Reviews Categories | Keys & Paddles | American Morse Equip KK1 Help

Reviews Summary for American Morse Equip KK1
American Morse Equip KK1 Reviews: 19 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $$30.00
Description: Miniature straight key kit

You can write your own review of the American Morse Equip KK1.

KD8ZM Rating: 4/5 Mar 15, 2018 08:38 Send this review to a friend
Good key, but with limitations   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Great workmanship. Easy to assemble, if you watch the YouTube videos on doing so (instructions included are not so great).
Mine had a part missing. Contacted Doug and he sent it right away. Still, would be better if they had QC before sending. -1 point for that.
Biggest issue is that he has given no thought to how one would secure a cable to this nice little key. There are electrical contacts of course, but having whatever cable you use sort of twisting in the wind and bending the wires until they fall off, makes me wonder if the designer actually uses this key? It's just too essential a miss, to have missed. Was he thinking that this would be mounted to a wooden base, and that base would be used to secure the cable? If so, where are the holes in the aluminum base for securing a wooden base to this key? Lots of questions in this regard.
In sum,it's a good key that could be made great if he had some way to securely attach a cable to it. As it is, I am using hot glue to physically secure the cable. Not a very elegant solution, but it works.
KD8NJY Rating: 1/5 Jun 2, 2016 17:23 Send this review to a friend
Components don't fit  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought my KK1 at Hamvention in Dayton Saturday. I tried to put it together and found that the Hole in the Operating Lever is too small to fit the Dowel Pin through. I have sent 3 emails to Doug, 2 to the address on the paperwork and the 3rd to an address I found on line. I told him my problem, in all 3, left my email, mailing address and phone number. This Saturday, the 4th, it will have been 2 weeks and I have heard NOTHING. I am very disappointed as I had read so many good reviews about this product and company.
AC2JB Rating: 5/5 Sep 20, 2015 09:37 Send this review to a friend
High Quality key for a reasonable price  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The KK1 kit was promptly mailed in a small shipping envelope. I had no difficulties assembling the kit. It is a pleasure to use and it looks good. It takes up almost no packing space.
Price is now around $50.
I highly recommend this key for KX3 Or other QRP field use.
Jeff AC2JB
W8RBT Rating: 5/5 Jun 12, 2015 13:55 Send this review to a friend
Very Nice Straight Key & Great Company!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'm new to Morse Code. Still listening and learning. I'm only good for 7 to 10 WPM. This was my first straight key. The price is great ($49 now). The quality is outstanding. Very precise machine work. The instructions are very simple and easy to follow. I built mine with the knob at first, but then removed it. I like a very low knob. You can build it either way. Finally, Doug was very professional and responsive to emails. I was anxious to get the key, so I emailed him and he responded that he would drop the key at the Post Office on the way home. Great guy. In short, I highly recommend this key and American Morse Equipment.
K2WO Rating: 5/5 Mar 24, 2015 08:46 Send this review to a friend
What a Great Key!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just picked up a KK1 from Doug at American Morse. It took me about 30 minutes to put together and what can I say, it is one amazing little key. It is perfect for portable QRP operations and even. Top quality, great support, recommended.
AA6KI Rating: 5/5 Sep 28, 2014 14:20 Send this review to a friend
Stand-up seller too  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned my KK1 for several years, and it is still one of my favorite keys. I agree with all the excellent reviews here.

Just wanted to add that Doug Hauff stands behind his products. Recently I wanted to replace the paddle for my KK1. It was working fine, but it had developed a tiny crack -- no doubt because I had over-tightened the mounting screw. Doug sent a replacement with no questions asked.

Great product, great service.
AK4LP Rating: 5/5 Jun 19, 2012 02:55 Send this review to a friend
Very nice, small key!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
As others have said, customer service is top notch. I received this key just a few days after ordering it. It went together easily. I polished it before assembling, and that gave it a nice look.

I love the feel of this key. It is small, so I just use a single finger to key with it, but that works great for me. I thought about adding a knob, but after using it I've decided not to do that. It is a perfect match for my new HB1B xcvr.

If you are looking for a small key that doesn't feel cheap, and that can be adjusted to your tastes, I recommend you check this one out.
KD8SGE Rating: 5/5 May 30, 2012 10:46 Send this review to a friend
The best  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The key was shipped very quickly and went together easily without any difficulty whatsoever. It's a very well made, sturdy little guy and I'm certain I'll have it for many years to come. It's the only key I currently own and, frankly, it's all I need!
W3HI Rating: 5/5 Apr 26, 2012 05:25 Send this review to a friend
Very nice little key!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
The KK1 was shipped to me in record time. The kit went together quickly, and I was out the door for a QRP camping trip. The key felt good to me after a few CQs and, after fine adjustment, I never had one problem with it all weekend. I hardly ever thought about the key while operating, and I suppose that is the way it should be. When I got home, I added a small plastic appliance knob to it for use in the shack, and one day, I may either paint or polish the base of it. I usually use a Nye-Viking Master Key at home, but I find my KK-1 being used more and more as it has a very small footprint on the desk. Doug Hauff makes a very nice little key in the KK1. Kudos to American Morse!
WA6MOW Rating: 4/5 Jan 11, 2012 14:44 Send this review to a friend
Nice little key.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I added a knob as I did not like the flat plastic finger piece. This key has a nice feel and is a simple functional design. While not a bargain price wise, I still think it is a good value.