Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Yaesu FT-817 ND Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-817 ND
Yaesu FT-817 ND Reviews: 93 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $599.00
Description: HF/VHF/UHF 5 Watt All Mode Transceiver - operating 160 M - 7 CM with VHF/UHF portable antenna
More info: http://tinyurl.com/2nshbw

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-817 ND.

R2ABT Rating: 5/5 May 21, 2014 21:03 Send this review to a friend
Second transceiver in my shack  Time owned: more than 12 months
Yaesu FT-817nd was meant to be my first rig, but I was persuaded by experienced HAMs to believe, that the output power of less than 100W is too small for short wave these days to be heard. Thus, my first transceiver was a 100W Kenwood TS-440SAT. It is a very nice radio, but while I was using it, I still felt eager to try something smaller and less powered. I also considered some other QRP rigs like PFR-3 or KX-3, but after careful consideration I decided that FT-817nd was the most appropriate to my needs. All HF bands including LW, MW and SW broadcasting, air band, FM-radio, 2 m and 70 cm VHF everything fits within the small box, packed tightly for your enthralling experiments!

I use very simple antennas like long wire, inverted vee, dipole and delta-loop, and I was able to make numerous interesting QSOs during a year from my QTH in Moscow, including HAMs from Japan and USA in CW mode, as well as the ones from Western Europe, Caucasus region, and Asiatic Russia in SSB. My best result is a contact through the distance of more than 2000 km with only 500 mW output power in CW.

I did not find anything to be disappointed by in this rig. I used it for a long while and experienced only positive emotions from flawless operation and mindful design. In my opinion, FT-817nd is the ideal radio for those who like QRP and QRPP.

AD9Z Rating: 5/5 Apr 9, 2014 06:22 Send this review to a friend
Love this little rig!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had so much fun with this radio! I work mostly cw with it ,but it does a good job on ssb too. I have had great success with the par end fedz 10-20-40 wire. If you enjoy, qrp and portable operations, then you will love this rig!

KF7RSJ Rating: 5/5 Mar 31, 2014 12:29 Send this review to a friend
Excellent radio that remains relevant  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This is my first HF transceiver, and was purchased used, from its original owner. The radio came with a tuner, amp and terminal node controller.

I cannot be more thrilled with what this unit can do. I placed 100ft of 18g polystealth in my attic (making a big loop) and connecting to the transceiver via a 1:1 balun (LDG too) and 25ft of R213. My contacts have been amazing, as far as the Canary Islands East and Christmas Island to the West. My expectations have been completely surpassed, I would have been happy contacting Hawaii.

I did add the Tokyo HyPower 45w amp which certainly makes a difference but am looking forward to packing the unit up and see how we do on some mountain top adventures. The portability and wide variety of accessories have made this unit exceed my expectations by far.

Lastly, I preferred to keep the budget (relatively) smaller and avoid the temptation of spending a lot of money up front. The price point is excellent (again, relatively speaking) for getting on the air.

In summary, all this experience has been on SSB alone. I haven't begun to explore the digital opportunities.

EI3HAB Rating: 5/5 Mar 24, 2014 17:01 Send this review to a friend
Hard on it's internal batteries but still I like it.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I live in Dublin,Ireland but I bought mine from Germany because the seller HD Electronik is an official Yaesu retailer and he modified mine for the North Amercian ham bands and the batteries can be charged when I transmit as well as when the unit is "on charge" . When I am walking around with, it power is quickly lost, it seems to get warm even on receive ! (when I am out walking). However I am very happy with it, does a huge amount for it's small size.

W7RUE Rating: 5/5 Mar 2, 2014 17:07 Send this review to a friend
Super Portable QRP Rig!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had my FT-817ND since July of 2010 and I couldn't ask for a better portable QRP rig! I use it when backbacking and when operating "Hotel Portable" during good atmospheric conditions. It is easier and lighter to transport through the airline/TSA gauntlet and it has its very own special niche in my amateur radio experience. W7RUE

K1PMA Rating: 5/5 Jan 26, 2014 19:16 Send this review to a friend
All band wonderbox.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Always thought QRP was for the birds. More power is better, right? But I recently decided I wanted a radio that would work off any kind of power, included plain old AA batteries. Looked at the Elecraft KX3 but with all the 'extras' that are really necessary the price was just way too high. So I got the FT817ND from HRO Virginia. Free ship, no tax.

First I tried the radio with the included battery pack (1400mAh) but that's very limiting. Got 2300mAh AA rechargable batteries from Amazon and they work way better (about twice as long). Plus they charge much faster with a proper external charger. Back to the radio. When hooked up to my base station G5RV antenna I have made SSB QSO using 5W to WA, and 1W (both ways) to central Florida! Pretty darn amazing. But wait, there's more...2M and 440! Can hit most repeaters in the Raleigh area on the 2.5W setting and guys are always surprised how good I sound when they hear how much power I am on. All in all, this is a great rig, and comes with just about everything you need. For a bug-out type of situation there really is nothing in it's league.

