Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - 6M/VHF/UHF+ | RF Concepts 2-417 170Watt 2 Meter Linear Amp Help

Reviews Summary for RF Concepts 2-417 170Watt 2 Meter Linear Amp
RF Concepts 2-417 170Watt 2 Meter Linear Amp Reviews: 5 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $499.00
Description: Replaced by newer models, see website.
More info: http://www.alpha-amps.com/rfconcepts/index.html

You can write your own review of the RF Concepts 2-417 170Watt 2 Meter Linear Amp.

KK4YPK Rating: 5/5 Feb 21, 2016 21:50 Send this review to a friend
RF Concepts 2-417 170Watt 2 Meter Linear Amp 'great'  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I work this amp and it does what it says and then some...25 watts in on 2 meters and i'm getting 175 out of it. i'm not complaining a bit cause it does it's job. I'm a net control operator in leeds alabama so a i qso a lot and call nets and it hasn't missed a beat.
kk4ypk.com

N5GPI Rating: 5/5 Dec 5, 2011 19:49 Send this review to a friend
Great amp!!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I worked satellite and 2m sideband quite a bit back in the late 90s and had nearly every 12v 100+ watt amp out there. This to me is by far the best amp in this power range I've ever owned. Great quality as many others have mentioned. Looks like the price on these things went up like an ounce of gold since I bought mine. Very good for low drive use but really does produce near or above 200W without exceeding the max input specs. GaAsFET preamp performance is as good as it gets for integrated preamp (not up on the mast).

W2WRX Rating: 5/5 Jul 27, 2008 23:50 Send this review to a friend
Great Amplifier !!!!!!!!!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Got this amp used and this is an amplifier that will keep on going,I've used it on SSB and FM and it is one heck of a equipment that is needed in the radio shack,on Field Day or a mobile.I've used this with my Kenwood TS-700S all mode band 2 meter radio,that only puts out about 10 watts out,where I live in the central vally,I have to contend with 2 large mountains in my path to reach the Bay Area region,thats roughly around 80 miles to San Mateo repeaters there with a 4 element beam,I have a KLM 14 element,but it is down for maintenance.I'll be adding 2 more M2 9 elements with the cable harness's and a power divider on the SSB and use the 14 element on vertical for FM. I'm very happy to hit and receive the repeaters at that range,including the 3500' mountains of Mt Oso and the Hayward hills that is in front of my station.The GaAsFet preamp at 18 db gain is a plus,since some long distance operators are hard to hear at times of the day and a plus for satellite FM birds when used in that mode.The maximum output is 50 watts,that should give a 195-200 watts out,and the amp does get warm,but not hot to the touch for long periods of use.There is a "SSB delay" pot on the left side of the amp,to adjust when using SSB for the relay to stay on longer or shorter,depends on your mic or voice actions of pauses when speaking through the mic.Also an External Keying RCA phono female plug, to allow for a positive or negative(ground) keying.Mine has the Internal Remote Control Jack for use with a Kantronics TNC for packet,some of them can be applied to their units as well,but was an optional for the user.The 4 pin Jones is nice and built strong enough for removal if needed for transportation on the go.Takes a 35 amp fuse,but mine has a 20 amp and has never blown off under heavy usage from long periods of contesting.Some have added a fan for those hots 105' degrees days in the field,it's just to make me feel better,I have not so far had any problems with this great amplifier and I know for a fact that it a superior amp than the other brand makers,yes I would like to see the RF Concepts selling this again,their well made amps,to the amateur operators and a 6 meter version as well,but will be looking for another one for my other FM radio as the SSB radio is always running the DXing and having fun and not worrying about the unit dying.Oh,it does also have a SWR protection detector when the unit is over a 3:1 or greater match and the amp will shut down,the amplifier has a special circuit that senses return power(SWR) from the antenna,If the return power exceeds 30 watts,the amp automatically shuts OFF,to reset the amplifier,turn the power switch off for 5 seconds ,then turn it ON.Could be a bad coax cable,or the antenna being out of adjustment.Anyway,hope this helps other operators looking for a excellent amplifier for 2 meters.......73's

WB7OTU Rating: 5/5 Apr 13, 2002 23:35 Send this review to a friend
works great  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
bought at estate sale for $40, no cables, no paper work, power cable, i cheated a bit, made one up, it has worked great. my mirage had just died, and we use the radio on simplex for health and welfare checks, this 170 watt unit is much better than the mirage 160 watt, we are all very happy, i will buy another if i can find one at a good price.

N1FCJ Rating: 5/5 Apr 10, 2000 19:59 Send this review to a friend
Workhorse amp with plenty of power!  Time owned: unknown months
This is a great amp. I used this amp for several years mobile before retiring it to the shack for a few years of packet use. This amp has had a lot of use and never has given me a bit of trouble. It is rated at 170W out with 45 in but it puts out about 195 Watts with 45 in. Also gives over 100W out with 5W in from an HT! Runs warm (not hot) but since I had it under the seat, I added a small fan just in case. The extra 6dB really makes the difference when you're in the fringe and the GaSFET preamp works very well. If you can find one used, I highly recommend it. It is not currently in use but when I install another rig in the car it will go back in for sure!