Reviews Categories | Ham Software - Other than logging | CQ100 Help

Reviews Summary for CQ100
CQ100 Reviews: 33 Average rating: 4.2/5 MSRP: $Free for 90 days, then $32/yr
Description: The so-called "virtual ionosphere" to allow legally licensed amateurs world-wide
the ability to make QSOs via the Internet
More info: http://qsonet.com

You can write your own review of the CQ100.

K8LEN Rating: 5/5 May 22, 2009 17:49 Send this review to a friend
good  Time owned: more than 12 months
GREAT system, sure beats buying equipment at todays prices, and if your in a restricted neighborhood, this works just fine.

Also a free one is hamsphere, which is full of many stations, and not cb type of operators..

cq 100 lets one get on the and experience in some ways amateur radio.

W2BLC Rating: 5/5 Apr 20, 2009 08:11 Send this review to a friend
Excellent for its purpose  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I do have to wonder why some reviewers rate the CQ100 system as a 0 or a 1, based solely upon their dislike for VOIP systems. The eHam review process is to tell others if a product works as designed and/or claimed. This is not the venue to vent about personal dislikes for particular modes of operation.

CQ100 is a fine ham radio use of VOIP. It provides ham radio style contacts without the need for antennas (very important to a growing number of ops) and allows ZERO chance of QRM.

The software and operation of the CQ100 QSO Net operation is technically excellent. I have spent the $32 for an annual membership - which is probably the least expensive purchase involving my shack I made in years. Considering the number of hours I spend on CQ100, the cost is pennies an hour.

The on screen "radio device" works FB. The software installs easily and is sure fire - very unlike my experiences with EchoLink.

Why anyone would want to include band fading and interference to make the experience more "radio like" is beyond me. I enjoy the quiet peaceful contacts I make on CQ100.

Hmmmm - maybe that is why some ops don't like CQ100 - they can't QRM anyone.

I have been hamming for over 45 years and treat CQ100 is just another mode that I choose to use as part of my overall ham radio operation.

N8FXH Rating: 1/5 Apr 20, 2009 07:11 Send this review to a friend
boring  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Tried this one for free and can't imagine why i would want to pay for it. VOIP programs are available all over the internet. No radio is ever involved in this process which makes it one step removed from Echolink orIRLP. The Program loads well and is easy to operate but it's not Ham Radio

NJ6F Rating: 5/5 Apr 20, 2009 00:04 Send this review to a friend
Great Program  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have just used the 3 month intro without the video.
Perfect for what it is...nice to be able to ID the operators that are on, less wasted time when scanning around, when you front the $/yr you get the video part as well.
If someone is hooked on radio NOISE and fading, for god sakes just go and try out this other program called hamsphere... put it in Google.

I personally like nice quiet perfect audio....
I am in the hobby to enjoy a nice conversation, not be a human DSP unit. It is bad enough trying to understand them when the audio is good, with foreign accents, dialects, and slang let along compound the problem with radio noise and conditions. Enjoy our new advances.

WY3X Rating: 3/5 Apr 19, 2009 20:25 Send this review to a friend
I guess if you want to pay for AOL Instant Messenger....  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I give it a "3" for effort because it seems like it simulates radio much better than other VOIP software, and will give clueless newbs a chance to get their feet wet without embarrassing themselves on the air. But really- why be embarrassed? Every ham has to learn how to act on the air eventually, right? Might as well jump in and try the real thing! Whoever heard of "virtual water" when teaching someone to swim? You take kids and put them in the shallow end of the pool, where their feet can touch bottom, and watch what happens! My recommendation to the software author is to remove the requirement to have a license, and let teaching teams point their students to the website so they can "practice" being on the air before getting their license and buying a REAL radio. Throw in some simulated static, some fast and slow fading on voice signals, some missed letters in someone's callsign, some poor CW fists, etc. and let it be a training tool. Make a Digipan and HAL-DXP38 console available. And have multiple "virtual" radios to choose from- an Icom IC-7000, a Ten Tec Orion II, a Yaesu FT-9000, etc. so potential buyers could get a feel for how the real radios operate. Have antenna, PL-259, and power patch cords on the screen and make users click and drag them to the proper locations on the radios and connect them to a virtual power supply, where they can "test" voltage and current draw. Simulate a shorted and/or open antenna. Have a manual antenna tuner on the screen and let them tweak the knobs to lower SWR before they can "transmit". Make all the knobs function in software just like they would on the real radios! This software concept has potential, but it appears to me it's become just another internet chat room... and ONE of these is one too many!

