Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Yaesu VX-3R Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu VX-3R
Yaesu VX-3R Reviews: 142 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $199
Description: A micro-sized dual band entry from vertex/standard...With 1.5 watts output on 2 meters, and 1 watt on 440... With 13.8 vdc power jumps to 3 watts on 144, and 2 on 440...Has wide band rx, and NEW ferrite bar antenna for AM broadcasts... 1000 ma/1 amp lithium -ion battery

You can write your own review of the Yaesu VX-3R.

KJ6FXA Rating: 5/5 Aug 29, 2015 21:54 Send this review to a friend
Great little handheld  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought this radio on a whim (got a little bonus from work). I am a Yaesu man...I own the 897D, 8900 and the FT-60. I work on the road as a field supervisor for my company in a major metro area (SD,CA) and as such I carry a small bag with all my needs. I bought a Boefeng UV-3R to carry in my bag. It worked okay just wasn't a Yaesu. This radio performed quite well, I had a Diamond SRH77CA antenna on my fit right on this radio and made a nice radio into a great radio. And the BC band makes it even nicer as I can't always have a radio in the vehicle I drive. All in all...a great investment on my part.
K3BH Rating: 5/5 Jul 20, 2015 17:30 Send this review to a friend
Great little radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned this radio for a number of years and it continues to satisfy me. It's one of a stable of a half-dozen or so HTs, so doesn't get used as often as it would otherwise. The DC-daylight aspect is particularly nice as well as 1000 channels of memory storage. I mostly use it for monitoring public safety, marine, and railroad channels. My only complaint is that the power on/off switch has gotten balky and needs to be pressed "just so" to turn the radio on and off. It's reliable in that respect, just need to get the magic touch. It might be worth buying another one rather than getting this one fixed. Batteries are cheap and I did the AA case modification to use the "fat" NP-120 batteries for many long hours of use per charge. The price today, $139, makes this radio a real bargain.
KI6BAX Rating: 5/5 Jul 3, 2015 10:18 Send this review to a friend
Handy little radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I owned this radio several years ago but sold it. I found that I missed having it and purchased another one recently. I'm glad to have it back. I still had the little whip antennae I used to use and I'm back in business. I keep it in my pack in the local mountains (theres an antenna farm at the top so reception isn't typically a problem). I bought the software this time around which made it MUCH easier to get my favorite frequencies back into the radio. The price has also dropped about $40 since I bought my original one.
VE7DGM Rating: 2/5 Feb 19, 2015 07:53 Send this review to a friend
No longevity  Time owned: more than 12 months
My unit was great for several years, unfortunately it is now dead. Still receives but no transmit. Was a good HT but it has to last longer then 2years.
This unit was treated very well, never dropped, kept dry and kept warm in the extreme cold of the North.
Can't believe it didn't last longer, very disappointed.
M0GNA Rating: 5/5 Jan 7, 2015 07:31 Send this review to a friend
Mighty Atom  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Its hard to believe the size when you first unpack it.You could be forgiven for thinking it being a toy.A toy it is not,its a brilliant little radio packed with features and built to last,no radio hams shirt pocket should be without one,its truly amazing what this matchbox can do.The only thing that some might think lets it down is the rubber duck antenna,it works well enough but something with a bit more clout might improve things on transmit.All in all its a little gem and I love it.
KK4MHI Rating: 5/5 Sep 15, 2014 18:28 Send this review to a friend
Awesome little radio!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got this just last week and used it all weekend on the yearly MS Bike Ride event here in the Kansas City Metro area. I was able to hit all the designated repeaters for the event using this radio and a Comet SMJ-24 whip antenna. Yes, the supplied antenna is weak, just short of a dummy load but when combined with a better HT antenna this thing really shines. The batteries for it are the common NP60 kind found in a lot of digital cameras and easily available off-the-rack at any Batteries Plus store for around $30. You can even get the charger there. I picked up a spare battery and used it this weekend as well with no problems. I also have the AA-battery pack for it for emergencies when I cannot get my two batteries recharged. I turned the radio on in Lawrence, Kansas at 0630 with voltage displaying at 4.1v (full charge) and kept it on all day until 3pm. When I checked the voltage again it was at 3.8v. And that was only transmitting a few times during the day but it was a really busy event net (over 80 hams) so it was pretty much perfect. It rode in the front pocket of my mesh motorcycle jacket and I could just leave it there and listen to the net while off the bike. On the bike I use an Icom 880h @ 15w and even then it didn't really mess with the little Yaesu in my pocket. I'm picking up another one of these for my possibles bag. The audio coming out of the speaker is really good even if it isn't as loud as my backup el cheapo Baofeng UV5-series. At least it's clearer audio than the Baofeng and not as tinny.
"Stand back everyone, I'm about to crank up the mighty 1.5 watts on my massive HT!" as I pulled it out of my jacket pocket usually drew laughs but I hit the repeaters every time.
If you're an urbanite with lots of repeaters around you then this is a perfect radio for you. If you work a lot of events in wide-open spaces then this radio is pretty good as well. I've even programmed in the local air freqs in it and put them in a separate memory bank so when I get bored I can listen to ATC traffic from KCI and local airports. I also use it to listen to the weather radio freqs, and sometimes local FM radio when I'm working on-site on a long IT job. It's like my Kenwood TH6A's little, more-pocketable brother.
AE9C Rating: 5/5 Sep 6, 2014 12:17 Send this review to a friend
Sweet ! AE9C  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Got mine last week, NO regrets, fantastic tiny radio! NICE JOB Yaesu !!
AB0SF Rating: 5/5 Jul 19, 2014 00:10 Send this review to a friend
Great, little receiver that transmits, too!  Time owned: more than 12 months
My second one of these radios just arrived today. I lost the first one, either in a recent move, or while I was traveling for work. Nevertheless, I missed having this little radio enough to buy another one.

