Reviews Categories | Filters, Audio: (DSP and others) | West Mountain Radio ClearSpeech CLRspkr Help

Reviews Summary for West Mountain Radio ClearSpeech CLRspkr
West Mountain Radio ClearSpeech CLRspkr Reviews: 20 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $229
Description: ClearSpeech (DSP) enabled speaker with adjustable DSP and On/Off DSP and power switch.
More info: http://www.westmountainradio.com/CLRspkr.htm

You can write your own review of the West Mountain Radio ClearSpeech CLRspkr.

KN4AQ Rating: 4/5 Jun 7, 2010 17:49 Send this review to a friend
Great DSP, but a few problems  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I agree with other comments on how good the DSP is. I use it mobile with a 706MKIIG. Much better than the built-in DSP. Lower background noise with less distortion (in the Mid setting). Just about NO background noise in the high setting, but voices are kind of robotic.

But I've found two issues that need to be addressed.

First, the unit's processor generates some carriers at VHF and UHF. When scanning, my dual-band mobile stops on several VHF and UHF frequencies with "dead carriers" that go away when the speaker is turned off. It would be quite a problem if I used repeaters on those frequencies - I'm afraid the speaker would be on its way back to WMR.

Second, during a QSO, while receiving, the speaker does it's great job of reducing the noise level 15 dB or so. But when I take my turn to transmit, it "forgets" what it was doing. When I switch to receive, I often get a blast of noise for a few seconds until the DSP kicks in again. That's the way it's designed. What's missing is some memory of what it was doing last.

I haven't talked to the WMR guys about that, but I will. I hope they can fix both issues.

W4PHS Rating: 5/5 Sep 13, 2009 15:18 Send this review to a friend
Followup: no speaker noise  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is a followup to an earlier review I posted.

I have now been using my CLRspkr for about a month, and I continue to be extremely well pleased with it. I usually leave it set to the MID level which knocks out a lot of static while having virtually no harmful effect on SSB voice. Occasionally I turn off the DSP just to remind myself of what normal atmospheric noise sounds like. I've never seen a case where a signal was clearer with the DSP off than set to MID.

One early review said they had constant background noise coming from the speaker. I can say unequivocally that that the speaker produces NO noise when it's not receiving audio from the radio. Right now I am 12 inches from the speaker in a very quiet room with the radio off, and the speaker is absolutely silent. I never bother to power it off.

This is a great accessory that is well worth the money unless you have a really good rig with a very good built-in DSP.

KE5OKQ Rating: 5/5 Sep 4, 2009 15:40 Send this review to a friend
Good Value  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have a Kenwood TS-480HX I use exclusively SSB. I rarely use the radio's DSP Noise Reduction feature: It distorts the SSB audio and makes it sound like it is under water. I decided to try the Clear Speaker.

When I received the speaker I was initially disappointed. The plastic case and mounting bracket appeared cheap, especially for the $200 I paid. After using it I soon discovered I wasn't paying for aesthetics, but rather a DSP filter.

The amplified Speaker sounds pretty good itself. If I was rating the speaker alone I would give it a four. The DSP is head and shoulders above the one on my radio. It cleans up the received signal and static crashes with minimal distortion. I always keep the DSP on the LO setting. Once in awhile I have to use the MID or HI setting. The MAX setting causes distortion and chirping. despite my initial misgivings at the Clear Speaker appearence, I think it is a good investment.

NA4U Rating: 5/5 Sep 3, 2009 07:15 Send this review to a friend
Amazing on weak CW  Time owned: more than 12 months
The best audio level DSP I have ever used. Best weak CW processing I have ever used. A little slow on hetrodynes, but I expect that is the price you pay for not eating weak CW signals. I take it with me when I take my TT Scout on trips as the Scout has a 1200 tone in the audio output that the WMR CLRspkr eliminates. The speaker also works great in dramatically reducing spring and summer static crashes. I have it switchable to every rig in the shack. Simple to use and highly effective. I would buy it again.

KJ4KBC Rating: 5/5 Sep 2, 2009 18:50 Send this review to a friend
Incredible!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is the "best" item I could have ever purchased for my ts940s! The noise reduction is nothing short of amazing and because of this I am hearing hams that weren't there before. You can say good-bye to static crashes without sacrificing audio.

