Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Mobile & Accessories | Shark FM "mini" HF Help

Reviews Summary for Shark FM "mini" HF
Shark FM Reviews: 12 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $19.95 street price for most vers
Description: The Shark FM "mini" series of single band antennas are convenient for HF operation on the road. Each American made antenna covers a single HF band with a power rating of 250 watts P.E.P. Each antenna features a black fiberglass lower section with integral coil and an adjustable (removable) stainless steel whip. The Allen wrench is included. The base of the antenna element is a 3/8 inch X 24 thread. The color of these antennas is black. These antennas do not include the mount or coax. [Also available in a full size version].

The S-F 5MS is a set of five mini HF antennas for 10-15-20-40-75 meters bundled in one package.

You can write your own review of the Shark FM "mini" HF.

AJ2I Rating: 5/5 Jul 13, 2014 11:44 Send this review to a friend
Awesome Performance!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
HF mobile has been such a blast and these "mini" antennas are amazing. I can only speak for the 20m version. I've broke through pileups into VK and the middle east with this $20 antenna. When conditions are good, this antenna sings. Very happy.

AD4CC Rating: 5/5 Jun 27, 2012 14:02 Send this review to a friend
Excellent for the size  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Purchased from Universal Radio. All Tuned up well, however, some do not reach 1:1, maybe 1.5:1 which is fine. I use the LDG tuner with mine and the IC7000. Works very well together. Field day was fun, several contacts on Saturday and Sunday. Even checked into the local 75 meter net. They work, they are small (love the 20 meter one!). Using the diamond 400 trunk lip mount with grounding on a Lincoln MKS. Wish I had the 17 meter version but 20 tuned there OK.
Overall, would recommend these!

AD4CC Rating: 5/5 Jun 27, 2012 13:59 Send this review to a friend
Excellent for the size  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Purchased from Universal Radio. All Tuned up well, however, some do not reach 1:1, maybe 1.5:1 which is fine. I use the LDG tuner with mine and the IC7000. Works very well together. Field day was fun, several contacts on Saturday and Sunday. Even checked into the local 75 meter net. They work, they are small (love the 20 meter one!). Wish there was a 17 meter version but 20 tuned there OK.
Overall, would recommend these!

WX4PBC Rating: 4/5 Apr 28, 2012 18:37 Send this review to a friend
Good compromise antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Being in need of a "short" or “Low Profile” HF antenna system for new company SUV and reading the reviews here on eHam, I installed the mini 5 band kit on rear hatch with diamond 400c mount. All tuned well with exception of the 75m.I have not tuned it yet. Note: I have properly ground the vehicle body to chassis. (I think)

The antennas appear to be of sound quality. I added a coil spring to improve rf ground picture which did drop the SWR. I did not have problems with the set screws but based on the reviews, I replaced them shortly after the install.

Even through call signs and contacts are not the deciding factor, lack of them would be. I have no trouble in making QSOs and receive good reports stateside and fair reports from Europe.

The antennas seem to pick up less noise more so than the full size "HamSticks". So..If you’re looking for a good compromise antenna that works and is easy to tune I would recommend this “Daily Driver” HF antenna system

73, Ray
WX4PBC
www.pbcskywarn.org

KM5TC Rating: 4/5 May 20, 2011 15:27 Send this review to a friend
Good  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have the 40m and 20m. Using them on my PT Cruiser. No grounding other than the trunk lip
mount on the rear hatch. 857D and LDG 100+ works
well. The size helps in pulling under my car port
and the quick disconnects are a plus for band
changes. Also used the 20m on my GMC p/u. Threw the radio and tuner in the front seat, cig for power at 30watts and enjoyed hf while on a brief
trip out of town for two days. Antenna was mounted on a mag mount no grounding. 73's KM5TC

N4DBM Rating: 5/5 Jan 29, 2010 04:27 Send this review to a friend
Works Well!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Not much more to say.. I have the 60 meter antenna. Matches up fine in the middle of the band. Bandwidth under 2:1 across all channels. Seems to work well for its relative size. I would recommend this to anyone wanting a small HF mobile. I have heard of folks installing two of these back to back and feeding one side with the center pin and one side with the shield, and making a portable "dipole" antenna with them with good success.

