Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Portable (not mobile) | TransWorld Antennas TW2010 Traveler HF Portable Vertical Antenna Help

Reviews Summary for TransWorld Antennas TW2010 Traveler HF Portable Vertical Antenna
TransWorld Antennas TW2010 Traveler HF Portable Vertical Antenna Reviews: 83 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $399
Description: The TW2010 Traveler® is the perfect antenna if you are searching for high performance DX communications in a portable package.

Traveler® provides five-band, omni-directional communications in an easy-to-assemble package that requires no radial ground system or towers and is designed for operators requiring stealth performance.

The black powder coating assures stealth performance for Hams who operate in areas with deed restrictions or other areas prohibiting permanently installed antennas and towers.

A low take-off angle — an outcome of the modified-H design — produces maximum skip for successful DX transmissions and contact.

Traveler® can be assembled in minutes for either permanent installation on a mounting rod or temporary setup using a sturdy, optional quadrapod.

You can write your own review of the TransWorld Antennas TW2010 Traveler HF Portable Vertical Antenna.

N3PZT Rating: 5/5 May 12, 2014 09:28 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My TW2010 is on an elevated mount on the top of an 8' pine tree stump about 50' from my house and works like a champ. I used a 45" section of 1 1/4" ID PCV pipe and the antenna is rock solid. VSWR's are near flat on all 5 phone bands, even at 400-500w with my Elecraft KPA-500 amp. I don't even need to use an ATU. Stewart WI3J
K3PRN Rating: 5/5 Feb 20, 2014 06:05 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: more than 12 months
Last Fall I began using my TW2010 Traveler antenna full time at my HOA townhouse site. I live in Annapolis, MD at about 20' above sea level. I have worked Australia, Japan, Scandinavian, Europe, South America, and Asian Russia. I am working on my DXCC and have about 70+ countries. I only operate PSK31 with 50 watts using a Yaesu Mark V Field, Signalink USB interface, and HRD/DM780.I realize that band conditions have been very good but the antenna really performs. The only cons are the price about $600 with the optional quad base and the require min. coax length of 75'. I can hardily recommend this antenna for people that are in HOA areas and or require a portable antenna that can be set up very quickly.
DJ0RD Rating: 5/5 Feb 19, 2014 06:30 Send this review to a friend
Still Fantastic  Time owned: more than 12 months
Update of my update. FT5ZM Amsterdam Island, got him on 12M SSB. This antenna continues to delight me. Vy 73 de Bob DJ0RD/WU5T
W8BCJ Rating: 5/5 Feb 11, 2014 18:28 Send this review to a friend
Better than expected!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought late last year, but only got it set up at my Florida home today. Running 100 watts, worked a bunch of Caribbean stations, South Africa, Angola (Africa), several Europeans and South American stations. Used both CW and SSB, and made contacts on 10, 15, 17, and 20 meter. I live in an HOA community, and this antenna is perfect, so far. No complaints from the neighbors or HOA nazis. Check it out if you live in an HOA community; highly recommend it. Will be adding the 40 meter center section for my next vacation here, in May or June.
G0GDA Rating: 5/5 Feb 1, 2014 01:54 Send this review to a friend
TW2010L Great Performance  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Hi all
I am writing to express my delight in the performance of the 2010L antenna.
I called at the local emporium Martin Lynch & sons with a view to purchasing either a
Superstick or Buddy Stick - both around £160 GBP. I was steered away from those
products by Richard the boss and your antenna was recommended as being excellent.
The price over here in the U.K. had just been reduced to £299 GBP and was now excellent
value and 2/3 the price of the Buddy Pole which is etortionate at £450 GBP
I flogged the cat, sent the wife out to work - took a leap of faith and bought your antenna.
Yesterday - when there was finally a break in the rain for 5 mins I went up to a local park
and stopped somewhere in the car park the location is in Kent S/E England about 40 miles
East of London. ( Loc JO 01 HH ) The hight being around 200ft asl. I assembled the antenna in
about 2 mins flat - plonked it down anywhere adjacent to the car- set it to 10m and tuned round
the band. I was using an FT857 running off a stand alone car battery so only 12v not 13.8
therefore output power would be down. My first contact was RM22DX the OlympicSpecial Event
Station in Russia with a 5x9. I then had many contacts on different bands with reports never
less than 5x6. I finished my little excursion with a contact on 17m with Ross W1RAB in
Gloucester MA with a 5x5 / 5x6 - a fair old trip from S/E U.K.
To sum it up I was blown away with the results and would thoroughly recommend the
TW aerial to anyone and look forward to many hours of use - well done lads.

