Reviews Categories | Antenna Switching, Phasing, Controllers | LDG DTS-6/6R Help

Reviews Summary for LDG DTS-6/6R
LDG DTS-6/6R Reviews: 8 Average rating: 3.6/5 MSRP: $150.00
Description: Six Position Desktop Coaxial Switch / Remote
More info: http://ldgelectronics.com

You can write your own review of the LDG DTS-6/6R.

EI3GSB Rating: 1/5 Oct 9, 2011 10:12 Send this review to a friend
Not fit for purpose  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I recently installed a DTS-6 in my shack with the idea that I will have a few antennae up shortly and the DTS-6 will provide a convenient way of switching between different antennae. Currently I'm using just one port with a Comet H-422, Kenwood TS-850 and a Ranger 811H amp. Last night I noticed that I couldn't tune up on any band, the SWR reading would not come down. I figured I had a problem with the coax so I resoldered the plug. Put the plug in, tuned up fine and ran with 400w. had one QSO into Russia on 20m to check everything was OK then started to call CQ. Suddenly the SWR went right up. Switched off the amp, selected AM and tried to tune but again the SWR refused to drop. I pulled the DTS-6 out of line and everything was fine.
According to the manufacturers specs this switch is rated for operation up to 1500w yet mine failed at just 400w.
It might be of use if you run low power but useless at legal limits.

M0GER Rating: 2/5 Aug 11, 2010 14:41 Send this review to a friend
poor attentuation between ports  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just bought the DTS-6 and like many others use it reverse to connect various transceivers to the same antenna. I noticed that received audio can be heard in transceivers that are not connected to the antenna.
I contacted LDG about this and this is the answer I got:

"The isolation is about 50 db between ports. Since most radios go down to
about -100db, you will hear some. As long as you don't go over about 150
watts, you should not have any front end issues."

Well, my transceivers are all very expensive and I won't take the risk of blowing my front ends. Even simple MFJ antenna switches have higher attenuation than that and those never caused any problems. No wonder then that LDG does no longer manufacture these switches.
Waste of money, sorry.
And on a further note: this "great" American product is made in Taiwan.

N3ZH Rating: 5/5 Apr 5, 2010 19:00 Send this review to a friend
Works very well  Time owned: more than 12 months
This coax antenna switch works well - I own the DTS-6 without any remote.

I have written software to control it. It would have been nicer if the commands to/from the switch were all plain ASCII text without any binary values.

I can use the Radio Shack CIV cable 020-047 to control the DTS-6 coax switch only if I take the stereo connector and swap the tip and center. I built a 6 inch 1/8" female to 1/8" male adapter to swap the tip and center wires on the 1/8" plug. It would have been nicer if this was not necessary.

It's a shame the LDG has discontinued this coax switch. However one can still buy this model from existing stocks.

I know of no other low priced computer controlled coax switch like this LDG DTS-6. I hope it becomes popular enough for LDG to resume production of it.

G4DYO Rating: 1/5 Oct 25, 2009 06:23 Send this review to a friend
Would not recommend  Time owned: more than 12 months
About 18 months ago I purchased and LDG 4-position switch. It packed up after a few months and my dealer offered repair or a new switch. I took the "new" option but paid extra and had the DTS-6, 6-position switch. I've had it for just over a year and the same problem has arisen as happened with the earlier one. Presumably one or more of the relays has jammed as it gives a high SWR on all my antennas. I cannot run anything like the rated power level so it isn't that.

I think I'll revert to a good old-fashioned mechanical switch which will be much more reliable.

CE3DNP Rating: 5/5 Oct 16, 2009 16:09 Send this review to a friend
Excellent !  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Muy comodo y fácil de usar.

VE3BXB Rating: 5/5 Jul 8, 2009 18:30 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Switch  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have 5 antennas and a dummy load connected to this 6 position switch. I also have 2 different HF radios hooked in series to the LDG switch using a two postion Diawa switch. This combination is working very well. I am able to use any of my HF antennas on either radio and maintain full isolation from one radio to the other. I am getting the best of using either of my rigs on any of my antennas all at the flip of a switch. What more can you ask for.
LDG puts out a very attractive and functional product and I certainly have nothing bad to say about this DTS-6 product.
I hope that LDG keeps up the good work and I would recommend this product to anyone.
VE3BXB

K9EX Rating: 5/5 Apr 2, 2008 14:45 Send this review to a friend
A Fine and Reliable Switch  Time owned: more than 12 months
I use my DTS-6 to connect various rigs in my shack to my main station antenna. This switch has been in continuous service for well over a year without any glitches or performance issues. The product is also very well constructed and is an attractive piece of contemporary gear that integrates nicely with other shack equipment. I appreciate the white areas for identifying connected equipment - I used my label gun to create stick-on labels for these areas and the end result is a nice, professional-looking addition to the shack. There's just not much sex appeal to a switch, its true, but this one is well made and highly reliable. Great job, LDG!

W1JUS Rating: 5/5 Jul 15, 2007 12:11 Send this review to a friend
Better than MFJ  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought the LDG over the MFJ Ant. Switch because of the super bright LED's made it all most impossible to choose the wrong Antenna - A very
expensive mistake !! - Auto Sense also FB.