Reviews Categories | Filters, Audio: (DSP and others) | West Mountain Radio ClearSpeech CLRspkr Help

Reviews Summary for West Mountain Radio ClearSpeech CLRspkr
West Mountain Radio ClearSpeech CLRspkr Reviews: 20 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $229
Description: ClearSpeech (DSP) enabled speaker with adjustable DSP and On/Off DSP and power switch.
More info: http://www.westmountainradio.com/CLRspkr.htm

You can write your own review of the West Mountain Radio ClearSpeech CLRspkr.

AF4KK Rating: 4/5 Mar 1, 2014 18:42 Send this review to a friend
Does what it says!  Time owned: more than 12 months
It's simply a great speaker with a superior DSP built in!! I've had positive experiences in ALL modes without that robotic sound common in many DSP units!! The only reason I didn't give it a rating of "5" is because of the plastic mounting bracket!

AK9S Rating: 4/5 Feb 28, 2014 15:30 Send this review to a friend
Pretty good...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have mixed feelings about the CLRspkr. It does a good job on SSB reception, but is mediocre for AM reception (i.e. shortwave broadcasters) and could be ergonomically improved.

The main issue is the amount of audio response clipping from the DSP filtering, which reduces intelligibility. In addition, noise and static are merely replaced with digital artifacts, which further reduces the listeners ability to clearly hear a transmission.

On AM transmissions, I sometimes find turning off the DSP filtering provides improved intelligibility compared to having it on.

That said, I do like the wattage of the speaker, as it is loud and clear but dislike the knobs being so close to each other. The LED light a millimeter away from the CLRspkr label further promotes the perception of sloppy ergonomics in what is a pricey speaker.

Due to the less than spectacular performance and minor ergonomic issues, I feel the speaker is overpriced. However, if you are into SSB communications, it may be of benefit.

KD5NDU Rating: 5/5 Sep 1, 2013 07:38 Send this review to a friend
great speaker  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got the DSP speaker a few days ago. I got it hook up to a ICOM 718. The first day I got the speaker it was noise on the radio. I it was around s-8 s-9 on the noise level. I was going to find out how good these speaker was. I got it hook to the ICOM 718 I got in the shack first. I was impressed on how the speaker work. If station listen to is strong coming in. It would knock all the noise out and sound like FM all most. With a weaker station it would help a lot on the noise level. And far as volume it got plenty of that. And it works better than the DSP in the ICOM 718. I tried it in my truck were I got a ICOM 718 that I use has a Mobile radio. I got two icom radio's The sound quality was good again. knocking down the noise level. And pleanty of volume coming out the speaker.I would buy one again.

KJ4KBC Rating: 5/5 Jun 21, 2013 13:05 Send this review to a friend
Doe's what it was designed to do!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had mine for two years. I currently use it with a Ten-Tec Paragon and sometimes my TS2000. Yes it's DSP is better than the IF DSP on my TS-2000. I usually don't use the speaker but plug my station speakers into the CLRspkr unit.It really reduces static without coloring the voice audio too much as some outboard DSP units will. The built in amplifier helps drive larger lower toned station speakers. Position one takes care of most Static and all Het's. If things are really bad then I'll use position two. Good purchase. Would recommend it.

KD8NCP Rating: 5/5 Jun 13, 2013 18:46 Send this review to a friend
Wish I had bought two of them  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I picked up one of these at the Dayton Hamvention this year and within 15 minutes had it hooked up to my Werker 100AH battery and Kenwood TS-440 for the ride home. I am very impressed with the unit's ability to separate speech from noise and it clearly does the job as advertised. It is very easy to use and I consider it an indispensable part of my shack (and mobile) operations. I wish that I had two of them so that I wouldn't have to move the unit back and forth between the mobile and the shack.

WI0C Rating: 2/5 Nov 14, 2012 07:17 Send this review to a friend
Dissapointing  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have electrical noise either from the power line or a neighbor. I read all the reviews and checked out the West Mountain web site. I admit I was still skeptical. If the power line noise is due to arcing, I suspect its mainly random noise. By definition, random things are not predictable so how can a DSP device remove it? The ultimate goal was to take a SSB signal corrupted by noise and make it more intelligible. Since the reviews were good I thought Id try it. This product did not do that in my case. It did reduce the apparent noise level; however, it did nothing to make a weak SSB signal more intelligible. It also added compression sounding artifacts to the audio that made it more annoying than if it was not used. I will say it did a nice job of taking out heterodynes, but heterodynes are not my problem.

I returned the unit and will eat the restocking fee.

I'm not considering something like the MFJ-1026 Noise Canceling Filter. This makes more sense for random noise because it's based on phasing.

KI4FRG Rating: 5/5 Feb 29, 2012 16:55 Send this review to a friend
Worth the Money  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have it a 5 because it works great on the Icom ic-725 bare bones. It is night and day and one of the best purchases I have made in the blind and have made many mistakes over the years (this was not one of them) $185-$200 is steep but not if you have an older rig with no DSP.

N5SWE Rating: 5/5 Jan 7, 2012 20:50 Send this review to a friend
Very good  Time owned: more than 12 months
Reduces static on HF very well. It is a help to noisy conditions with my IC 756 pro 2. The front controls are handy. I use headphones but needs an adaptor from stereo to monoral. The amplification is good. I had a GAP hear it that was not satisfactory. This one is a keeper.

W9GDH Rating: 5/5 Aug 12, 2010 19:55 Send this review to a friend
MOBILE  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I drive 45 Miles to work. I run a Kenwood TS-50.
It works great with the TS-50. If you have a rig without DSP try this one. I will not leave home with out it.

KN4SA Rating: 2/5 Jul 22, 2010 08:00 Send this review to a friend
SUCKS!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I don't see how this piece of JUNK gets good reviews. First of all, it is OVERPRICED. Yes, the dsp works BUT...
1.Plastic mounting bracket. Had not seen that since the cheap pyramid flea market speakers from the 80s.
2.sizzling crackling noises when squelched.
3.frying egg noise etc when transmitting on vhf around the speaker.
***ALL AROUND PIECE OF JUNK***
I've been meaning to leave this review the whole 10 months I've had it.
PLASTIC MOUNTING BRACKET and NOISE from a noise cancelling speaker!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What a laugh. Don't buy it!