KJ4AUR Rating: 4/5 Aug 15, 2009 19:15 Send this review to a friend
Great for HF Mobile  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Picked one of these up at the Huntsville (AL) Hamfest from WMR, very pleased with the purchase. It's panacea for HF mobile. DSP filtering works quite well, you can hear it tuning out QRN and heterodyne. A much recommended solution for HF mobile.

Downside is the cheap plastic mounting bracket, aside from that, no complaints. I can see where the power LED may be to bright in some mounting locations but the LED can be replaced or reduced with tape.

Since it's competing with road noise I don't have the issues as indicated by WL7CLA -- thanks for the info relating to the fix.

Overall, 4 out of 5, and I would recommend this to anyone running HF mobile.

WL7CLA Rating: 3/5 Mar 21, 2009 00:54 Send this review to a friend
Audio issue fixed  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
First off I want to thank AES. They worked with me on the issue, and even swapped out the speaker unit for the CLRdsp brick.

I figured out the noise issue. The ClearSpeach DSP has a high impedance input and a fair amount of gain, the CLRspkr and CLRdsp have it *hardwired* to MAX. Of course there is hiss, the audio amp is set to peak gain. So, it is usable in a noisy environment, but low noise shacks, or headphone use is not fun. The audio noise generated rivals the audio from the radio.

In the CLRdsp unit there are obvious provisions for a standard 2k audio pot to handle volume control. But, no pot, just a 2k resistor from audio in to gnd, and a hard jumper to the amp in.

The simple fix is to remove the 2k resistor and jumper, drill a hole in the front of the case and install a 2k audio volume control pot.

I wired one in, and wow, at anything less than 90% volume on speaker, no hiss. Setting the radio to a reasonable volume (about 50%) and using headphones with the pot (linear pot BTW) at about 30%, perfect clarity and good volume, no hiss.

Since the only audio pot I had was old stereo sized, and nobody in town the correct unit (inline terminals, small, short shaft) I ended up rigging up a switch and fixes resistors. Switch down is about 90% volume, switch up reduces to 40%.

Rigged like this I can use with shack speaker switch down, and good headphones switch up. I may swap out for actual volume control pot if I remember to get one next time I make a parts order.

Now, all that being said, the DSP function is something I am happy with.

So, all in all I will go to a 3, just be aware that if you use headphones or have a very quiet shack and good ears the noise is bothersome. If WMR would add a volume control instead of hardwiring it to max I would give it a 4.5 -> 5.

W6RCW Rating: 4/5 Jan 18, 2008 08:36 Send this review to a friend
Good  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I say good because it is, but for me to give it a 5, it needs more. Following is a list I emailed West Mountain Radio.
"Following are my thoughts on my new CLRspkr."
1- needs jack on front of unit with stereo output for use with stereo headphones.
2- needs switch on front of unit to switch between speaker and headphones.
3- needs small rubber feet for mounting on top of radio.
4- needs tone control.
5- power led WAY too bright.
6- carrier notching seems too slow (about 5 seconds or more), and only notches out about 95% of carrier.
Thanks, RC w6rcw

K3DLB Rating: 5/5 Sep 10, 2007 11:16 Send this review to a friend
Works Perfect. Great Product  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just bought this product two days ago at a local hamfest and I'm glad I did. I live near power lines and needed something to help with the noise. I'm extremely pleased with the performance of the CLRspkr. It removes all the power line noise. No more hum, hiss, whistles and static.

A special thanks to John, N1OLO, at HamSource.com, for demonstrating the product to me at the hamfest. I plan to buy another one for the car.

KS4Z Rating: 5/5 Jul 1, 2007 13:12 Send this review to a friend
Great DSP/Speaker  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
As the owner of the Am-Com ClearSpeech Speaker, I was looking for another DSP enabled speaker for my shack. The West Mountain rig nicely fits the bill. In comparing the two, the Am-Com produces the same filtering at about the Mid level on the West Mountain CLRspkr. The CLRspkr has 4 levels of DSP plus a DSP Off switch. The amp is controlable with the power switch. I normally leave the filter on Hi on 20 meters SSB. The speaker appears to be the same as contained in the Am-Com unit. It is of very good quality but does not compare to the Motorola speaker (HSN4031A) used in my shack. This is the same speaker as used in police cars. I built a speaker/headphones switchbox and plugged it into the rear output jack of the CLRspkr. Using this configuration, the CLRspkr blows my JPS NIR-12 out of the water (except for the Notch Filter).