Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Portable (not mobile) | TransWorld Antennas TW2010 Traveler HF Portable Vertical Antenna Help

Reviews Summary for TransWorld Antennas TW2010 Traveler HF Portable Vertical Antenna
TransWorld Antennas TW2010 Traveler HF Portable Vertical Antenna Reviews: 83 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $399
Description: The TW2010 Traveler® is the perfect antenna if you are searching for high performance DX communications in a portable package.

Traveler® provides five-band, omni-directional communications in an easy-to-assemble package that requires no radial ground system or towers and is designed for operators requiring stealth performance.

The black powder coating assures stealth performance for Hams who operate in areas with deed restrictions or other areas prohibiting permanently installed antennas and towers.

A low take-off angle — an outcome of the modified-H design — produces maximum skip for successful DX transmissions and contact.

Traveler® can be assembled in minutes for either permanent installation on a mounting rod or temporary setup using a sturdy, optional quadrapod.

You can write your own review of the TransWorld Antennas TW2010 Traveler HF Portable Vertical Antenna.

N6JPG Rating: 5/5 Jun 4, 2016 11:32 Send this review to a friend
Best Portable Antenna  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
One of the best parts of the hobby to me is being able to take it on the road. I've been able to work from RV parks, deserts, mountain tops, and beaches. Although I've had great results with an MFJ-2289 Big Ear dipole, I found that under changing band conditions, reconfiguring the antenna for a new band is time consuming and distracting.
About 8 months ago, I worked another ham who was using the TW2010 indoors from his living room and running about 50W. He had a great signal that did not fade and remained consistent throughout the QSO. After checking them out and reading reviews, etc. for about 6 months, I finally decided to take the plunge and buy a TW2010.
I ordered the travel bag and the antenna and controller which all fit neatly inside the bag with extra compartments on the inside and outside for ancillary gear along with a couple of Velcro straps for coax, etc. on the outside.
After receiving he antenna, I tried it out in my backyard, a couple of nearby hillsides, and a parking lot. The TW2010 takes all of about 3-4 minutes to assemble and set up. The entire antenna is self-supporting so there is no need to carry a separate pop-up mast or tripod. I purchased the electronic controller which makes the whole thing worthwhile. Once set up, the only requirement to change bands is the turn of a switch. I power the controller using a small 12V battery I purchased from Batteries Plus Bulbs. Transworld recommends using at least 65' of coax with the antenna and you must ensure that the coax and control cable come off the antenna at a 45 degree angle towards the ground and the coax cannot have any kinks or coils in it. I place the cable contact point with the ground about 10' feet from the antenna. I recommend carrying a rock or sandbag with you to hold the cables to the ground. Also, don't try using the antenna too close to a metallic structure.
As for the results, I was pleasantly surprised. Receive is excellent on all bands 20-10 meters. Transmit is also quite good for such a simple antenna. The current sunspot cycle has left a bit to be desired on HF but this antenna shines if given even a slight opening. From a hillside above Sacramento, CA one day, under so-so conditions, I was able to work stations all across the country including Alaska and Hawaii on 5 watts!. I recently set up a FT-857D for portable use. Using about 80 watts of power, I have worked a fair bit of DX with the antenna and lots of domestic stations including a 747 pilot over Alaska. I can usually count on a good signal report as well, usually S-7 to S-9. On a recent trip to one of our favorite Northern California RV parks, I was able to work England and Russia using the FT-857D.
The only downside I see to this antenna is the price. 2016 prices with the travel bag (a necessity) is running close to $700 but you get what you pay for.
Bottom line, if you want an antenna for travel or stealth that is quick and easy to set up, easily changes bands, and performs as advertised, buy the 2010. There are cheaper antennas but but this one is a very good performer and is the epitome of convenience.
K0DLJ Rating: 5/5 Apr 2, 2016 06:50 Send this review to a friend
Great limited space DX antenna  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This antenna just works.

