Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Directional (Yagi, quad, etc.) | SOTAbeams SB5 5 element 2m Yagi Help

Reviews Summary for SOTAbeams SB5 5 element 2m Yagi
SOTAbeams SB5 5 element 2m Yagi Reviews: 1 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $139
Description: A lightweight 5 element 2m Yagi designed for portable operation. Sold as a complete kit with Yagi, guying system, mast, feeder.
More info: http://www.sotabeams.co.uk/sb5.htm

You can write your own review of the SOTAbeams SB5 5 element 2m Yagi.

2E0KPO Rating: 5/5 Nov 1, 2007 03:53 Send this review to a friend
There is no doubt about it, the sotabeam 3 and 5 are the best  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I started with the 3 element beam (used for 3 years) and this survived may an outing up a mountain for my SOTA work. It never let me down.

I have moved over to the 5 Element beam as it offers better performance in some areas and also can be made into a very simple and small three element Yagi if the conditions are bad.

Its very well made, just over 400gm and performs very well with its High gain (10.5dBi), SWR is very acceptable. It is very easy to assemble at the portable location, but is let down by the small rubber o rings that hold the elements in on one side, they are easily lost so keep spares. The coax has a BNC at one end and two croc- clips to connect to the elements. I never had a problem with my three element that uses this arrangement. Just support the coax near the antenna.
I bought mine as a kit, antenna + coax, mast and guys and I have to say it is well priced as a kit

I have so far worked mine in 50mph + winds with no problem, and my old three element I have worked in higher wind speeds and temperatures as low and -30c wind chill. Contacts over 300 miles are easy with 20 watts on 2m SSB from a 1500 2000ft summit.

There is no doubt about it, the sotabeam 3 and 5 are the best designed small yagi for portable use by far. I am very pleased with the product and service. Richard is a great chap to deal with.