Reviews Categories | Towers, masts, accessories, climbing gear | Glenn Martin Hazer tower accessories Help

Reviews Summary for Glenn Martin Hazer tower accessories
Glenn Martin Hazer tower accessories Reviews: 4 Average rating: 3.8/5 MSRP: $274 - $361
Description: Glen Martin "Hazer"
More info: http://www.glenmartin.com/

You can write your own review of the Glenn Martin Hazer tower accessories.

N4ZAW Rating: 3/5 Mar 15, 2009 06:19 Send this review to a friend
Ehh...I'm old. I need one.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Well, the HAZER-3 that I ordered (that's the mid-strength HAZER) was on my doorstep when I got home Wednesday. This aluminum model is lighter than the heavy duty Hazer by far. I'm posting this review on all my favorite internet "watrering holes". The kits come with everything you need for basic assembly, including a cheap hand winch, 1/8" wire rope, and top pulley with mounting bracket.The different models are rated by their winload handling capacity.
The thing comes in a 6"x6"x3foot box weighing 30lbs. Cost for the Hazer II: $327.05 not including shipping.

Assembly instructions are vague, but written in genuine "Americanese english", because it is made by GlenMartin, inc, Boonville, MO. Most of the assembly process is done sitting in a chair, fondling the various parts and two 7/16" wrenches -- periodically scratchin one's head in bewilderment. But after three hours, I had the three sides individually assembled. Another hour was spent attatching it to the tower, and 4 hours of fitting/adjusting!! They state in the instructions, "Do not tighten any of the bolts yet, until final assembly on the tower". Yeah buddy! Do not overlook that. .. Not that it made any difference in my case, as the thing didn't fit, plain and simple. I even purchased the optional "Roller Bearing Set" for 77buks, which is a set of wheels that allow the Hazer to move more smoothly. One problem......
The assembly was very snug on the tower ,actually hanging-up completely on miiddle the tower, which was laying horizontally. There was some sag at that point of hang-up. also I had to use the six "Lugs" (part#2) as shims,along with an additional shim in each corner that I had to fabricate from aluminum bar stock. Add to this, the roller bearing cariages wouldn't even clear the tower bolts, so I also had to "machine" spacers for the spacers from what I had on-hand, which was 1/2"CPVC and 1/8" SS tubing! N/S!
Once I had the shims in, the six "Corner braces" no longer fit, so (you guessed it) I had to fabricate new ones that did! OK... So it's on the tower and now travels freely the full length. No more climbing for this 56year-old chunky monkey! It was worth the extra effort I guess. But given the initial cost of the thing, everything should fit out-of-the-box (IMHO). There should also be some adjustment built-in to the inter-part fits, so "re-designing" it in the back yard wasn't needed!!!
Botton line: If you're thinking about getting one of these things, you best have brand new, well-shipped & assembled tower, or a well-stocked macine shop. And if you have a machine shop, why bother??? Build your own for 1/5 the cost! Then be prepaired for some swearing and gnashing of teeth!

The best thing I bought in this shipment was the Yaesu thrust bearing, also available from Glenmartin. What a nice piece of work it is! Sealed form the elements, smooth as silk -- sturdy.... A tad pricey at $64.95 but well worth every penney!
The end price tag with roller bearing, thrust bearing and shipping came to $493.15 -- the price of a nice radio! But then, RF 101, rule#12 states; "any radio is only as good as the antenna system it feeds!

N4AQG Rating: 2/5 May 20, 2006 23:28 Send this review to a friend
Disappointing  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought the Hazer 4. The instructions fell way short of complete. I had to call support 3 or 4 times to clear up confusion or just plain fill in huge gaps. The latch was drilled wrong and would not work. The kit was short several peices. A couple of calls produced nothing. I was removing one of the lock nuts and the bolt sheared off. I was using a 4 inch box end wrench at the time. There were several poorly designed places or parts in the kit. I finally got it together and it works quite well BUT I would NOT do it over again. It is over priced and the flaws, both material and design were NOT a recommendation for "Made in America".

WB4HUC Rating: 5/5 Aug 27, 2000 11:38 Send this review to a friend
Glen Martin Hazer H-4  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
My H4 is installed on 40' of Rohn 25 and has
worked perfectly since the day it was installed.

It's like a big erector set, though, and it
would have been handy to have two more hands
when I was assembling it.

But all the parts fit together as they should
and it went together in fairly short order.

A friend climbed the tower three times: once to
stack the sections, once to install the pulley
and cable, and a third time because I somehow got
confused and asked him to install the pulley
assembly on the wrong tower face. He graciously
came back out and moved the pulley to the proper
place.

I had to have it moved in order to orient the
antenna the proper way when I lower the Hazer.

I also ordered the messenger line kit for
supporting the weight of the coax and rotator
cable, and I ordered a 3-foot arm to bolt to the
Hazer for supporting a wire antenna.

The whole system works flawlessly and I expect
not to have anyone climb the tower anymore except
for periodic inspections.

Visit http://www.glenmartin.com for the
manufacturer's web site.

To see my Hazer and antenna, visit

Mike - WB4HUC
Austin, TX

WL7M Rating: 5/5 Apr 12, 2000 13:57 Send this review to a friend
Glen Martin Hazer - Wow!  Time owned: unknown months
A great product! Having climbed many towers over the years, I've decided that the easier way is to use a tram system to bring the antenna and rotator to ME! The Hazer tram is a great product! LOTS of nuts and bolts, but the instructions are great. Goes together easily, and works great! During the Alaskan winter, I had to do some work on the antenna, and the Hazer functioned perfectly....even at -35 degrees with a wind chill off the charts! You have to be tough to live in Alaska, and the hazer fits in nicely.