Reviews Categories | Microphone Equalizers & Transmit Audio Accessories | ART Tube MP Microphone Preamp Help

Reviews Summary for ART Tube MP Microphone Preamp
ART Tube MP Microphone Preamp Reviews: 7 Average rating: 4.1/5 MSRP: $64.00
Description: Applied Research & Technology Mic Preamp. Dimensions: 1.75in.h x 5.9in.w x 6.5in.d Weight: 2.5lbs. One 12AX7A tube. Max gain XLR = 70db. High Pass Filter:-3db @ 40hz. Phantom Pwr = 48vdc filtered. Freq. Response: 10hz-40khz. Selectable Impedance: 4.7k - 600ohms.Pwr.Supply included.
More info: http://Musicians Friend.com

You can write your own review of the ART Tube MP Microphone Preamp.

K1VCT Rating: 4/5 Jul 12, 2017 18:12 Send this review to a friend
Nice Preamp  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
They make three versions of this unit.
a- no meter, no OPL clipping circuit
b- with meter and OPL clipping circuit
c- the "V3" version with "variable valve voicing"

I got the one with the meter, which for some reason was five bucks cheaper than the one without the meter. Go figure.

Mine is noise free. Have not examined the 12AX7 but I'm suspecting a spiral filament for noise suppression. 12AX7s can be finicky about noise. Also gain varies considerably with brand and designation, as also does the overall tonality.

ART is most likely not transforming the 9vAC power up to 150vDC for the B+ of the tube, and as such is not getting the full use of what a 12AX7 will offer... but short of a home built preamp (and I considered it), you'll not get better performance.

Input impedance is 840k, respectable, but lower than 10m of a tube audio input that some mics would like to see. Dunno if this has an FET input, or if the input is into the valve directly, with a grid load resistor keeping the in put at 840k.

At any rate, it will easily drive my (unamplified, 1958 era) D104 with original element into an Icom 7200, with room to spare. The D104 also will "work" with the 7200 with no preamp, but you need to keep the ICOM's mic gain maxed out to do so. Using the preamp keeps the response of the mic biased less toward the highs and upper mids, and does open up the lower end quite a bit.

N4UE Rating: 5/5 Jun 27, 2016 13:18 Send this review to a friend
How do they do it?  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've been having a blast playing with some new 'inexpensive' condenser and dynamic mics with my Icom 7300 and other radios.
(See my reviews of the BM 800 condenser mic, and the 'no-name' mic I just did.)
The Icoms really like the condenser mics when properly powered. I've been playing with this ART and can't figure out how they can make a unit this inexpensive that works this good....
Yes, it has a 12AX7 tube in it. It comes with a power supply and great instructions. The one I received has a VU meter. It can supply 48 phantom volts if needed,
Where I found this to work the best, is with dynamic mics. It makes the mic have less bass and more enhanced highs.
All in all, a great unit, seems well made and cost < $40.

ron
N4UE

W0FEN Rating: 5/5 Mar 17, 2014 12:54 Send this review to a friend
Great Mic Pre-amp w/limiter  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have the Studio version but they are about the same. I bought it at a Hamfest cheap. It had shot noise. I burned it in for a weekend and the noise disappeared. I plan to use this for an AM Broadcast transmitter conversion.

N1EJH Rating: 3/5 Jun 7, 2013 10:49 Send this review to a friend
product Failure  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
As another review said about the hum, I had the same problem. But for $30.00 you can't bitch too much. Mine was still under warantee ART just sent me a new one, and keep the old one for parts.

KJ4NKN Rating: 2/5 Oct 14, 2010 11:26 Send this review to a friend
Great while it works  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This worked very well with my MXL 990 and FT950. It operated flawlessly for 9 months until my system had developed a 60 Hz hum that has been isolated to the preamp. But for $30 for a new one is it worth even taking the time to fix it? Not me. :)

KC0GSB Rating: 5/5 Mar 28, 2010 09:21 Send this review to a friend
Works Fine  Time owned: more than 12 months
Does what it is supposed to do and does it well. Low price too.

K1WJ Rating: 5/5 Jul 11, 2007 06:01 Send this review to a friend
Works nice  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Wanted to put a desk mic on my FT7800R Yaesu 2m/440 fm moble to use at the house. As I tried different mics nothing had the audio required. In comes the ART Mic Preamp. I'm using a Shure SM58s studio mic into the ART Mic Preamp 3pin XLR. Now I have enough audio. Easy to set up and use. Workmanship & quality of the unit seems fine. You will need the correct cables. I'm using a 3pin XLR cable to the ART amp. Then a Heil XLR to 8 pin Yaesu, then from 8pin Yaesu to 6pin modular Yaesu into the radio,also from Heil sound.
Nice solution to my issue, so far works great.
73, David K1WJ