K0RGR Rating: 5/5 Dec 24, 2013 12:39 Send this review to a friend
Swiss Army Knife  Time owned: more than 12 months
I'm on my second FT817. I had one of the original model and now have the ND version.

I recently used the little guy in the phone Sweepstakes contest, and it held up much better than I expected.

I use it for all sorts of chores, whenever I need a portable receiver or transmitter.

AI4WC Rating: 5/5 Dec 24, 2013 07:22 Send this review to a friend
It's a jewel!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've had this radio about 6 weeks (I've wanted one for years). I also have a Yaesu FT-897 and an FT-950. so the menus were familiar. The biggest thing I noticed was the very quiet but at the same time, very sensitive receiver. It is GREAT! I am apartment-bound and must use a 10 meter dipole or Hamstick dipole mounted on my second floor balcony, so I can't expect too much on 5 watts, but during the recent 10 meter contest, I made a voice contact with Chihuahua, Mexico, 1300+ miles away. It has increased my interest and respect for low power operation. In addition to my Kenwood TS-130 and matching AT-130 tuner, what more can I want (except for my own antenna farm)? :o) It will be with me on my future travels, coupled with my Miracle Whip antenna.

KJ4DGE Rating: 5/5 Dec 24, 2013 04:17 Send this review to a friend
Great radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I will not go into a lot of tech details here as others who have this rig either like it or compare it to something it was not meant to be compared to. It is a QRP radio and as such it does a fine job on all bands and all modes. Like any other radio a antenna that is suited for the band is needed to make it shine. don't be fooled by the 5 watts, I kicked my signal down the road 900 miles on 6 meters so it can do the job on HF I am sure. I only had a tech ticket when I had the radio. Wish I still had the little wonder box, but as we all know, food on the table will trump radio's any day of the week. you cannot go wrong with a dusk to daylight rig such as this one, and for the size, truly amazing!

KB1GMX Rating: 4/5 Dec 23, 2013 15:03 Send this review to a friend
handy and does much  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Got mine used over a month ago and have had a blast taking it around with me.

I rate it a 4 because it could have a better receiver in the overload department plus the manual is awkward.

1)It is a small radio.
2)The audio quality is very good (using an replacement speaker..
3)The selectivity of this radio is not as good as my TT Eagle. The sensitivity is good. The selectivity is limited by the installed filters and the up conversion first filter.
4)The battery life is ok. This radio will only output 2.5 watts with the internal battery pack
Manual says it shouldn't and its not lying. An external battery pack such as a AGM 7AH or LIon battery is highly advised. This is the one way to output 5 watts for any length of time. I've use the internal pack with Alkaline cells for ops and they don't last long. The RX sucks down about.3A
which is high for a portable set.
5)The IM rejection capabilities of this radio
depends on the user using the IPO(preamp) and ATT carefully. For its size and price its decent.
6)The AM broadcast band is handy.
7) The radio was tested on 6, 2 and 440.
Sensitivity was good and with a reasonable antenna very useful. Compares to all of my 6M radios for sensitivity.
8) I tested this radio on 2 meters and can tell you it works well for only 5W using a Arrow OSJ146/440 as the Antenna on FM and beams for SSB.
9)I worked three states on 40 meters mobile.
10) The Collins SSB filter has soft skirts but can be replaced with a better model.
11)The Collins filter for CW does make a difference in the performance of the radio.
12) This radio has a small display and I need my glasses to read it. For its size its ok and the menu option of large frequency digits help.
13)Understand that this is a QRP rig and not a
100W Tentec Eagle
14)I have not bothered with the Miracle Whip antenna as its a electrically short antenna and
very poor below 2M. Minimally is needs a counterpoise to load against. The 40M whip on
the truck is only 7ft and its made more than few contacts at 5W SSB. Serious fun begins with a
decent antenna (dipole or EFHW).
15)A tuner is a serious consideration for this radio for portable ops. The Electraft T1 was used with this radio and it is a great companion tuner
16)All in all this radio was way better than my initial first glance. When you add the price of the filters,the tuner, portable antenna system, the 2500mah battery pack, you have a very portable all band radio.
18 When connected to my PAR EF40/20/10 up at 30ft and running 5W I had a lot of SSB fun and world wide contacts.

In general for a compact low power transceiver aimed for portable use its a useful and fun radio.
There are compromises in the design and its fairly old tech radio but it functions well enough and the frequency agility is a hugely useful feature.

Perfect no, a match to many larger and more power hungry base station radios no, but still useful and fun. There are very few radios that offer as much as it does in the same space.

Allison