Reviews Categories | QRP Radios (5 watts or less) | Tokyo Hy-Power HT-750 Help

Reviews Summary for Tokyo Hy-Power HT-750
Tokyo Hy-Power HT-750 Reviews: 6 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $630 (approx.)
Description: 6, 15, and 40 meter SSB/CW handheld transceiver
More info: http://www.thp.co.jp

You can write your own review of the Tokyo Hy-Power HT-750.

KF6IRK Rating: 5/5 Jul 5, 2009 22:21 Send this review to a friend
Cool little radio !  Time owned: more than 12 months
The subject of this radio came up during a local 75M rag chew this evening. I Google'd it for one of the guys and read the reviews here, and wondered why I hadn't posted anything yet? ... so here it is:

I saw one of these in a local ham store back in the '90's but it was somewhat expensive for me at the time. I happened across a nice used one several years ago and it's definitely a blast to play with.

The HT-750 is a quality built unit and I'm glad I found a good one. It arrived in like new condition with the original box, OP manual, and the 15M & 40M loaded whip antennas. An 'after market' 6M whip was easy enough to construct.

I also constructed a nylon case to protect the radio, a quiver for the antennas and a pouch for some spare alkaline batteries (it does eat them).

The HT-750 has accompanied me on numerous trips up and down the Pacific coast and over to Catalina Island a couple of times.

It's really light weight and compact, and it works very well for only 3 watts output. As stated by others, the RX is great. Let me add that a bare foot in the salt water actually helps when using the telescopic whips, esp. on 40M.

Although I don't use it too often these days, I would find it hard to part with this little gem.

KG9E Rating: 5/5 Sep 30, 2008 19:24 Send this review to a friend
This is a fun radio!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This radio got me interested in QRP portable operation. I worked the CW PX contest on 15 meters in the spring using the telescopic whip sitting at a picnic table in one of the Chicago city parks. I worked many stations across the US, Mexico and Canada, and even a PJ2 in Curacao!
Since then, I've worked about a dozen states with simple antennas on 3 watts.
I was still able to order accessories for this radio from the manufacturer and experienced very good response times from Japan.

KH7L Rating: 5/5 May 26, 2002 09:22 Send this review to a friend
Great HF ssb/cw 3 band HT  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
As of May 2002 THP still have a few of these left. They have stopped production in 2000. But made another run in late 2001. The price has also come down due to the weak yen rate.

The radio has a really hot receiver. Also a pre-amp that does seem to work. When Es is in....6 meters on 2 watts is amazing. I work a lot of CW with this rig and my favorite bands are 40 and 15 meters. I attached my keyer and Bencher to this and used a HB ground plane with raised radials.

All this fits in a shoulder bag 10X8x3 inches. My antenna breaks down into 3 foot sections; PVC and aluminum.

W7MRR Rating: 5/5 Oct 7, 2001 18:05 Send this review to a friend
Great Little Rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
Hi All:

I have used this rig over the last 7 years when visiting my parents in Sun City, AZ. I put up a 40 meter inverted vee and operate all three bands on SSB. I have checked into nets and am often told it is hard to believe the audio comes from what appears to be a hand held. I run it off a rechargeable battery. The internal penlight batteries (AA) are carried for back up since they burn out quickly. For those liking CW, it also has a built in keyer. The receiver is really hot when the preamp is turned on and compares favorably with most full size transceivers. The only downside is the price. $600 is a tad high for a rig limited to 3 watts and three bands, but just the same I'll never sell mine. Really fun to operate. I also have an Index Labs QRP+ and a FT-817. Each offer differing features and value per $. Of the three, the Hy-Power HT-750 has the hottest receiver on 15/40 meters. Ron W7MRR

VP9MZ Rating: 5/5 Feb 17, 2001 17:28 Send this review to a friend
Triband HF handheld is great fun...  Time owned: more than 12 months
I primarily used my HT-750 on 6 meters CW, often with a zip-cord dipole but sometimes with the supplied 39" whip - and always on battery power. It was my only 6 mtr rig, and I made hundreds of contacts from Bermuda, mostly US and Caribbean stations but a few Europeans. Now that's QRP.

KU4QD Rating: 5/5 Apr 12, 2000 16:04 Send this review to a friend
The ultimate QRP/portable toy!  Time owned: unknown months
Tokyo Hy-Power introduced the HT-750 almost 10 years ago, and if you go to their web site today, it is still the piece of ham equipment they feature on their home page. Although it's not been imported into the U.S. since the mid '90s, it has been imported directly from THP in Japan by mainly of us QRP fanatics since, and commands very nearly it's new price on the used market. There is a good reason for this: there is nothing else like the HT-750 made anywhere.

As the model number implies, this is a handheld, albeit a big one. It is a very, very functional 6, 15, and 40 meter SSB/CW transceiver with a clear, backlit LCD display. It features an excellent noise blanker, RIT, semi-break in CW, 3 watts output on HF, 2 watts output on 6 meters, a fantastic receiver by any standard, three tuning rates, and yet it's crammed into a handheld package that runs on AA batteries (NiCad or alkaline). Options include a telescopic whip and loading coils for each of the three bands, making it fully self-contained. Can you work people with 3 watts SSB and a pull-up whip for an antenna? You sure can, and the sunspot cycle is cooperating beautifully right now on 6 and 15. Another useful option is a speaker/mic., and I recommend the leather case as well. Tokyo Hy-Power makes two matching amplifiers for turning the rig into a mini base station: the HL-750 puts out 50 watts on all three bands, while the HL-710 puts out 10 watts. The only negative thing I can say about this rig is that it goes through batteries fairly quickly, so bring an extra set or two if you're taking it backpacking or hiking. All in all, I can't imagine a better choice for QRP/portable operation. Nothing is more self-contained, smaller, or lighter, and you have three bands with very different propogation to keep you busy morning, noon, and night. This is absolutely my favorite ham toy of all time.