WB5JEO Rating: 4/5 Nov 11, 2009 15:00 Send this review to a friend
Yeah. They Work.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
How do you rate this? Surely not against larger mobile antennas. I guess I'll split the difference. I needed a daily antenna that could clear the parking garage. The 20-mtr Mini is shorter than the 5L/8 2-mtr. that slaps the overhead. Tested by calling on the CH net to another mobile in SD. (I'm in So. TX.) Came right back with about as good a report as I could give him. Reports mean nothing, but I was obviously copied okay. And that's with it sitting under a huge old oak tree and a power line. Can't ask for more from this tiny $20 antenna. It got me on the air HF mobile, which wasn't going to happen otherwise on 20, as stopping to take down a big antenna every day wasn't going to cut it. I also got some full-size Sharks and quick disconnects for days on the road. They certainly tune up slicker, but the Mini does what I need.

AC4RD Rating: 3/5 Jun 28, 2009 09:50 Send this review to a friend
They do work  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I used to do mobile HF from a big car with Hamsticks on the trunk lid. Now I've got a tiny box-shaped car and only 8' of clearance in my parking garage at work. I ordered a 20m mini Shark to give it a try. It's mounted at the roofline of my econobox (Scion xB.)

I've only had it for a week but used it a good bit during Field Day this weekend. I'm guessing it is from one to three S units weaker than the Hamsticks were--which is actually not all that bad considering that the 20m version of the mini Shark is literally only three feet long. If Field Day stations were S7 to S9 on my receiver, I had a decent chance of working them with the Shark. S5 or below, not so likely--though there was a lot of QRM, it being Field Day.

The criticism about the set screws IS correct, I had to replace mine almost immediately. And my first mounting location left the mini-Shark unable to tune up or to hear anything--but mounting it up HIGH on the car and tuning it very carefully with an antenna analyzer gave me reasonably decent performance, for an antenna so physically small. I'm going to try homebrewing a bumper-mount bugcatcher for 20/17/15 ... but for now the mini Shark means I *can* work HF from my car. Not very well, but it's way better than nothing.

N7JPF Rating: 5/5 Apr 23, 2009 09:25 Send this review to a friend
impressed  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Several years ago, when I started doing HF-mobile, I had a group of BIG Hustler antennas (on a tree) and a few HamSticks. I always got acceptable performance from them all, but never did like having that much weight and sway out there. I got tired of the fishing line holding things in place. I recently started doing 20 and 40 meter mobile again (County Hunter Mobile) and decided to try these new little Sharks. I am impressed! I only bought the 40 and the 20, and have quick disconnect on both. They worked poorly, as my other antennas did, mounted at the back of the car. So, I have a 3-mag magmount on top of my Jeep and Dodge caravan, and it doesn't look overly tall. AND, best yet, the performance doesn't seem to be less than a big antenna. I have also upgraded to an auto tuner, and that is really sweet. Tuning the 40 was a little trickier than the 20, but once I was close to my desired frequency, I locked it in, and the auto tuner does the rest. I have also found, that in a pinch, the 40 tunes up reasonably well on 20, and of course, 15 meters. As far as the set screws, I haven't had a problem with them. I only adjusted them the one time, and then put electrical tape over the top just in case they ever decide to back out. They are really nice for cross-country travel, knowing that I have HF capability, and not having to sorry about that HUGE stick or antenna on the car.

WA6MOW Rating: 5/5 Feb 16, 2009 08:30 Send this review to a friend
Great for stealth mobile!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I love the size of these antennas. I use mine mobile in motion, mounted on the roof rack of my Suburban. I get great reports even with 80 meter mini stick, which should be very inefficient for its small size. I think that because they are mounted 7 feet above the ground, they are far more efficient. For the money, live on the edge and give them a try!!