I've been genuinely disappointed in Yaesu's HT product line for quite some time, but the VX-2 (which I owned for several years), and the VX-3 have given me some hope with the brand.

The VX-3's AM/FM receive is quite good, and it's reasonably sensitive on most V/UHF bands of interest. It has come in handy for troubleshooting basic, low speed RF data issues (ie, is the data packet being sent by the remote terminal too quickly? It's also selective enough for very rudimentary frequency checks.), and general RF sniffing.

The radio did require a review of the operator's manual to remember how to program it, but with so many features and so few buttons, I believe that is understandable. I partially agree with a previous review regarding the radio's power on-off being a pain, but power button on the new radio I have seems to be easier-going than the one I purchased 4 years ago. Perhaps I'm used to it? I don't know.

I purchased a used Alinco DJ-580 a while back out of nostalgia (the first dual band HT I owned), and pressed it into similar service after I lost the first VX-3(Minus general coverage HF and BC bands RX, of course). I was quickly reminded how quickly time marches on. The 20 year-old 580 is more than twice as big and has half the features of the little, Yaesu radio. The VX-3 puts out a full 1W of RF with a 4 Volt battery, while the 580 can only transmit exciter-level (+20 dBm) levels with a stock 7.2 V battery (and heaven forbid you lunch the final modules on this radio. They're getting tougher to find as we speak.).

Battery life with the factory Lithium Ion battery is fantastic, and for those of you who have played with handhelds for a couple decades or more, a second battery is nice, but is not really needed. I don't know about you, but I'd rather have those big, old, detachable batteries as paper weights, rather than relying on them to run my handheld radio for just a few hours, if that.

All in all, the VX-3 is a great product for those of us who tend to listen a bit more than transmit, and who also like to venture outside of the ham bands from time to time. Thank you Yaesu, for making such an enjoyable product.
KB1OBG Rating: 5/5 Jun 10, 2014 18:29 Send this review to a friend
Updated review  Time owned: more than 12 months
I owned this radio a couple of years ago and regrettably sold it. I missed it so much, I just ordered a new one. It's simply a superb radio for what it is. I'm glad to have it back with me :)
K6XR Rating: 4/5 Apr 30, 2014 07:44 Send this review to a friend
side buttons not durable  Time owned: more than 12 months
works well but is the devil to turn on and off. the button is very hard to find a sweet spot to function.