W1TLD Rating: 4/5 Apr 19, 2009 19:25 Send this review to a friend
I don't get it?  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am giving this product a good rating simply because it works. However....I just don't get it? Why would you want to "subscribe" for $32.00 a year when all you need is a laptop or desktop computer with "free" Echolink software, or something like that? Or, you can use a Ham radio with a very small antenna that will reach the nearest Echolink repeater. Seems to me like Echolink is awesome, and does everything the CQ100 can do...and is STILL Ham Radio! I far prefer the Echolink system to the CQ100, and wonder why anyone would want to pay for a subscription for this other item? I also wonder why the CQ100 requires a license?? crazy!

K6XR Rating: 5/5 Apr 19, 2009 18:53 Send this review to a friend
nice product  Time owned: more than 12 months
It does not matter if it is a internet chat room, it serves a purpose and is enjoyable. There are other means to communicate other than by a radio and antenna. It is a great idea and works well. I have been a ham since 1955 and have no problem with new idea's and technology.
It does not matter how we communicate with each other as long as we are talking to each other no matter what the venue!

N0JYC Rating: 5/5 Apr 19, 2009 18:20 Send this review to a friend
No Lectures, Please!  Time owned: more than 12 months
This VOIP has been great, for those that enjoy it. I haven't read about anyone claiming this is ham radio. It's a beautiful, clever option for those that have limited antenna space, broadcast restrictions, etc. situations. And, a nice alternative, for others, just because they like it. I always find someone on. For my money, a great value. Thanks again, Doug.

N0FPE Rating: 0/5 Apr 19, 2009 14:44 Send this review to a friend
No Thanks  Time owned: more than 12 months
Nothing more than a internet chat room. Big deal that it is for hams only. If this is what you think ham radio is then that too bad. There is little challange in talking to someone one an internet VOIP hookup. Hoot the horn all you want, you are STILL not on the air and are just using a VOIP chat room hookup. I can do that anytime without PAYING MORE money. what did hams of past times do when they couldnt have a huge station? They LERANED how to make things work and got on the air in any way they could. Now here we have CQ100 and all of its cousins and there is no learning how to make do with minumum antennas and low power radios. Just pay the money and DL the program and play fake radio. Maybe thats all ham radio is for you and thats fine. That leaves more bandwidth for me!!! CQ100 I will pass.
And yes I tried it for the free 90 days...BORING

AB9PM Rating: 5/5 Apr 19, 2009 12:29 Send this review to a friend
great idea!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
The CQ 100 was a great innovative idea. For those hams who cannot maintain their permanent station because of age, or living conditions it gives them a great venue to continue in the hobby. No it doesn't give you the ability to put your "signal" on the air, but it allows communications for amateur radio operators with restrictions. It can also be a good venue for new hams to learn protocol while not on the air yet. It is a hams only association and I think that is a positive thing.

It was a great idea, and more amateurs are joining over time. I am glad to have had the opportunity to participate, and I did join the group. I have experienced some very good conversations with different hams in other countries. It gave me a new perspective on my own living in the United States.

I complemented the owner of the system for his innovative idea. I like the look of having a rig in front of me with controls and a fake "s" meter. If you have a decent hf station it may not be for you, as you can realize your ham experience on the air. However for those less fortunate it is a great alternative experience and I hope other amateurs around the world continue to join.

Dave