Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | MFJ-925 Super Compact Intellituner Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-925 Super Compact Intellituner
MFJ-925 Super Compact Intellituner Reviews: 13 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $179.95
Description: The MFJ-925 has been designed for today's compact home, portable or mobile ham stations. At just 6-1/2Wx2-1/8Hx8-1/4D inches, the MFJ-925 IntelliTunerTM specifically complements today's compact HF transceivers, such as the IC-706MKIIG, IC-7000, FT- 857D, DX-70TH and TS-50S. It can also be used as a stand-alone automatic antenna tuner for any transceiver that has an output power of 2-200 watts SSB/CW from 1.8-30 MHz with antenna impedances from 6-1600 ohms. With more than 10,000 non-volatile VirtualAntennaTM Memories, and MFJ's exclusive InstantRecallTM, IntelliTuneTM and AdaptiveSearchTM algorithms, the MFJ-925 gives you fast automatic tuning of unbalanced or single-wire antennas. Use an optional MFJ-911H, $29.95, 1:1/4:1 external balun for balanced feedlines.
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com

You can write your own review of the MFJ-925 Super Compact Intellituner.

PA0RCL Rating: 4/5 Jan 15, 2016 10:06 Send this review to a friend
Shake well before use  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Since I was content with my first MFJ-925 (see review below) I ordered a second one. Before even opening the box I heard a distinct rattling sound of what seemed loose components inside the tuner. After opening the housing I found a detached screw and an O-ring. Had I not shaken the tuner before use (as I now recommend for most MFJ-products) these loose parts could easily have caused a short in the tuner and damage it. Again, the PCB was OK (it is probably not manufactured in the USA) and the tuner now works fine. The box itself is still as sloppy as before.
I still, though, give it a 4, but reluctantly because of poor MFJ workmanship and final inspection. I wonder how MFJ still manages to get away with this.

LB6BG Rating: 5/5 May 10, 2015 23:27 Send this review to a friend
Works well  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been using the MFJ-925 for years in the summer on our balcony (sitting below a roof) and is has been tuning about everything from verticals to longwires and short symmetrical dipoles (with a 4:1 balun right behind the tuner). My transceiver is the old type FT-450. Have never had any problems. What more could I want?

KY4TS Rating: 4/5 May 23, 2014 12:44 Send this review to a friend
Works fine for me  Time owned: more than 12 months
I must have gotten lucky, because my 925 didn't exhibit any of the QC problems others have mentioned. Don't get me wrong, I've had a number of MFJ items that have. However this little tuner has been a real performer. Even when I had it mounted outside in a NEMA box at the base of my inverted L, it still worked. Until it got really hot, then it stopped working. But as soon as the sun would drop and things cooled down, she'd come back to life and keep on tuning. I'm planning on using it at the base of a 43' vertical this field day, better ventilated of course, for 10-160m operation. We'll see how that works out. The power injector worked very well and makes remote operation super convenient.

PA0RCL Rating: 4/5 Mar 1, 2013 02:57 Send this review to a friend
Good little tuner  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Since I was pleased with my MFJ-929 automatic tuner I decided to buy the MFJ-925 as it is the same unit as the MFJ-929 minus the LCD and a few control buttons. I use my antenna tuners remote, i.e. as near the antenna feed point as physically possible. Whilst an ICOM AH-4 would have been the obvious choice for my Icom IC-7200 I went for the MFJ-925 because of the following pro's

- it tunes at lower RF power
- it has a wider SWR tuning range
- it interfaces with any brand or type of radio
- it costs a lot less

The MFJ-929 is not weather resistant, so one has to provide for some waterproof enclosure if the tuner is to be installed outside the house.

I only give this tuner a four and not a five because of its somewhat poor mechanical finish; sharp edges on the sheet metal, overtightened cabinet screws. The PCB build quality, however, seems quite OK.

WF0GMN Rating: 5/5 Jan 30, 2013 18:02 Send this review to a friend
Has provided several years of good service  Time owned: more than 12 months
Over the past several years I have used this tuner with several radios and many types of antennas. It has always performed very well.

K4SDW Rating: 3/5 Aug 24, 2012 09:41 Send this review to a friend
Tuner ok but Craftsmenship lacking  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just ordered one of these tuners. When I opened the box I was disappointed to see that the tune button and the ant button both were mounted flush with the front of the case. I had to have a pencil to push the button in. I could hear something rattling inside the box, so I opened it and found where someone had cut off a piece of soldered wiring that looked like it came from the SO 239 connector for the transmitter. I removed that trash then worked on those buttons and finally got those back out where they should have been to start with. Seems like a lot of people have to redo what MFJ starts. This is my first bad experience with them. The tuner seems to work ok now so I will keep it.

KC6RHE Rating: 5/5 Jul 27, 2012 08:16 Send this review to a friend
great tuner  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this tuner based on my experience with the MFJ 929, the 925 is the same tuner less the display. I am using it with my IC 7000 when in the shack and when I go mobile. no real need for a display as the 7000 has that. its fast, small and works. I am using it to tune a 20 meter hamstick dipole for 17/20 meters.

its small and you can out this out of site in the shack to keep the desk clean and organized.

KG9H Rating: 5/5 Jan 5, 2012 09:41 Send this review to a friend
Works as a wire tuner as well  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
So, while I am waiting for my 994BRT to arrive, I re-read this review for the 925 and decided to try mine out but at the base of a 150 wire and it worked perfect. The wall-wart is outside as well. All in a small container that is "somewhat water-proof". Running it from 160 - 10 meters - again a great little tuner.

KG9H Rating: 5/5 Jan 3, 2012 04:46 Send this review to a friend
Pretty Impressed  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have had this little tuner for a little over a month now, pretty impressed. Still a little confused on the manual but am working through it. I have it in the basement and using a coaxial switch, I run coax to a few operating positions "upstairs". This tuner hits the mark, every time I use it, it tunes automatically to the frequency with a 1:1 VSWR. Not, 1.7 but.. 1:1 --- every time. Nice algorithm - thank you for a good product. My radio always sees a good VSWR. I am ordering a remote tuner today for mounting outside for my long-wire. Frank KG9H, Antioch, IL

VK3PGM Rating: 4/5 Nov 13, 2011 18:46 Send this review to a friend
Nice Unit  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Nice unit overall. Manual is comprehensive and well written. Unit assembly is tight with no loose bits however a few sharp edges on the the metal casing.
The specifications make mention of "heavy duty 10 AMP 1000 volt relays" ....The board in my unit is fitted with 250 volt 3 AMP relays ...My TX only does 100 watts so I have not tested the 200 watt rating of this unit. The tuning works as claimed ...The relays make a fair bit of noise for a few seconds then remembers that frequency if you use it again. Very quick tuning on memorised frequency.
Minimal user interface but works as specified.