Im new to the hobby and wanted something simple to get into the hobby to see how I enjoy it. My first antenna was a g5rv mounted to a tree and the gutter of my house in an L shape about 20' up, as this was my only option. I had made one contact to Canada and a few state side contacts. I immediately started looking for better options at my qth. I chose the TW2010

It took about a week to arrive from when I placed my order. I put up the antenna in 5 minutes and thought this is to easy, no way it works, other reviewers must have lied. That thought was wrong. My first contact was Maryland broke a pile up at a special event station with a booming signal report. Made a few other stateside contacts then came the DX Poland, Germany, Croatia, Czech Republic, and Finland. Couldn't believe I got them as my elmer had been telling me that I wasted my money when I ordered the antenna. He literally told me I'd be better off with a wire coat hanger jammed in to the so-239 ant. socket on my transceiver. Now after casual operating I have 50 countries worked, on a ground mounted antenna, not too bad. Other operators can't believe the signal they're hearing from me, ground mounted at 100w. I have mine mounted per instructions 23' from objects house, fence etc. and feed line is at 45 from antenna. Check out my qrz page for photos. I also have the optional switching control box, works nice for band changing.

I got 50 countries with horrible band conditions, I can't wait to see how it performs with good band conditions.

KC2GUY Rating: 5/5 Sep 30, 2015 18:40 Send this review to a friend
Updated Review Of A DX Blaster  Time owned: more than 12 months
i have been using this antenna almost exclusively for 20-10 meter bands...mostly 20,17,15 and rarely 12. i have it ground mounted on a home depot patio umbrella base and guyed with fishing line.'s permanent at my home qth.
underneath the antenna i have a W2NG Ground Reflector of chicken wire (nylon coated). in a word, shocking. to me and my contacts...almost always. beats my vertical loop on those bands 95% of the time. i run 800 watts for dx. take a look at my log on qrz. easy to get JA stations, VK,Africa, Middle East, South America, ect..almost anywhere, conditions providing. i run the coax (buryflex) in a horizontal fashion for about 35 feet, then underground. i have ferrite chokes along the way, however, even without them, there was no RFI in the shack. USA contacts are also superb. this antenna outperforms all verticals, wires, and loops that i have had. BY FAR. i would give it a 10 if i could.
take a look at my pics of it at my qrz page. My thanks to W2NG for guidance on the ground screen which makes this antenna really rock !
8P6GU Rating: 5/5 Aug 17, 2015 03:06 Send this review to a friend
Superb antenna.Excellent performance  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently ordered and received this antenna and was surprised that it was in the island so quickly.It was neatly packed in the black bag the first thing I noticed was the quality and workmanship of this antenna I put it up the next day very easy to assemble connected it to the yeasu ft897d and was amazed at the quality of the signals received heard a station in the swiss Alps calling cq went back to him heard me the first time. I was running 90watts since then I went to various locations around the island of Barbados and was able to work many countries including Israel, Europe and the US.My working condition Yeasu ft897d lifepo4 12volt10ah battery, Tg40amp battery booster.Imust conclude by saying that thisTw2010 is an excellent antenna well constructed and gives great performance.Will be buying the TW4040 section very soon.
Haschel Bynoe 8P6GU Barbados
AA7RX Rating: 3/5 Feb 13, 2015 23:05 Send this review to a friend
Could be a lot better  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this antenna with a permanent mounting pole in 2011, but due to HOA restrictions, I did not set it up right away. When I decided to try this antenna in late 2013, I ordered the quadapod stand from Transworld. Instead of the heavy duty, one-piece folding steel stand shown in the website's preview video at the time, I received a baffling collection of junk parts that had to be carefully fitted together to make an extremely flimsy stand that barely held the antenna upright. Unfortunately, the way my antenna was built precludes using a normal tripod or other third-party stand to hold it in place, so I was stuck with the cheap stand.

When the antenna was upright (the flimsy, poorly designed stand fell apart quite often), it worked wonderfully. I made lots of contacts, worked over 100 DX entities, and received great reports on the quality of my signal.

After only 14 months of use, the stand became completely useless. Every single part was bent and/or broken beyond any hope of repair. This was supposed to be an antenna designed to be used at Field Day events, during DXpeditions, and for Summits on the Air. It could not even handle being kept in my backyard. The one time that I had to transport it to another location, I had to be extremely careful not to lose the small pieces that held the flimsy legs into the center part of the stand. As of right now, the antenna is more or less worthless to me. I am not allowed to permanently install an antenna here, and there's no way I'm going to waste another $90 on such a horrible stand.

The antenna itself rates 5/5. It functions very well as a compromise HF antenna with a very easy way of switching between bands. I used it to make more than 1500 CW, digital, and SSB contacts over the five bands it covers. Keep in mind that I have an older steel frame, not the newer aluminum one that seems to be offered now, so this part of the review only covers the older antenna system.

