Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Mobile & Accessories | Shark FM "mini" HF Help

Reviews Summary for Shark FM "mini" HF
Shark FM Reviews: 14 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $19.95 street price for most vers
Description: The Shark FM "mini" series of single band antennas are convenient for HF operation on the road. Each American made antenna covers a single HF band with a power rating of 250 watts P.E.P. Each antenna features a black fiberglass lower section with integral coil and an adjustable (removable) stainless steel whip. The Allen wrench is included. The base of the antenna element is a 3/8 inch X 24 thread. The color of these antennas is black. These antennas do not include the mount or coax. [Also available in a full size version].

The S-F 5MS is a set of five mini HF antennas for 10-15-20-40-75 meters bundled in one package.

You can write your own review of the Shark FM "mini" HF.

N7JPF Rating: 5/5 Apr 23, 2009 09:25 Send this review to a friend
impressed  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Several years ago, when I started doing HF-mobile, I had a group of BIG Hustler antennas (on a tree) and a few HamSticks. I always got acceptable performance from them all, but never did like having that much weight and sway out there. I got tired of the fishing line holding things in place. I recently started doing 20 and 40 meter mobile again (County Hunter Mobile) and decided to try these new little Sharks. I am impressed! I only bought the 40 and the 20, and have quick disconnect on both. They worked poorly, as my other antennas did, mounted at the back of the car. So, I have a 3-mag magmount on top of my Jeep and Dodge caravan, and it doesn't look overly tall. AND, best yet, the performance doesn't seem to be less than a big antenna. I have also upgraded to an auto tuner, and that is really sweet. Tuning the 40 was a little trickier than the 20, but once I was close to my desired frequency, I locked it in, and the auto tuner does the rest. I have also found, that in a pinch, the 40 tunes up reasonably well on 20, and of course, 15 meters. As far as the set screws, I haven't had a problem with them. I only adjusted them the one time, and then put electrical tape over the top just in case they ever decide to back out. They are really nice for cross-country travel, knowing that I have HF capability, and not having to sorry about that HUGE stick or antenna on the car.
WA6MOW Rating: 5/5 Feb 16, 2009 08:30 Send this review to a friend
Great for stealth mobile!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I love the size of these antennas. I use mine mobile in motion, mounted on the roof rack of my Suburban. I get great reports even with 80 meter mini stick, which should be very inefficient for its small size. I think that because they are mounted 7 feet above the ground, they are far more efficient. For the money, live on the edge and give them a try!!
W0DKM Rating: 5/5 Nov 24, 2008 11:49 Send this review to a friend
They work for ME.  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I wanted a shorter antenna for around town driving. I have my mount in the middle of my van roof. So using anything over 4-5 foot is a tree branch banger.
So I was just going to use Sharks for receiving.
I thought nobody could hear me with a 4 foot antenna.
I was wrong. BUT Even the FONZ had trouble with being wrong.
I have been using 5-25 watts and talking DX.
Nope not easily, I yell alot.

I tryed swaping back and forth with full size Ham Sticks. And didnt hear much differance.

This is'nt for everyone but it works for me.

I found Sharks at Universal Radio.
N2QGV Rating: 4/5 Oct 26, 2008 03:39 Send this review to a friend
Seem to be doing the job...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Finally got around to installing a mobile HF rig in the PT Cruiser. I purchased a 5 pack of these mini sticks, because several years ago many friends had great success with the Ironhorse (ATOC) mini's that are no longer produced. I also selected them for the very low profile. I don't like attaching my car to an antenna.

To date, I am having good success and some fun operating with the 10, 15, 20, & 40 meter sticks. Haven't messed with the 75 meter one yet. They are not a full size screwdriver but I do get a little exercise when changing sticks. Around 30 of these sticks could be purchased for the cost of a good screwdriver set up. So far, I am happy with 4 of the 5 mini's I own.

The only issue to date is with the cheaper than cheap (aka. crap) set screws supplied with the antennas. I have never been able to round out the hex hole with a hand held alan wrench, but the supplied set screws gave me the opportunity to experience this even before they were tight enough to hold the stinger in place. If you buy one of these sticks, go immediatly and spend the $0.80 on a couple of stainless steel set screws before attempting to tune the antenna.