Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Verticals and Wire | Radiowavz G5RV Jr. Help

Reviews Summary for Radiowavz G5RV Jr.
Radiowavz G5RV Jr. Reviews: 23 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $25
Description: 10-80m Wire Antenna.
More info: http://www.radiowavz.com

You can write your own review of the Radiowavz G5RV Jr..

EI4GMB Rating: 5/5 Sep 10, 2010 16:57 Send this review to a friend
DXCC with G5RV Jr !!!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
The G5RV Jr. (51ft)(10m,20m,40m) was the first antenna I purchased as a Radio Amateur. I installed it horizontally (flat-top), 30-35 ft above the ground and slopoing northwards in an east-west configuration.
At sunspot minimum and using just 100w, I reached DXCC with contacts on 5 out of 6 continents !!!
It is a truly remarkable antenna. I have since bought a Carolina Windom at 5 times the price and in many instances the G5RV Jr is better, so much so that I find myself constantly switching back to it !!! It is indeed a superb limited space antenna and even outperformed a vertical that I eventually took down.
If you buy this antenna you will not be disappointed. It will definitely exceed your expectations !!!

KG4YMC Rating: 5/5 Sep 10, 2010 11:32 Send this review to a friend
g5rv 102version  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used the 102 version . It tunes up great on 15 and 40 and will tune on six , but for six did better with three element or better ant. Mine has been hit by tree branches and a support string or two have broken and the down wire replaced when a tree branch fell on it , not the fault of anteena and it keeps on working great,Had checked into the pacific maritime net and was told I had strongest single to station in wa. state with ten watts and ncg tribander radio I have. worked spain japan, argentina, europe , rotundra is. alaska and hawaii. ect with it , tunes up great on 15 and s40 . I have room to try 204 version . have mine mounted not very high 25 30 feet , kinna lazy flattop , I kid when the clouds are ovehead just right , might get good for around 35 not bad deal and will tune with mf mobile tuner ( excuse me transmatch ) kg4ymc

KJ4EOZ Rating: 5/5 Sep 10, 2010 05:29 Send this review to a friend
aways work great  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have two of the g5rv.jr
works great on 40 - 6 meters
Just moved to front Royal , va
put one up at 50 feet running a FT-950 at 100 watts .
from june tell now and worked 33 countries
40 and 20 have worked 43 states .
works 10 and 6 very well .
for $28.00 cant beat it .
tunes up with the tuner in my FT-950

W0GLB Rating: 5/5 Jun 3, 2010 14:31 Send this review to a friend
A bargain for sure  Time owned: more than 12 months
5/5 based on cost vs. performance. I don't have a junkbox of antenna fixin's, so this cost less to buy than I would have spent to homebrew, and is build tough. Performs well on 40, 20, and 15, but can't get it to tune on 10m. Wasn't made to work on 80, and doesn't. Can I do better? Sure I can, but for economy and being ready to raise and radiate, this gets a gold star.

KF6KDA Rating: 4/5 May 13, 2010 00:38 Send this review to a friend
2 year review  Time owned: more than 12 months
Here is a 2 yr update on this antenna.

Yes, it's still up. Yes, it still works.

I now have it at 30 feet in a vee and the ends about 15 feet. It is fed with 75 feet of RG8X. This is a bad thing, but coax length does matter getting it tuned. This almost made me cut off the coax connector and just run 300ohm to the shack. I haven't done that yet. My TS2000 tuner still loves it on all bands save 30m. Still HATES 30m.

I use a Jacktite windsock pole as the center support. It's broadside east/west. It has endured some 40 mph winds and has fallen once due to a failed strap I was using to anchor it to the fence. No damage, loose connections or faults so far.

My on air experience with it:
40m: Marginal performance. DX can be a struggle, but it can be done. I have worked Africa, S.America, VK/ZL and east to YB9 and beyond.
20m: Average performance here. Used mostly on 20m. EU, Africa, S.Am, the Pacific and east to JA and DS.
17m: Average performance here. Contacts are easy when the band is open.
15m: TERRIBLE!!! Deaf and very poor radiator here.
Major struggle to work anything. A 40m dipole at 15 feet blows this antenna away on 15m. Not even a contest.
10 and 12m: Works well. Has some lobes here. Not good for the local ragchew on 10m, but contacts on this band have been easy when its open.
6m: Kinda works ok. Lobes here. Some directions work quite well. Other directions, you'll hear nothing while the other locals work them.

Overall, it's not the best antenna in the world. Even at this length, there are some mono band solutions at the same height that will do much better. I've had fun with this antenna. I've also cussed it out to no end!!! I guess what it comes down to, I've worked 65 confirmed DXCC in just over 2 yrs. It does work if you don't expect to compete with the guy down the street with the yagi and the tower.

