Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF+UHF models) | Yaesu FT-817 ND Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-817 ND
Yaesu FT-817 ND Reviews: 111 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $599.00
Description: HF/VHF/UHF 5 Watt All Mode Transceiver - operating 160 M - 7 CM with VHF/UHF portable antenna
More info: http://tinyurl.com/2nshbw

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-817 ND.

VK5GI Rating: 5/5 May 7, 2016 23:57 Send this review to a friend
RIPPER  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this wee rig in my home qth for a couple of years now, but this is the first time I've travelled with it. So, I'm sitting on the verandah of my daughter's house in Brisbane, a glass of Sauvignon-blanc in my hand, perfect sunshine. Bliss! The 817 has a bit of a wet noodle attached to it (4state end-fed, home brew) tossed horizontally to a nearby tree at verandah level and I'm listening and working French Polynesia, Hawaii, Norfolk Island and the US west coast.all on 20 metres. Heavens above, what more can an old guy want? Ok, ok, so the battery runs out after an hour or so - next time I try and smuggle my li-po pack onto the plane! A gem of a radio, and I have had them all. So, buy one!

IZ0JGH Rating: 3/5 May 7, 2016 16:44 Send this review to a friend
it should has been improved  Time owned: more than 12 months
They have had plenty of time at Yaesu to improve the FT 817 at least in the followings:
1- a bigger bay for the internal battery and an internal battery of significant more capacity;
2- the use of a standard power plug;
3- less power consumption;
4- a stronger front antenna plug (PL or mini UHF) to support longer whip antennas;
5- a waterproof protection for the front panel;
6- "opening stabilizing bars" at the RTX base, these could made in alluminiom and cut 1/4 long @ 430 MHz to be usable also as dipole elements.

N4MJG Rating: 5/5 Feb 12, 2016 03:19 Send this review to a friend
Still the best radio ever !  Time owned: more than 12 months
I brought this little radio back 2007 right atfer i pass my genereal lic. that made my day pass my test !!!

This year i try my 817ND made contact from NY i try so hard get anyone since it was new as i said finally made contact with this little rig !
This is reason i brought this rig !

love this rig !

Jackie
N4MJG

SWL377 Rating: 5/5 Feb 11, 2016 13:23 Send this review to a friend
Best bang for the buck PERIOD  Time owned: more than 12 months
This rig is a bargain considering all that it does. Being able to run it on internal alkaline or rechargeable AA cells is such a great feature. HF, VHF, UHF all in one nice small package. I own an Icom 703 as well. I prefer the FT 817. Easier on batteries and smaller too. There are many aftermarket upgrades for the FT 817, ranging from IF mech filters to mic compression amps, etc. The stock FT 817 does just fine for SSB. If you are a hardcore CW ham, it could benefit from sharper selectivity. I skydive with my FT 817. 14,500 foot antenna elevation for only $23 per jump. https://parachutemobile.files.wordpress.com/2015/09/all-marks-gear.jpg

2E0VOV Rating: 5/5 Feb 11, 2016 05:37 Send this review to a friend
brilliant  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought mine about 18 months ago and I've never looked back. Its an absolute bargain here in the UK £440 making it in a league of its own.
If you want to be picky, the standard mic is ok but can be improved on cheaply with an Electret insert. But on reflection if you bought a KX3 you wouldnt even get a mic , so thumbs up to Yaesu...
I have worked the world on my Ft817 and my best so far is 18780 miles longpath to JA with just 5w SSB
If you are thinking of buying the FT817, just do it!..
Search YouTube for my Callsign to see what DX this radio delivers with just a wire antenna. 73's Mark

K1WJ Rating: 5/5 Jan 7, 2016 07:12 Send this review to a friend
Nice  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Cool little radio! QC seems very good. Replaced supplied hand mic with MH67 and seems to drive the radio better, but mic gain on ssb at 90-100%. IF shift works very well. Menu and options are easy enough to navigate.Some meter reading are a tad vague (SWR and ALC ). Made 1st 40m QRP QSO, reports were good. Audio with MH67 & mic gain cranked up, reported as strong punch. Strong stations within 2khz of operating freq. will make receiving difficult, optional ssb filter should help with that. Buttons are small and no stand to prop up radio are the downsides I see. So far so good ! Enjoying my 817ND ! 73 K1WJ

M0SAZ Rating: 5/5 Oct 1, 2015 16:15 Send this review to a friend
Best Radio EVER  Time owned: more than 12 months
OK update on how I stand with this radio. I did sell it since my last review, went through a bunch more radios (some high end / expensive), and I have come straight back to the FT-817ND.

Overall, its the best radio ever produced. Think about it. It must be the most sold ham transceiver in history and there are tons of reviews on eHam and other sources that overall are excellent. Its a joy reading the eHam reviews – reading just how many people (like me) have an FT-817 as their only base rig and / or have sold a high end radio and are happier with the “lowly” FT-817 / FT-817ND.