The quadrapod stand rates 0/5. It's awful. I hated having to constantly reassemble this stand while at home, and it almost ruined Jamboree of the Air for my son's Boy Scout troop when I transported it to a local campground a few months ago. A portable antenna system should never be flimsy or rely on small, easily bent parts!

The fabric carrying case I bought along with the stand is very high quality, and I recommend it for transporting and storing this antenna system. Sadly, that is where my antenna will remain until I can find a new stand that will properly support it.
W5WSS Rating: 5/5 Dec 20, 2014 21:27 Send this review to a friend
Excellent design and worksmanship a real Gem!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I installed the TW2010 upstairs indoors.

Everything and more, exceeded my expectations.

I worked DX on every band today and the antenna system performed flawlessly during it's debut.

Great product Transworld!
N0YXE Rating: 5/5 Oct 24, 2014 15:22 Send this review to a friend
ELEVATED TW2010  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I've finally done what many have wondered about. I put a TW 2010 with control cables up in the attic and had my fingers crossed that it would work; do I have too much other stuff around it and would I have to re-tune the coils? No to both questions. I live in a single level home without a second floor. Therefore, the attic is where I have placed an Alpha Delta DX-EE and the Transworld 2010. The two are somewhat close, but not on top of each other. The Transworld sits above the kitchen. The antenna sounds better than the other antennas I have used. The band switching is true and accurate. Below are the results from My MFJ test meter:

28.300 1:4

18.110 1.8

14.225 2.2
14.240 2.1
14.300 2.0

Overall it looks descent and what needs a little lowering is not too difficult with the IC 756 PRO III on-board tuner. Good luck wIth your elevated TRANSWORLD.
N0YXE Rating: 5/5 Aug 10, 2014 14:13 Send this review to a friend
EXCELLENCE DEFINED  Time owned: more than 12 months
Yes, I have had all of the Transworld products at one time or another. My TR farm is pictured under the "comments" section in the Transworld Antenna brochure, and it was a wonderful set-up. Unfortunately, the homes association gestapo found out and stirred the evil that lies in men's souls. I received a summons to attend a circuit court hearing and after paying $1,200 to the attorney representing the association, I was able to get it dismissed. I am now re-purchasing the TR system and having it placed in the attic. I still have a Backpacker model to move to the front of the house for another station set-up. My E-MAIL has been changed since my last review: Read what Gordon West has had to say about it. He has the last word on a great product.
K1QF Rating: 5/5 Jul 6, 2014 17:19 Send this review to a friend
Still Amazing  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned this antenna for 6 years, and it still continues to amaze me with its performance. For five years I operated from an electrically noisy environment in Princeton, NJ with just 100 watts and HOA restrictions. There was very little DX that I was unable to reach. Contacting the Swains Island DxPedition in September 2012 was a very pleasant surprise. The antenna is now in Cape Cod in a small wooded area next to my house, and it is still knocking out DX - most recently Namibia and Senegal. This is THE answer for anyone with limited space or HOA restrictions. In these situations it is a bargain.
WA2OYG Rating: 5/5 Jul 6, 2014 13:27 Send this review to a friend
Impressive performance  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I had heard about this little marvel from WB0SND when I was buying spare finals for my vintage TR-4CW. Read the reviews here but was a little skeptical (I am an engineer). I am antenna challenged because of HOA covenants and was running an end fed in my attic (an Ultimax 100). The attic location is stealthy, but noisy. The noise level was high on all my rigs (the TR4, TS 130S and TS590S). So I bit the bullet and ordered the remotely tunable 2010 with the portable base. Pricey, but I figured I needed options on 20 meters and higher frequencies. Am I surprised with how this little antenna works with the TS-590S!! It is on ground level inside a little plastic lattice-work gazebo structure I built around it to keep it even more stealthy (it looks like a big bird feeder, hi hi). I didn't bother to try to fine tune the 2010's coils, seeing by the specs the Kenwood's autotuner would take care of things. Now obviously propagation has a lot to do with it it, but if I can hear the DX, I can work it. Today, 15 meters opened up a bit and in short order I worked Mexico, Portugal, Spain and Austria (58 to 59) with 100 watts out. All I can say is that it works for me and would suggest that if you either need stealth or want an easily transportable antenna for Field Day or vacation, give this serious consideration. Just remember, you get what you pay for.