Reviews Categories | Receivers: General Coverage | Hallicrafters WR-600 Help

Reviews Summary for Hallicrafters WR-600
Hallicrafters WR-600 Reviews: 2 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $49.95
Description: One of the last of the 4 tube Hallicrafters. Frequency coverage is Am broadcast band through 30 MHz. It has a bandspread and BFO. Similar in looks to the S-107, but woodgraind (metal) case with Gold plastic face, and brown knobs.

You can write your own review of the Hallicrafters WR-600.

NG9D Rating: 5/5 Sep 7, 2007 15:30 Send this review to a friend
What a wonderful time  Time owned: more than 12 months
I received a WR-600 as a Christmas present from my parents. What a wonderful gift! I had no idea who made this radio, or that Hallicrafters founder Jack Halligan had just sold his company to the Northrop Corp. (I guess that was the timing...)

I do remember announcing to the other neighborhood kids that I managed to copy ONE COMPLETE WORD sent in Morse code. That feat took soom time, I had worked on it, off-and-on for about six months using a table of the alphabet and the dots-and-dashes code copied out of an encyclopedia.

Anyway, Dad moved out of our old house recently and I recovered that old radio. After cleaning up the pots and caps with CRC contact cleaner, everything worked the same as it did in the 1960s.

Even better than I remembered in some ways, maybe since I am using resonant antennas compared to the old random lengths of blasting wire I found at the rock quarry as a kid.

So, after 40 years it still works. Although I use it sparingly, I do enjoy listening to AM BC band newscasts and general SWL and ham listening.

When I really want to get nostalgic, I browse through the owners manual while the tubes are warming up.

NG9D

KB0HAE Rating: 4/5 Jul 12, 2007 18:55 Send this review to a friend
Good receiver in its day  Time owned: more than 12 months
A Hallicrsfters WR-600 was the first worthwhile SW receiver that I had. When I was 16, I found one at a local garage sale for $5.00. At the time (1976)that was a lot of money to me. I had to replace 2 of the tubes, and do a bit of alignment in the If stages, but other than that it was in surprising good shape. For several years I listened to SW broadcasts on AM, and Amateur operators on SSB. In its day it was a good affordable receiver. I eventually sold it, and wished I hadn't. a few years ago I bought another one on eBay. After replacing the tubes, and a few capacitors it didn't work too bad. However, I did a full alighnment, and cleaned all of the switches and controls with DeOxit, and it works much better now! Not quite as sensitive or selective as the Grundig YB400PE, but not bad for its age, price, and the technology of the time. I see them on eBay ocassionally, but would not recomend buying one unless you are willing and able to replace a few tubes and other parts (if necessary), and do a full alighment.