Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | B&W Folded Dipole AC-5-30 Help

Reviews Summary for B&W Folded Dipole AC-5-30
B&W Folded Dipole AC-5-30 Reviews: 9 Average rating: 3.7/5 MSRP: $219.95
Description: 5-30 Mhz Broadband, Copperweld Wire, 65 Ft Long
More info: http://www.bwantennas.com

You can write your own review of the B&W Folded Dipole AC-5-30.

YS1RS Rating: 5/5 Aug 27, 2016 21:35 Send this review to a friend
If I hear him I work him!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have had one of this since 2010 and I am very happy with it. If I can hear the station I can work it!
Have had exciting DX contacts with it with only 100 watts. Now I have added a 600 Watts amp and I can break through the pile ups. As someone already said, this is not a Loop, Yagi or any of those multi-element antennas used by the big guns... this is a Folded Dipole Multi-Band Antenna and in that category does an excellent job. I use it with no problems from 80 to 10 meters. On 80 meters is noisy but still works.
Has been used by the Military for decades and I have seen them on top of Embassies around the world. That says a lot at how durable and tough these are. Good job B&W!

AA7LV Rating: 5/5 Oct 20, 2008 21:47 Send this review to a friend
IT WORKS FOR ME!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
EASY TO INSTALL IF YOU HAVE TREES!
INSTALLED AS INVERTED V WITH APEX AT 25 FEET AND ENDS AT 10 FEET.
HEARS GOOD WITH LOW SWR ACROSS 40-10 METERS AND GOOD RECEIVE FROM BC TO 10 METERS FOR SWL WITH MY DRAKE TR-7.
GREAT TECH SUPPORT FROM BARKER AND WILLIAMSON.
SPARE PARTS AVAILABLE/CAN BE EXTENDED FOR 160/80 COVERAGE TO 90 OR 180 FEET WITH 14 GAUGE WIRE.
RECOMMENDED FOR A SINGLE "ALL BAND" ANTENNA.
GREAT FOR FIELD DAY WITH A SINGLE 30 FOOT MAST.

VE3YKE Rating: 5/5 Jan 3, 2004 14:58 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been using this antenna for just over a year. I like this antenna for its low noise level , compared to the vertical I had up before. Signals are not quite as strong , but anything I can here I can work with 100 watts. I have worked europe, japan, U.S, and south america. I have mine installed as an inverted V with the apex at 25 feet, and ends at 12 feet. This antenna works great if it is installed properly, follow the recommendations by B+W.

KD7RDZ Rating: 5/5 Dec 20, 2002 14:46 Send this review to a friend
great receiving antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been owing this antenna since 3 years for receiving (swl-ing). I found the performance of the antenna exactly matches its description by the 1988 WHRT handbook. Huge signals, extremely low noise and useful for receiving purposes also on 160 meters (the signal is attenuated somewhat 10db on 160 m).

However a vertical antenna does perform better on low angle signals.

AL1F Rating: 5/5 May 2, 2002 14:44 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used one of these folded dipoles for two years out in western Alaska. The antenna loaded well on all the bands and has withstood the elements well. I have mine installed in an inverted "V" configuration with the apex at 45 feet and both ends about 20 feet off the ground.

NT9E Rating: 0/5 Mar 11, 2002 02:57 Send this review to a friend
Extremely dissapointed  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought it for MARS use. Never could get it to load properly. Buyer beware. Very expensive dummy load.

KA3TQG Rating: 3/5 Jan 24, 2001 20:07 Send this review to a friend
Worked ok for me !!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I used one of these B & W folded dipoles at my hunting cabin for several years. It was O K for this use. I worked the PA. QSO Party twice from there with good results. It withstood the constant taking up and down at camp and stored easy. A friend of mine is currently using it from a great hilltop qth with good results.

K1GLJ Rating: 5/5 Jan 24, 2001 17:44 Send this review to a friend
It works for me!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Reentering the "active" radio amateur ranks after having been inactive far too long. Former Drake C-Line w/L4B and Mosely TA-33 beam. Purchased a TS-520 (around $200) and this antenna for my home on a very hilly, wooded area in the Green Mountain state.

The antenna was difficult to install, especially due to my treestand and underbrush. I needed an assistant due to the antenna's configuration. My recommendation is to follow the instructions included with this antenna! Forgo the tempation to unwind it immediately and hope to straighten it out later.

My installation is a sloper configuration (facing East), approximately 21 feet above the ground between my log home and a very large (and somewhat now denuded White Pine).

Works great! DX reports 59 SSB. 86 Countries within the first two months of operation. It's not a beam! It is a broad-banded folded dipole and my standing wave ratios are below 2 on 80-10 meters. To my knowledge the AC-5-30 is NOT designed to work on 160 meters. Expensive for a dipole, but it works effectively, at least for my hamming!

N9NUP Rating: 0/5 May 23, 2000 14:59 Send this review to a friend
Save Your Money  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this antenna for 160 meters-it would not
tune up on that band or 10 meters. Difficult to
put up.

A friend came over and he asked me about it. I gave it to him so my gargage floor would'nt look
so messy. He said he would give it a try. Maybe
you'll hear a different review in a couple of
weeks.