Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Kenwood TM-D710A Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood TM-D710A
Kenwood TM-D710A Reviews: 70 Average rating: 4.2/5 MSRP: $599.95
Description: The TM-D710 Data Communicator 144/440 MHz Dual Bander has the following features:
APRS Ready
APRS Weather Station ready
KSS II+ (kenwood Skycommand II+)
NMEA 0183 GPS I/O port
Built-in 1200/9600 bps TNC
Echolink Ready
High RF Power Output (V/U: 50 watt)
1000 multifunction Memory Channels
Dual Receive on same band (V+V, U+U)
NOAA Weather Alert/RX (US Only)
Voice Guidance & Storage option (VGS-1)
MCP Compatible with ARRL "TravelPlus"

You can write your own review of the Kenwood TM-D710A.

W6KKO Rating: 5/5 Nov 29, 2015 18:30 Send this review to a friend
So good I bought two!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I own two and use them for the mobile and QTH. Paired with the Greenlight Labs GPS, the radios work very well. I often use 50W simplex while mobile with zero problems. No problem with repeaters using 5 or 10 watts when I'm deep in the trees of the Sierra Nevada range, or down on the valley floor of 6 land.

APRS is easy and I haven't had a problem sending packets to the ISS when nearby. The AIP feature works well for me as I am plagued with public service RFI from just a mile away.

Kenwood D710 software works well on a Windows 8 tablet allowing me to easily clone the radios. I installed a VGS1 voice module as well and enjoy the features that offers. It even speaks Japanese on the voice guide, if selected, keeping me up to speed.

Crossband operation is plenty of fun and the D710 makes it easy. Whether operating near the home or using the mobile with an HT, I enjoy taking full advantage of what this radio has to offer. The wide receive range is also a plus as I scan one side of programmed memories and leave the other free for APRS, simplex, or monitoring a repeater.

Finally, the TNC allows me to easily send and receive email via Winlink and RMS Express software on the D710.

* One last thing. I encountered the infamous filter problem with one of the radios. I had it back within a week and only paid to ship it to the West Coast repair center. While not all of these radios have that bad batch of filters, Kenwood's acceptance and resolution of the problem earned plenty of goodwill around here.

I previously used a Yaesu FT-7800R for the mobile, and while it is a well performing radio, the D710 is simply rich with more features that I use.

WN3R Rating: 5/5 Jun 29, 2015 13:44 Send this review to a friend
Warranty repair still available  Time owned: more than 12 months
My TM-D710A, serial 90900058 was repaired in just six days at no charge for a deaf receiver. They replaced four defective filters.
L72-0999-05
L72-1034-05
L72-1035-05
L72-1036-05

Very nice of Kenwood for such an old radio.

IZ4UFQ Rating: 4/5 May 27, 2015 10:37 Send this review to a friend
Quite perfect but found an annoying issue  Time owned: more than 12 months
I own 2 TM-D710E (European version) and I use them for APRS both at home and in car. I have replaced ceramic filters in one of the radios. Apart from that I have had no issues with these radios.

But I have just discovered an annoying issue with the TNC. When the TNC is switched on the head unit emits a carrier on 431.312.5 Mhz, which happens to be the frequency for RU19a repeater. This carrier is not strong enough to enter the antenna when used at home with the antenna on the roof, but it is strong enough to enter the antenna when used in car. Adding ferrite beads to the head unit connection cable helps but is not enough.

I have been hit by this issue when a new local repeater has been set up exactly at this frequency.

I have talked to other hams that own the 710E and also the new 710GE model, and all of them confirmed the issue. The TNC in the TH-D72 HT does not show this behaviour.

KB9SZX Rating: 4/5 Mar 4, 2015 14:20 Send this review to a friend
Super radio, Awesome Support  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I purchased my rig second had from another ham that was having issues with the "a" band selector button. Checking out the rig when I received it revealed a bad pullup resistor for this button's input to the micro controller. I have no Idea how the pull up resistor when bad....it showed 2.5 V without the button pressed. Which, is neither 0vdc or 5 vdc which yeilded random results. Simple enough, wired in a new 1/8w pullup and all has been well since. I also installed my mini gps module in the control head, with excellent results. Great radio for mobile APRS, excellent crossband repeat. My model is a later serial, and does not suffer from the filter issue. My only gripe is the 90's text style interface for sending messages. being able to interface a USB keyboard, or Bluetooth for that matter would be most excellent! But hey, always room for improvement. Also, with so many reviews of Chinese radio owners being left high and dry with NO service manuals or tech support, I have to give High regard to Kenwood for support after the sale. EVEN TO THE SECOND OWNER! I have always had technical questions answered the same day.....will be a Kenwood customer for some time to come!

