Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | Radiowavz G5RV Jr. Help

Reviews Summary for Radiowavz G5RV Jr.
Radiowavz G5RV Jr. Reviews: 23 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $25
Description: 10-80m Wire Antenna.
More info: http://www.radiowavz.com

You can write your own review of the Radiowavz G5RV Jr..

K8WTF Rating: 4/5 Nov 8, 2013 16:28 Send this review to a friend
Pretty good little antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I met some of the proprietors of Radio Wavz a few years ago at Dayton. They were a very friendly bunch and suggested the G5RV Jr for my small lot.

Configuration: Performance: I have mine up roughly 28' in the air - best I can do on my small lot. The ladder line is supposed to go straight down, but again, not possible in my configuration. The ladder line instead comes down at about 70-80 degrees to the antenna, and I have about 8-12' of the ladder line somewhat looped. I did remove the SO-239 connector and put a 1:1 current balun to act as an RF choke. I feel that this has improved performance, but I can't substantiate that with any hard evidence.

Durability: I've had it in the air as my sole HF antenna for about 2 years now in northeast Ohio. It has survived strong winds, rain, ice, everything the snow belt can throw at it. I did take it down briefly a few weeks ago to inspect. The insulation is a little rough in a few spots, but the ladder line, coils, and insulators are all in great shape. It will last many more years I'm sure.

Performance: This antenna is a great performer for me on 20 meters. It definitely seems to be the sweet spot, at least in my less-than-optimum configuration. In fact, I get a less than 2:1 SWR if I bypass my tuner. I've also had very good luck on 15 and 10 meters when those bands have been open. It is a little tough to get tuned on the higher bands, but I can get a nearly flat SWR without much trouble. 40 meters tunes but does not perform very well for me. Although not recommended, I have used this antenna on 80 meters and made a number of stateside contacts.

Overall: If you are on a small lot, this is a great choice for an antenna - particularly at this price.

NZ5L Rating: 5/5 Aug 14, 2013 17:57 Send this review to a friend
Versatile  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
If you are able to get one end of this up to 40' it can be deployed as a sloper, with fairly good omnidirectional performance. It runs neck and neck with my full size G5 at 30' on 40 and 20, but due its lower angle of radiation occasionally hears DX that the lower inv vee misses. On 17 and above, the full size G5 is a clear winner, because it is high enough to have a low angle of radiation. However, the long one has some marked lobes, and any antenna that exhibits gain also exhibits nulls. Thus, it is nice to have the option of switching to a more omnidirectional pattern antenna. The SWR on 40 and 20 is 2:1 or less, and 3:1 on most others - very usable with an ordinary tuner. It even tunes on 80 (175' of coax, untuned SWR 7:1) and makes a good "bird dog" antenna on that band, although here the full size G5 comes into its own.
Build quality is very good, should be trouble free if all coax connections are weatherproofed.
For limited space yards, this would be hard to beat, and for any antenna farm can add some good capabilities at a reasonable price.

DV1ZZ Rating: 5/5 Apr 30, 2013 00:05 Send this review to a friend
Would buy again in a heartbeat  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After getting tired of my homebrew flat-top 40m dipole which gave me so-so performance on both 40 and 15 meters, I decided to jump into the G5RV bandwagon. I don't have the real estate as I'm located in a crowded city in Manila so the Jr. version seemed to be the logical choice.

So I went to the roof and installed a pulley on my 20ft 3/4" steel pipe, winched it up (30ft total) and put the sides on an approximately 90 degree angle. The feed line was running down the length of the steel pipe along with the RG8 coax.

IT WAS HORRIBLE! I couldn't hear anything and it performed worse than my homebrew dipole. I must have done something wrong.

I failed to notice that the G5RV must be fanned out to an angle of more than 120 degrees and that the 300 ohm feedline is also radiating RF. I fixed the ends and pulled it way up to around 120 degrees, attached some rope to the coax to pull the feedline to the side (around 45 degrees vertically) and that is when the antenna started to shine.

In just the first week alone I have 1:1 SWR on 40, 20 and 15 through an MFJ-949E. Running barefoot on SSB on a Kenwood TS-570D, I was able to work Poland, Italy, Russia, Finland and South Africa with good signal reports. My prized contact of all, the continental US (8000mi) using only 5W on 20m using voice!

Aside from getting one on the air quick, I think the G5RV Jr. is one the best bang for the buck antennas there is. I would gladly purchase a second one for portable or emergency use even though the price here in the Philippines is a bit high ($72) due to shipping costs.

I would have to agree with one of the reviews where he explained that the choice of the plastic insulators over the dog bone type ones were thought of well and not just for them to save money.

So buy it and get to work DX stations for next to nothing! Radiowavz sure has come up with a winner!

