Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Mobile & Accessories | Shark HF full size versions Help

Reviews Summary for Shark HF full size versions
Shark HF full size versions Reviews: 2 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $18.95 street price for most
Description: The Shark single band antenna represent an economical solution to mobile HF operation. Each American made antenna covers a single HF band with a power rating of 250 watts P.E.P. Each antenna features a 44 inch black fiberglass lower section with integral coil and an adjustable (removable) 4 foot stainless steel whip. The base of the antenna element is a 3/8 inch X 24 thread. The color of these antennas is black. These antennas do not include the mount or coax. [Also available in a mini size version].

The S-F 5S is a set of five HF antennas for 10-15-20-40-75 Meters bundled in one package.

You can write your own review of the Shark HF full size versions.

KB8JNE Rating: 5/5 Dec 22, 2010 14:16 Send this review to a friend
These are all good!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Just wanted to update on the Sharks. I now have 6 Shark antennas and am planning on more. In my backyard and working the world on a light stand as mentioned in my 6m stick review below is a set of 20m sticks in a dipole. They tuned great stand alone and they tune down to 80m acceptably with an MFJ-949D. I also have singles for 17m, 40m that I toss on the car for the drive to (17m) and home (40m) work every day. So far I have hit trees and the garage more times than I would like to think about and they have stayed strong. Unless you wrap the coils some horribly wrong way all this type of antenna are going to be the same.

As for the set screws, I am confused by that. Once I set an antenna I'm done with it. You don;t have to keep resetting it so just take it a little easy when matching it up the first time. I have had no issues with mine at all. You don't need to torque them to 50 ft/lbs to set it up. A light locking into place is all you want to set SWR, when you have it as close as it will get, give it a little goose. Then your done until you change vehicles or whatever.

Reports are all good and as my usual caveat, most of it is always going to be band conditions but, starting out on the right foot with a good resonant stick is the place to be.

By the way, I used the little known Yaesu motorcycle mount turned sideways to mount a 3/8" stud mount to the tire carrier on my Jeep. Requires a little opening of the holes but it has held steady all summer and it's way under $20 for the mount that way, plenty strong for the long versions of these sticks.

Sean
KB8JNE

WB5JEO Rating: 4/5 Dec 2, 2009 20:00 Send this review to a friend
Just Fine for $20  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought the 20, 40, and 15 meter versions. I also bought the 20 meter Shark Mini for the workweek because it clears the parking garage. They all work better than I expected. I work Europe in the morning and in the afternoon can check into my net and get very good reports from any part of the country the band's open to. Definitely and immediately replace the stinger set screws with better quality. They're both short and poor quality, and you stand an excellent chance of wallowing out the socket during setup. Basically, this is a Hamstick. I rate it a 4 as being at least as good as I could ever expect from this class of antenna. It would be a 5 for meeting expectations, if only they had used decent set screws.