Nigel G0GDA U.K.
AC5G Rating: 5/5 Jan 3, 2014 13:29 Send this review to a friend
Quick and Easy  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have had the antenna for about 6 months now and have used it often for both fixed (at home QTH) and portable use.

I have mounted it using the supplied Quad feet and also on a balcony about 14 feet up. (It works about the same in either case.)

I have compared it to several other stealth and indoor antennas, many of them full size. In all cases the TW2010 outperformed or was just as good as the comparison antennas. In most cases it was actually significantly better. When limited to just DX, it was always better. (By a bunch.) The low angle works as claimed. BW on all bands is excellent.

It is well made and has held up well. I plan to order the 40M center section, soon.
K4BSC Rating: 5/5 Dec 8, 2013 08:12 Send this review to a friend
First Japan QSO  Time owned: more than 12 months
Worked my first Japanese contact with this antenna on 10 meters, 100 Watts, SSB. No one from the Home Owners Association have ever mentioned it as it is hidden in the bushes on the back of my property. I also have the 40 meter version and am just as pleased with its versatility for both NVIS and DX.
NE2I Rating: 5/5 Sep 24, 2013 07:05 Send this review to a friend
Portable DX Machine  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Worked VK6ANC through the pileup a couple days ago.
QRP! Easy setup and simple to operate. Next to try out the 40 meter box! Recommended for folks who op portable from the woods or beach. also the carry bag is quality and packs the whole setup nicely.
KJ4YLO Rating: 5/5 Jun 23, 2013 19:04 Send this review to a friend
Amazing Antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
Just closed the books on Field Day 2013. I did FD 2013 and FD 2012 with this antenna. Also numerous weekend beach and mountain trips have been made. Several times i have just set it up in my back yard to continue experiencing my amazement that this small 8 foot tall antenna can perform the way it does. Fellow operators look at it and say - you are working all those contacts on 20 and 10 with that? Just today someone said that 10m was dead. I flipped the switch on the TW control box, changed bands on the radio, found a freq and called CQ field day. I then just ran the contacts until I chose to quit.

I am operational before they can even unpack! I am packed and ready to go home before they can even loosen their ropes.

This is a very pricey antenna and worth the money. I have a very nice LPDA and high quality wires, verticals, etc. It is 2-3 s units down from my LPDA but holds its own with the wires better than 75% of the time.

My only complaint is the control box connectors. I wish it was a molex plug type connector. I have constantly awaited the failure of the factory connectors but can say they have held their own.

Build and finish quality is superb.

I do not hesitate to recommend this antenna.
G4ABX Rating: 5/5 Jun 16, 2013 05:57 Send this review to a friend
Good things come in small packages!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'll sum this antenna up in one word -- 'interesting'
It works. Actually it works rather well.
Its not a 3 element beam at 20 metres but it is quite an interesting solution for those of us without the space for an antenna farm or even a small tower.
I bought mine second hand. It came with one of the connectors cut off the selection cable and in the UK, the connectors are impossible to replace.
This is an 'old version' so the nice people at TransWorld hadn't a clue about the cable colour codes and because of the matching coils in the antenna unit, it was not straight forward to trace the connections. However with judicious use of a low-ohm meter, I manged to work out what was what.
I purchase the Quadrastand -- from their UK agent - for a cool £124.30!
So having set it up in the garden --- on some of our decking, (not exactly high-conductivity!) how does it work?
Well it seems to be pretty well matched out of the box -- so I imagine someone else has spent time squeezing and pulling coils in the Antenna. So with 10 watts from my K3 on 15meters I thought I would try a loud JA (589) as the Asian Contest was in full swing.
It took 3 calls but I worked him!
I then increased power to 100 watts and worked another then another and another. I swapped to my OCF 80M dipole for a comparison and it was a bit 'swings and roundabouts' The TW2010 was better with some signals, worse with others. It wasn't consistent. Far-off DX was generally better on the TW2010 but not always. My 80M dipole was quieter by some 4dB than the TW2010 on 15M but on other bands it was nosier by a similar amount.
I worked 15 stations in 30 minutes including Taiwan, Kazakhstan, Greece, Israel, Singapore, Thailand and Saudi Arabia.
I then fired up my new ACOM 1000 (What a GREAT piece of kit!)
The TW2010 didn't bat an eyelid. 400 watts CW and a host more JA's and Asian contacts in the log.
So would I guy this antenna at full price (which is a LOT in the UK with shipping and 20% VAT added)-- maybe. But for £200 + £120 for the stand in the UK, I'll keep it. Good for portable (Its amazingly quick to set up) and for my antenna restricted home.
Bruce G4ABX