The radio hasn't the receiver of the FTDX-5000 or the K3 but you can’t fit those in your pocket. It hasn't got the ergonomics of an FT-2000 or an IC-756 Pro III but you couldn’t get one new for under £500. It hasn't got a 400w PA like the FTDX-9000MP but with 5 watts and the same antenna, you would only be down several s-points and don’t need to worry about the electricity bill or causing interference.

This radio DOES work well as a shack radio - I am proof (see my QRZ profile / YouTube videos / Blog). It also works well in mobile and portable environments.

Using a TXCO, mechanical filter for your mode choice, headphones and / or external speaker, some bracket for raising the front of the rig up on the desk, a decent Mic, proper use of the carrier offset / IPO / ATT / RF gain, you have some cheap (and free) solutions to making this good radio, great.

As someone who has spent tens of thousands on rigs and sold them - the FT-817 puts the biggest smile on your face and is the ONLY radio you will ever need.

I have 2 - one for base and one for portable / spare.

Mike
M0SAZ

VU2JE Rating: 0/5 Sep 18, 2015 19:59 Send this review to a friend
Blank Display Unusable  Time owned: more than 12 months
This FT-817ND a little over 2 years old, very sparingly and carefully used, does not work now, as its got a blank display.. As there is no service centre for this in india I am forced to scrap it.. shows poor build quality..
Yaesu and Icom and Alinco are not what they used to be.. deteriorating quality, unimaginative products and utterly devoid of any new technology and products .. sad..

ECHOFOX Rating: 5/5 Jul 5, 2015 08:11 Send this review to a friend
I'm Taking it With Me!  Time owned: more than 12 months
The Yaesu FT-817 is no "D", "PRO", nor "K", yet, this deaf as a post, broad as a barn, 5 watt flea is one of Amateur Radio's great rigs.

The configurations and combinations are endless...base, mobile, portable, pedestrian/hand-held, external power, internal batteries, antennas, antennas, ANTENNAS, SO-239, BNC, HF, VHF/UHF and more. In the shack, in the mobile, in the field, in the hand, there ain't nothin', AIN'T NOTHIN' that can do it ALL from anywhere and everywhere quite like the FT-817.

I've made DX contacts with my FT-817ND from impromptu shacks with a wire, while seaside in 4X with a "screw-stick", while walking the dog with HF BNC whips, countless Sporadic-E, Tropo and satellite contacts with a variety of antennas and many, MANY more. A different shack each day. The world is my shack.

The FT-817 is great in the mobile too. At 5 watts, it only draws 2 amps. Just connect it to the lighter/12v and a mag mount antenna. Wedge the rig between the seats...EASY! VHF/UHF FM and SSB, HF DX, SO-239, BNC, each connector selectable by band...Too easy! I get good reports from around town and around the world.

Its back is its bottom, its front is its top. Wow! The agile FT-817 is an acrobat that stands on end. The FT-817's modest size and nimble form enable it to work from ANY position.

Clutched in the left hand, the FT-817 is ergonomically smart to the right handed with its BNC out of the way to the left, its display, VFO, AF/RF Gain, "Select" and other HT sized controls well positioned and it's mic connected to the right side. Clarifier and IF Shift are a touch away.

With its BNC at the "top" and internal batteries, the FT-817 is VERY effective when used hand-held. With a collection of HF/VHF/UHF BNC whips, whether contacts exceed 1000miles/watt HF SSB, 100miles/watt VHF SSB or 10miles/watt VHF/UHF FM, I'm often asked, "Did you say hand-held?".

With no experience, I can't comment on digital or CW, but there are innumerable successes just as diverse as voice...10,000miles/watt.

Every contact is memorable because every contact is an adventure..and a thrill. And with each contact, a story ("There I was,.."). One is always at their Radio Amateur best to get the most out of the FT-817's 5 watts. One will find themselves looking at the '817 after, yet, another great contact in, yet, another configuration from, yet, another QTH, saying, "WOW!..This rig is unFBelivable!".

The FT-817 is even an ambassador for Amateur Radio. When working portable, be prepared to get "those looks" and to demonstrate what Amateur Radio is to the curious.

Do you want to tighten it up? Get a filter. Do you want to mod this versatile rig? There's a cottage industry supporting the FT-817.

Great but aging, the FT-817's receiver, filtering, speech, efficiency, power, battery and other features need to be updated. But NOT the "anywhere, anyway" gestalt of the rig that makes the FT-817 so amazing, so versatile, so influential, so profound and so much FUN.

How can you NOT like this rig? How can you not find a use for it? How can you not find a place in the shack, in the mobile, in the field, in the hand for the FT-817? Every ham should have this rig!

The FT-817 provides an extraordinary Ham Radio experience..anywhere and everywhere.

"Hand-held, QSL.".

I'm taking it with me!

EchoFox

W0VET Rating: 5/5 Jun 3, 2015 10:15 Send this review to a friend
Picnic in a basket!   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I confess that I got away from QRP with an Icom 703 long ago . . . and now miss it. But there are two things that I enjoy in leisure time - a good picnic basket loaded with goodies, and a QSO challenge. With the 817nd I get both!

Let's see . . . enzfed antenna - check; portable tuner - check; external power supply - check . . .