W5KVV Rating: 5/5 Jan 28, 2015 23:41 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased my early serial# 710 used from a local friend & fellow ham. It was his full time mobile, so it had been put thru the paces. I knew full well of the possible issues with the filters, namely those on the UHF side. This rig was installed in my 2nd mobile & performed flawless for a year. Sold the mobile, so the 710 replaced a TM-281 in the shack.

Super easy to program from the front panel as with all Kenwood rigs. The large display is a huge plus. The ability to display frequncy & alpha tags simultaneously is a huge improvement over the 281 & 71A. Well laid out menu & funtion keys on the front panel are a plus. APRS & TNC setup is a snap if you know what you're doing, however a novice to APRS will find themselves doing a little digging in the owners manual & on the internet for help.

After some time in the shack, my 710 developed issues with the filters on the UHF side. Basically the UHF side went deaf. A common issues with the early run of TM-D710A rigs. It's well documented & Kenwood will repair the issue if you wish to spend the money. Alternatively, there are fixes on the internet if you should be so bold as to attempt repairs yourself.

All in all these are great dual band rigs. Since they're no longer in production, anyone looking to pick up a used 710 needs to be aware of the issues associated with the early serial # rigs, namely the filters. It's not a matter of IF they will fail, it's a matter of WHEN. I still give this rig a 5* review due to the fact that the said issues were with the early production radios. I also own a late model 710A & it has had NONE of the issues associated with the pre 2009 radios. Flawless in every aspect.

My early production 710 has been repurposed as a digipeater & has been working non stop for a year as such with no issues from the TNC or the VHF side.

GREGWTH7MMMAG Rating: 5/5 Aug 3, 2014 19:22 Send this review to a friend
Great radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned mine for a little over a year now, using it for APRS as well as for digital modes. Compared to the menus on Yaesu and Icom, the Kenwood is much easier to navigate thru. The D710 screen is much easier to see vs the other dual band mobiles as well. My only gripe about this radio, is having to use a serial to usb adapter to connect it to my computer.

KD5NDU Rating: 5/5 Mar 19, 2014 10:53 Send this review to a friend
very good radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had mine for about a year now. And also got the GPS unit with it. I use for apes cross band. And I have use the remote control from a ht. I in in joy the radio a lot. for a mobile vhf UHF radio. it does almost anything you want it to do.

KF7DOJ Rating: 1/5 Dec 27, 2013 09:18 Send this review to a friend
Display unit connection problems  Time owned: more than 12 months
This unit is installed in my trail rig. Until recently it was used solely for off-road trips. On the trail I noticed the connection from the display unit, attached to the windscreen, to the head unit, under the seat, dropped and the unit would turn off. The connection is via a cable with a common RJ45 connector. Thinking it was the RJ45 connection I crimped a new connector to the cable. The connection still dropped.
After calling Kenwood customer service I was told I need a new cable. $40 later I got a new cable from Pac Parts. With my re-crimped cable I could get the display unit to work by pressing against the connector, not so with the new cable from Pac Parts, nothing.
Second call to Kenwood -- I'm told it's my radio and my problem and that I need to call Pac Parts again. I did get a exploded view of the unit so I could tell Pac Parts what I need.
If there is any east-west play in the display unit connection I'd return it and ask for a replacement. I have a friend who purchased the same unit. His works great.
I expected more from Kenwood, from both the product and customer support.
This is my first mobile unit so my experience to other manufactures is limited. The other radio I own is a Yeasu handheld.

SV1JRF Rating: 5/5 Apr 19, 2013 10:12 Send this review to a friend
Amazing -Reliable  Time owned: more than 12 months
I just bought my second D710 for my car. That says it all... (The first is installed in my QTH)

N2EAC Rating: 5/5 Feb 24, 2013 10:27 Send this review to a friend
Not Cheap, But Close To Perfection  Time owned: more than 12 months
I matched mine up to an AvMap GeoSat g5 - an expensive way to get set up for APRS. The display is easy to read regardless of the angle of the sun's reflection in the display and both the tx and rx audio are 1st class. I usually look to ICOM (I have an IC-2800H, which in my mind was the gold standard in its time - except the original mic t/r switch was rubbish and I had to upgrade to the HM-133) and I also had an ICOM IC-207H (but is just wore it out), but the IC-2820H just does not measure up to the Kenwood. I don't care what radio of the same class (v/v, u/u. v/u with APRS capability) you buy today there is a learning curve. All I can say is this ICOM loyalist found great level of quality in the construction of the Kenwood, it's manual is well written and this radio marries up to the AVMAP seamlessly. Needless to say this radio not cheap, but it is worth evaluation. 73, N2EAC, Ed