Reviews Categories | Keys & Paddles | American Morse Equip KK1 Help

Reviews Summary for American Morse Equip KK1
American Morse Equip KK1 Reviews: 18 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $$30.00
Description: Miniature straight key kit

You can write your own review of the American Morse Equip KK1.

KD8NJY Rating: 1/5 Jun 2, 2016 17:23 Send this review to a friend
Components don't fit  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought my KK1 at Hamvention in Dayton Saturday. I tried to put it together and found that the Hole in the Operating Lever is too small to fit the Dowel Pin through. I have sent 3 emails to Doug, 2 to the address on the paperwork and the 3rd to an address I found on line. I told him my problem, in all 3, left my email, mailing address and phone number. This Saturday, the 4th, it will have been 2 weeks and I have heard NOTHING. I am very disappointed as I had read so many good reviews about this product and company.

AC2JB Rating: 5/5 Sep 20, 2015 09:37 Send this review to a friend
High Quality key for a reasonable price  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The KK1 kit was promptly mailed in a small shipping envelope. I had no difficulties assembling the kit. It is a pleasure to use and it looks good. It takes up almost no packing space.
Price is now around $50.
I highly recommend this key for KX3 Or other QRP field use.
Jeff AC2JB

W8RBT Rating: 5/5 Jun 12, 2015 13:55 Send this review to a friend
Very Nice Straight Key & Great Company!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'm new to Morse Code. Still listening and learning. I'm only good for 7 to 10 WPM. This was my first straight key. The price is great ($49 now). The quality is outstanding. Very precise machine work. The instructions are very simple and easy to follow. I built mine with the knob at first, but then removed it. I like a very low knob. You can build it either way. Finally, Doug was very professional and responsive to emails. I was anxious to get the key, so I emailed him and he responded that he would drop the key at the Post Office on the way home. Great guy. In short, I highly recommend this key and American Morse Equipment.

K2WO Rating: 5/5 Mar 24, 2015 08:46 Send this review to a friend
What a Great Key!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just picked up a KK1 from Doug at American Morse. It took me about 30 minutes to put together and what can I say, it is one amazing little key. It is perfect for portable QRP operations and even. Top quality, great support, recommended.

AA6KI Rating: 5/5 Sep 28, 2014 14:20 Send this review to a friend
Stand-up seller too  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned my KK1 for several years, and it is still one of my favorite keys. I agree with all the excellent reviews here.

Just wanted to add that Doug Hauff stands behind his products. Recently I wanted to replace the paddle for my KK1. It was working fine, but it had developed a tiny crack -- no doubt because I had over-tightened the mounting screw. Doug sent a replacement with no questions asked.

Great product, great service.

AK4LP Rating: 5/5 Jun 19, 2012 02:55 Send this review to a friend
Very nice, small key!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
As others have said, customer service is top notch. I received this key just a few days after ordering it. It went together easily. I polished it before assembling, and that gave it a nice look.

I love the feel of this key. It is small, so I just use a single finger to key with it, but that works great for me. I thought about adding a knob, but after using it I've decided not to do that. It is a perfect match for my new HB1B xcvr.

If you are looking for a small key that doesn't feel cheap, and that can be adjusted to your tastes, I recommend you check this one out.

KD8SGE Rating: 5/5 May 30, 2012 10:46 Send this review to a friend
The best  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The key was shipped very quickly and went together easily without any difficulty whatsoever. It's a very well made, sturdy little guy and I'm certain I'll have it for many years to come. It's the only key I currently own and, frankly, it's all I need!

W3HI Rating: 5/5 Apr 26, 2012 05:25 Send this review to a friend
Very nice little key!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
The KK1 was shipped to me in record time. The kit went together quickly, and I was out the door for a QRP camping trip. The key felt good to me after a few CQs and, after fine adjustment, I never had one problem with it all weekend. I hardly ever thought about the key while operating, and I suppose that is the way it should be. When I got home, I added a small plastic appliance knob to it for use in the shack, and one day, I may either paint or polish the base of it. I usually use a Nye-Viking Master Key at home, but I find my KK-1 being used more and more as it has a very small footprint on the desk. Doug Hauff makes a very nice little key in the KK1. Kudos to American Morse!

WA6MOW Rating: 4/5 Jan 11, 2012 14:44 Send this review to a friend
Nice little key.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I added a knob as I did not like the flat plastic finger piece. This key has a nice feel and is a simple functional design. While not a bargain price wise, I still think it is a good value.

KC1JB Rating: 5/5 Mar 17, 2010 14:37 Send this review to a friend
Take two! They're small!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I put the KK-1 to what I consider to be the ultimate user test of a straight key: The Straight Key Century Club's monthly weekend sprint.

I tend to put 14 to 16 hours in on these events. After using a full-size key for virtually all my weekend-sprint QSOs in the past, I was curious to see how long I would last with a mini-key.

The KK-1 was a pleasure to use (and I have hands that require extra-large gloves). It took a couple of QSOs to get used to the feel of the key. But once I passed that point, I was off to the races. No fatigue whatsoever.

I use what I hear is a European approach to straight-key work, with the key near the edge of the table and the keying action coming largely from my forearm.

I should add that I picked up a Jardillier mini-key at a hamfest last fall. These were used by French commandos, among others. The KK-1 outperformed it on the desktop. Sometime I'll try the leg-strap test. ;-)

As I said, no fatigue; and the key never traveled on me, despite its small footprint and because the entire key arm and finger pad remain positioned over the base. Nicely done!

One update: the MSRP is now $40.