CQ100 often to talk to many friends around the world. By listening to code practice on CQ100, I am now able to use CW at 30 WPM or more using my Flex 5000A without writing anything down except for calls and names. Just by turning the CW practice on while doing other things in the shack soon trains your brain to use it just as we use speech.It is remarkable how the brain can learn new things when almost 70 years old and CW has opened up a new world in Amateur radio, being able to speak with hams in Europe who only use CW. It is a shame our ARRL didn't fight to keep the FCC from taking our most important mode from us by no longer requiring it in testing.

KE1MI Rating: 5/5 Apr 23, 2010 09:37 Send this review to a friend
FUN FUN FUN  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Well, here I go. I am going to throw my 2 cents in on CQ100. Been at it for a couple weeks now, and even though my 90 day trial time is not over, I have subscribed. What to me after 25 years in ham radio, is some of the most FUN I have had in a long time. Yes it is VOIP, and not what everyone calls "real radio". You guys need to get over that mentality, I did. Yes it is a paid service. 32.00 US/year. I can use this system forever for the price of one new ham rig.
No QSB,QRM,QRN, lids, freebanders, guys running 2kw to talk to their friend down the road on 75 meter CB (er band). No jammers, and all the other bozo's that make "real radio" such a joy these days. Great for apartment dwellers, deed restricted communities, assisted living centers, (yes we hams are getting older, median age is what now? 50-60yrs.). It does CW, ssb, sstv, and guys are playing with psk31,rtty, etc. Works well even with dial-up for those of us that are Internet connected challenged (i.e. Rural). I so far have always found activity, and if you like to ragchew, this is the place for you. In 25yrs, I never worked Japan, Austraila, and a host of other places, as I have on CQ100. Simple program, works right out of the box. I have not had any problems yet, and don't expect to.
Cons: to me none (well lets talk about the fee-- rig, antennas, 1kw amp, power supply, coax, meters, fittings. etc. = Thousands, well 2 or so anyway to get back into it) CQ100 32.00$ = priceless.
I could go on and on about what I like. Try it if you have not, then decide. If you want ham radio without the hassels of modern day radio, then here it is. More FUN than a ham ought to have.Thank You VE3EFC and Cormac Tech. for putting the fun and spark back into ham radio for me.
( I have in no way been compensated for my review. These are my impressions only)
Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!

VK2LEE Rating: 4/5 Jan 26, 2010 01:56 Send this review to a friend
My Views on CQ100 after having 4 QSOs..  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Well, after using CQ100 for a week and having 4 QSO's, [although I have been listening a lot]
I find it much easier to use than echolink..
and more Ham radio friendly...
just by looking at it.
I would love it to have a place to make notes,
and to send printed info while someone is talking, like echolink..
this would really make it User Friendly.
The First problem I had was when I had my first QSO
I didn't write down the other Ham's name or callsign, so when He switched it back to me..
I have a mental blank....
Cannot remember His callsign..
this happened a few times until I wrote it down.
I haven't heard any Young Hams...
I don't think the cost would make much difference,
seeing How much We spend on other Ham related items.
I will be really interested in the CQ100 TV when I pay My money..

I find the CQ100 very basic, easy to use, but , maybe it will get updated in the future..

Lee Noonan VK2LEE

KK7CQ Rating: 5/5 Jun 7, 2009 14:17 Send this review to a friend
CQ100 - Great 24/7 communications...  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
CQ100 offers great Worldwide communications between all licensed operators anytime day or night. This is not RF radio...It wasn't meant to be...period. But what a fun way to chat with other amateurs all over the globe. The program is easy to install and configure. One doesn't
need an expensive microphone or headset. I currently use a 99 cent label mic plugged directly into my pc sound card..thats it.
Some CQ100 operators have had fun enhancing their mic audio response with mic equalizers
and gain amplifiers to produce studio quality audio.
I have made some great contacts to amateurs in Europe, India, remote locals in the Pacific, Japan, the Caribe, to name a few.
Some U.S. operators can even be found mobile in motion, using their laptop with a wireless aircard.
The QSOTV feature allows instant exchanging of
ham shack photos while chatting. Neat feature.
When the HF bands are unusable, CQ100 offers a relaxing means to communicate. I also use both
CQ100 and Echolink to act as a means to coordinate with other stations when "chasing Dx" on the RF bands.
Give CQ100 a try...It is what it is...a unique way to communicate. Have fun...