Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Portable (not mobile) | MFJ-1625 80-6 Meter Window/Balcony Antenna w/ Built In Tuner Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-1625 80-6 Meter Window/Balcony Antenna w/ Built In Tuner
MFJ-1625 80-6 Meter Window/Balcony Antenna w/ Built In Tuner Reviews: 2 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $199.95
Description: Complete antenna system mounts on window frames, balconies, and railings. Perfect for apartment dwellers. Covers 80-6 Meters. Includes universal mount/clamp, built-in antenna tuner with RF isolator, long 12 foot telescopic whip (22.5 inches collapsed), high efficiency loading coil for 40/80 Meters, counterpoise wires, and safety rope. Handles 200 Watts.
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/products.php?prodid=MFJ-1625

You can write your own review of the MFJ-1625 80-6 Meter Window/Balcony Antenna w/ Built In Tuner.

KD8SAV Rating: 4/5 Sep 14, 2012 17:49 Send this review to a friend
Good performance for window mounted antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've been back on the air since July after 30 years.
Where I'm at this was the handiest antenna I could put up without any outside antenna. It's in my window about 12 feet off of the ground. Using counterpoise wires cut for 20 and 15 meters, I've been able to work 45 countries, with 22 confirmed through LOTW, mostly in Europe, Russia, South America, and the Caribbean, with one in New Zealand.
I was unable to get the antenna to get the swr down to usable levels on 80 and 40 meters, even with the coil. This antenna works pretty well, though on 20 thru 10 meters, and this is with just the whip and no coil.
For the situation I'm in for now, with no possibility of putting a larger antenna, I am definitely satisfied. If someone wants to use this, they just have to be aware of the limitations of an antenna sticking out their window.

CT2GET Rating: 4/5 Jul 26, 2007 02:27 Send this review to a friend
Best portable solution available for the price  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently buy a MFJ-1625 80-6 Meter Window/Balcony Antenna w/ Built In Tuner, I have a FT-897D and I was thinking about the ATAS-120A and the counterpoise kit (the perfect marriage for my radio but too expensive), I have some antenna restrictions (space mainly) and I want a light transportable antenna ease to install and de-install so I decide, with some reserve, to buy this one because it seem more versatile and cheaper. I was expecting some efficiency from 20m to 10m, but this antenna as prove to work on 40m and 80m also, I estimate a 5% efficiency on 80m and 10% efficiency on 40m, not much but enough for PSK31 operation on this bands and with some luck some SSB too. On 20m and high bands this antenna behaves almost like a full size vertical the higher the better.
The big advantage of this antenna is the big telescopic radiator that can be adjusted too you space needs or to tune the antenna for 6m operation. This antenna is very easy to tune, if you canít tune it first read and follow your instruction manual if you still canít tune it your problem is the counterpoise or your RF ground, this antenna really needs a good ground. The VSWR is less than 1,5 on all bands after tune. The counterpoise kit is perfect for apartment balcony operation (my case, were there is no RF ground possible on a third floor) the built-in tuner gives you control of the RF current and is able to maximize it thru the counterpoise knob. The MFJ-63 loading coil is really a High Q coil, and thatís why this antenna woks relatively well on the low bands. The built in tuner could by it self tune the antenna but there would be no signal living this antenna whit only 3,6 meters radiator on the low bands.
I live in Portugal and I didnít think that the mounting bracket could be a problem, well it was. This bracket was made having in mind the American type of window not the common European window, anyway this bracket is full of surprises and it ended, after other experiences too suite me best, mount on a professional camera tripod. Bee aware, the tripod I use can be mount ground flat and it stands loads like 12 Kg, now I have a camera and an antenna fighting for a tripod ;). Unfortunately the universal mount/clamp canít stand by itself, it needs the help of a C-Clamp or anything else.
This product fulfils my expectation, after 8 weeks of operation the telescopic whip didnít break (be careful with the strong wind) and the built in antenna turner still tune. After all this is not a heavy duty product and it was not built to be at the rain, snow or strong wind. Until now I have no problems with RF feedback and Iím able to mount the antenna and tune it in less than 5 minutes, if you donít have space for antennas I think this is the best available commercial solution for the price.