N5SA Rating: 5/5 Feb 19, 2012 20:42 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna for Price  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have had this antenna for 3 months and it is the first antenna and the only antenna I have for my TS-140S. I am running it into an AT-230 Tuner and it will tune 1:1 - 2:1 on 80m through 10 meters except 15 meters. Can not get SWR to tune less than 5:1 on 15 meters. However it will get 1:5 on the upper phone portion of 80 meters and it is not advertised to work on 80. I have worked 24 countries in 2 weeks with great signal reports with the best being 4,865 miles to belgium with a 57 report. No complaints with the antenna at all. Only use 100 watts and configured as an inverted "V" with the center 28'. Overall great antenna for price

WB6BIL Rating: 5/5 Nov 24, 2011 17:31 Send this review to a friend
WB6BIL  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought the jr. to use as a protable. It is up about 20 foot at the center. The center and legs are attach to Ponderosa pines in N Arizona. The legs are up at 15 foot. The 20 meter band is setting at around 2:1. The other bands are 1:1 to 1:1.5. The first day up worked a station in Russia on 15 meters and NJ on 17 meters. For the size and price from HRO it makes a great back up antenna. It has been up less then a week and have good reports. It beats not getting on the air.

KB1TCD Rating: 4/5 Nov 3, 2011 21:12 Send this review to a friend
great for the price  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Picked one up at HRO in NH last summer, we just happened to be in the neighbourhood, it was on special at USD$25 and couldn't pass it up.
Set it up in the front yard at about 20ft up in the air so I could operate portable from the back deck, results were not that great.
Last week we had some trees downed including one of the trees the antenna was attached to, so I asked the boys if they minded stringing it up. Not a problem, in fact they also went to the other tree and raised it as well. Antenna now up closer to 50ft up, incredible improvement, QSO'd with Belgium on 20m and Italy on 15m using a Kenwood TS-120, THP HC200AT tuner and 100 ft of coax with 5 9 reports, also QSO'd with RI on 40m fine.
I do lower the antenna when not in use for prolonged life as it has become detached from the insulator twice during heavy winds, lowering it seems to have solved that problem, takes about 5 minutes to raise it back to 50ft again.

73 from Mid Coast Maine de KB1TCD

WI0H Rating: 4/5 Sep 12, 2011 09:19 Send this review to a friend
No complaints here  Time owned: more than 12 months
I got one of these for my first HF station back in 2008. I didn't have a lot of room for antennas, so I set it up on my roof in an inverted V config. Say what you will about this design, but it worked for me on everything from 10 through 40. I did manage to make a few contacts on 80 with it, but it radiates as well as a wet noodle on 80 so I wouldn't recommend it. You will also need an external antenna tuner as it may give your internal unit some issues. I know it gave the internal tuner in my IC-746 fits on 40 and 20. It would hold the tune for a while and then lose it, usually in the middle of a QSO. I switched to an external tuner and never had that problem again.

I can't really comment on build quality other than to say mine stayed up on my roof through three years worth of wind, rain, and snow with no issues. YMMV, but I have no complaints. It certainly outlasted my buddy's roof top vertical, and he paid ten times more than I did.

If you have the room to set up a longer, more efficient antenna, do so. But if you have limited space and an external antenna tuner, this antenna is well worth your consideration.

KJ4VTH Rating: 4/5 Jan 15, 2011 09:33 Send this review to a friend
Good antenna but  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
the price is higher these days and the quality is not top-notch.

You must have an antenna tuner, even says so on the bag. SWR is quite high but a good tuner can get a decent match on most bands.

52 wire, 15 high, it does a respectable job on 10-40m; poor job on 80m (they do not advertise use on that band). I have made SSB contacts thousands of miles using 50-100w and digital contacts tens of thousands of miles using 10-30w.

I would give it a 5 except for the price hike and materials construction that is just OK. Hopefully it will hold up over time but suspect I will be replacing it in a couple years due to exposure to the elements.

W5LXG Rating: 3/5 Dec 18, 2010 11:10 Send this review to a friend
No thanks  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Mixed comments. A problem ordering direct so I'd recommend buying from a stocking distributor such as HRO.
On the positive side, the quality of the few components is excellent given the low cost. Plus the workmanship works great.
My installation was not textbook. It was necessary to slope the antenna from 50' down to 20' in an approx. slope of 50-60 degrees. That might be the cause of SKY HIGH SWR on ALL bands 40-6. My Kenwood TS-480 would accomplish a match of sorts from 20 to 6, but needed an external, wide range tuner to tame 30 and 40. To my surprise, I was unable to obtain QSOs on those 2 bands in 2 or 3 evenings of trying. I tried 3 different homebrew coaxial HF chokes at the feed point to no avail. Gave up and erected a Radio Works Carolina Windom 40. What a wonderful difference. Maybe if the antenna was installed as normal flat top, it might have earned a 5, but 3 is best I can honestly access.

YV5IAL Rating: 4/5 Nov 2, 2010 20:11 Send this review to a friend
La mejor relacion precio / eficiencia en una antena multibanda  Time owned: more than 12 months
Si bien la antena G5RV jr es una antena de compromiso. Para mi es la antena multibanda de mejor desempeno para su costo.

La antena puede sintonizarse perfectamente con el Antenna Tuner interno del radio en las bandas de 40, 20, 17, 10 y 6 metros. En estas bandas he logrado DX fantasticos !!!

Con una antenna tuner de banda ancha es posible sintonizar tambien las bandas de 30, 15 y 12 metros (tambien 80 metros, pero esto seria algo extremo para lo cual la antena no fue disenada).

Sin embargo, la antena no propaga correctamente la senal de radio (ni siquiera con un antenna tuner de banda ancha) en las bandas de 30, 15 y 12 metros.

La recomiendo ampliamente !!!. SObre todo, para aquellos colegas que vivan en sitios donde se prohiben las antenas ...