WW3K Rating: 5/5 Jan 8, 2010 14:30 Send this review to a friend
Surprisingly Effective  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Santa Claus just brought me one of these (via AES in Milwaukee, WI for $28.99 for Christmas 2009) & I threw it up in place of a 20M dipole.

It is about 51 feet long and has approx 14-16' 300 ohm ladderline transformer section with a convenient SO239 termination for your PL259 coax connection.

It's short, lightweight, unobtrusive and gave me the following resonances (fed with approx 100' of 50 ohm coax):

FREQUENCY SWR IMPEDANCE
3.605 2.9:1 111 ohms
7.641 2.5:1 40 ohms
16.01 3:1 69 ohms
29.5 2.9:1 81 ohms
42 - 59.985 MHZ 1:1 match into 50 ohms

HF transceiver's autotuners will love this thing on all bands 6-40 meters. Should match well. Auto tuner in IC-746 PRO & MFJ-993 IntelliTuner even tunes it for the entire 75-80 meter band. Forget about 160, unless you feed it as a Marconi Tee.

Looks to provide GAIN on the 6, 10 and 12 Meter Bands! (similar to what a full size G5RV would provide for the 20 meter band).

I think it makes a very effective compromise antenna for space limited individuals, and you can't beat the price (even if you built it yourself.)

I would highly recommend installing this antenna as a FLAT TOP dipole, or a sloping dipole, or even as a vertical dipole. I would advise against inverted vee configuration because of the matching line impedances. Also, I would recommend at LEAST 20-25' above ground; the higher the better & in the clear.

CAVEAT: This is a harmonic antenna and really DOES EFFECTIVELY RADIATE HARMONICS. So, be prepared to get into telephones, HDTV, etc., even out of the 300 ohm transformer (which DOES radiate), so mount accordingly. I'm not sure I'm gonna be operating QRO with this thing, but I certainly will be using it for SWL, & bird-dogging.

SUMMARY: If I could only have 1 (one) HF 'DO-IT-ALL' Antenna, it would be a Double (204' long) G5RV. If I didn't have the room to mount that as a flat top in the clear (which I don't), I'd use a regular (102') G5RV. If I couldn't fit that (which I can't as a flat top), I'd get this HALF G5RV.

I am completely satisfied, and do indeed HIGHLY recommend this highly effective multibander.

73, Dom
WW3K

KI6TXC Rating: 4/5 Jan 20, 2009 10:40 Send this review to a friend
Best Bang for the Buck  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am pleased with my configurations at 28 foot in the inverted "V" configuration. I have a IC-7000 @ 100W and have made contacts in Japan, Hawaii and coast to coast from San Diego to Florida.

ERIC Rating: 5/5 Jun 30, 2008 13:44 Send this review to a friend
Tripple the contacts!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Field day last year I used a home made dipole cut for 10m. Field Day this year I used a brand new G5RV Jr. I made tripple the contacts on 10m this year compared to last year. SWR on 10m was 1.8 as measured with my MFJ-259B. I am very happy with my new antenna.

KI6HNB
Eric.

WD8LIC Rating: 3/5 Feb 1, 2008 13:25 Send this review to a friend
B+  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have been using this antenna in an attic over the garage for about 6 months. SWR is "OK". Nothing to brag about. I use a tuner to flatten out swr and no problems there. Can work about anyone I can hear, but it seems to be a bit hard of hearing.

Seems to work a lot better on the higher frequencies. As a matter of fact, I use an Isotron for 80/40, and contrary to just about everyone else's reviews, works just fine.

W4GPL Rating: 5/5 Nov 11, 2007 15:27 Send this review to a friend
Don't tell me you need to spend hundreds of dollars to work DX.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I'm fairly new to HF, despite having been involved in ham radio for 13 years. When I first got my HF rig, I purchased a very expensive vertical. I was disappointed, I could only make PSK31 contacts and no DX.

George at AES encouraged me to get a G5RV Jr, as I am restricted by space and a Home Owners Association. After much skepticism, I spend the $30 and brought it home. I have the G5RV Jr mounted on a TV mast up about 24ft in an inverted V configuration. I plugged it into my Kenwood TS480SAT with the LDG AT200 Autotuner and WOW! Mad DX!

When I first got it, I could only tune 6M - 40M, but when I changed the coax length from 50ft to 100ft, I am able to tune 6M - 80M, including 60M with flat SWRs. Also when I increased the coax length, the reception seemed to improve.

I would recommend this antenna to anyone! It's a great way to go, especially if you're new to HF. You'll be amazed with what you can do with a wire outside your window.

Buy this antenna!