Reviews Categories | QRP Radios (5 watts or less) | NCG Company 7/21/50 Help

Reviews Summary for NCG Company 7/21/50
NCG Company 7/21/50 Reviews: 7 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: Triband transceiver with built-in power supply
(Web site missing—add URL)

You can write your own review of the NCG Company 7/21/50.

KG4YMC Rating: 5/5 Jan 5, 2010 19:13 Send this review to a friend
still going strong , not much to add, great radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
Since, last review I have gotten throu a pileup and worked fairbankds ala and hawaii with it . Still great radio !!!!!. It can take a beating from qrb on 40 and 21 sometimes. But with no notch , and not all the bells and whiles does great. I still get great audio reports, most cannot belive it is onely ten watts, can recomend use best coax you can afford, but works geat with g5rv and mfj mobile tuner. IT seems to love wire antennas,,Even if one day get 718 or better radio , I will still keep the ncg mod 7 21 50 , if you can find one , keep it . kg4ymc have worked fairbanks ak and hawaii. now if onely it had spell check , heck to get old , mabey this thing will outlast me hi , really been great radio , I can recomend , 73 terry .

KG4YMC Rating: 5/5 Jan 7, 2009 06:15 Send this review to a friend
great little qrp radio , with 'spunk" nothing fancy  Time owned: months
got mine from a local club, was from a 'silent key" estate. It works great with my g5rv,and a mfj mobile tuner. When first got tec liscense was great on six, and may still be if ever get around to putting 6 meter antenna back up, and band opens up. I am enjoying useing 40 and l5 with it since got upgraded to general . I have talked to belgium, switherland , nigeria. and island of rotunda with it on 40 and l5. On six it did great stateside and from my qth to bermuda and caymond is and canada. Even tho it is 10 watts, audio reports I get say it sounds as good as ' big guns " I call it my little radio with ' attitude' . like the solid feel of it , no plastic case, no computer menu headaches just solid radio . wish it did have a null filter , and split caability , but the reciver is hot!! pretty stable, good audio with stock dynaiic mike. good base starter radio . reliable a keeper.. kg4ymc have to work to made contacts compared to big guns and fancyer radio , but was satifying when broke pileup , and got thru to belgium!! can surprizingly hold owne on 40 at night even with qrb if not to bad, but it is qrp type, but can hold it owne , for being low power. fun getting good reports from from big guns that think it is 100 watts !

RADIOWEENIE Rating: 5/5 Apr 6, 2007 05:28 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had one of the NCG 7/21/50 radios with 3 dipoles in the attic. Radio worked flawlessly. The receiver is as good as any i have ever used. Unfortunately, my then "significant other" decided to sell all my NCG radios out from under me. The Stwertniks have always been extremely helpful and accommodating. I have bought many things from NCG/Comet and look forward to more business with them in the future.

VR2XMQ Rating: 5/5 May 23, 2004 23:42 Send this review to a friend
Good Radio  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Special thanks go to Rod, KH7L for helping find one in very good condition.

It has great audio on RX/TX and the RX is a hot one on 6 meters. I love this radio!

Heart in the right place. It is my second favorite (only second to National Panasonic RJX661).

Thanks again Rod!

KH7L Rating: 4/5 Dec 20, 2003 05:19 Send this review to a friend
Great tri-band base rig  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
These are the 3 most popular bands in Japan. It has the same bands as the TYP HT-750. 10 watts output and comes with a built-in CW filter. It is not state-of-the-Art equipment but works great as a back-up rig. I often just flip the switch to check 6 meters or 40 meters NVIS. Has a nice solid sound to it.

G4VSQ Rating: 4/5 Apr 2, 2001 20:14 Send this review to a friend
Great fun and practical too  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Thanks to Caity (KU4QD) who helped me greatly, I managed to buy one of these sets in late 2000 from eBay. I collect and use esoteric and unusual Ham and broadcast radios and this one is certainly unusual.

You can see Caity's review for all the background details about the radio. Note that although the radio has a built in power supply, it operates from 117 Volts. I'm in the UK where we use 240 Volts AC, so I had to use my Voltage converter to power the internal PSU. I soon gave up doing this and ran the set from my 13.8 Volts bench power supply instead. Current draw is low, especially compared to some modern sets.

The NCG 7/21/50 wasn't imported into the UK as far as I know, so it's certainly unusual!

The set itself has a very substantial feel to it and is very easy to use. The receiver is fair to good, but does sufffer from overloading on 40m at night here in Europe, where we have much higher signal levels than in the USA. Unfortunately, there is NO attenuator to help with this problem. I also noted some breakthrough from broadcast stations on 21 MHz.

Transmitted audio is very good indeed and CW keying has a good shape. I found the set gave me 12 Watts out on 7 MHz, 9 Watts out on 21 MHz and about 8 Watts out on 50 MHz. It's nominally 10 Watts, all bands.I managed to work ZS (South Africa) on 6m with just the 8 Watts on SSB, and so far have worked about 80 countries on 40m and 15m.

The radio has been reliable so far and I really enjoy using it. It's quite large for relatively few bands but looks nice in the shack. I'd recommend one if you like this mid-80's style. The lack of features is more than made up for by character and simplicity of use.

KU4QD Rating: 4/5 Apr 12, 2000 14:42 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding on the base, not for portable operatio  Time owned: unknown months
The NCG Company, best known for importing Comet antennas, also imported this little gem in the mid to late 1980's. It was manufactured for the Japanese Novice market by National Radio (a/k/a Matsushita or Panasonic).

The rig is about the size of Kenwood's QRP rigs, such as the TS-120V and TS-130V, but it includes a built in power supply. Even if you look at today's tiny radios, like the SGC-2020, by the time you add a power supply you are up to the size of this rig, so it is still a small box even today for QRP base operations, and is great to pack up and go work with somewhere for the traveler, but it consumes far too much power for battery operated, portable work and it's too big and heavy for carrying along out in the field. It will operate either on 12V DC or 110V AC.

The rig covers 6, 15, and 40 meters only, SSB and CW, with a maximum output power of 10 watts. The 7/21/50 has an outstanding receiver and a more than adequate SSB filter. The CW filter is an audio filter, so it's not as narrow as it could be. The transmit and receive audio quality is excellent, and reports I receive indicates the rig has lots of "punch", which actually makes it possible to get into the middle of pileups, even with 10 watts and a wire antenna. An LED ALC indicator is provided for proper adjustment of mic. gain. The rig has a delta-F (RIT) control, and a pretty effective noise blanker, but no other tools for fighting QRM, so for base use you might want to add a good DSP. It also has no capacity for working split.

Construction of the rig is very solid, and mine has never failed in 13 years. It has no microprocessor, and should be easy to maintain thanks to the lack of many proprietary parts. The blue flourescent display, typical of Kenwoods of the same era, is bright, clear, and dead-on accurate, and the rig is extremely stable. The 7/21/50 only covers 50-51 mhz on 6 meters, which is fine since the rest of the band is FM and RC anyway.

If you are looking for a solid, unusual, simple base QRP rig, and like the three bands provided, the NCG 7/21/50 is a good choice. If you want bells and whistles, or something very portable, it's not for you.